Mullin's staff

• 913 replies

SJUFAN

Re: Mullin's staff
« Reply #860 on: August 17, 2015, 01:47:14 PM »
Who has been filing the role and recruiting for us since we are down a AC?

« Reply #861 on: August 17, 2015, 02:40:19 PM »
Greg St. Jean is going to be 3rd assistant. Young but really good basketball mind. Nice complimentary piece to Matt and Slice.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #862 on: August 17, 2015, 02:43:14 PM »
A good (yet funny setting) video back from Greg's playing days in college...

https://youtu.be/__ZqOrBd_G0

« Reply #863 on: August 17, 2015, 02:47:03 PM »

wpc77

« Reply #864 on: August 17, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »
Greg St. Jean is going to be 3rd assistant. Young but really good basketball mind. Nice complimentary piece to Matt and Slice.

In Mullin we trust.  Still, I am a bit surprised that there are no African Americans among the lead 5 positions (head coach, assistants, DoBo).  That will be used against us in recruiting, even if it should not be.

« Reply #865 on: August 17, 2015, 03:30:01 PM »

In Mullin we trust.  Still, I am a bit surprised that there are no African Americans among the lead 5 positions (head coach, assistants, DoBo).  That will be used against us in recruiting, even if it should not be.

It will be used (by parents, guardians, and/or coaches' of recruits), and, in some cases, it'll be effective (for our opposition).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:33:37 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #866 on: August 17, 2015, 03:32:16 PM »
 How about Mitch?

« Reply #867 on: August 17, 2015, 03:53:57 PM »
How about Mitch?

Mitch is deciding between Georgia and Ole Miss.

« Reply #868 on: August 17, 2015, 04:03:23 PM »
 Uggh

« Reply #869 on: August 17, 2015, 04:09:47 PM »

« Reply #870 on: August 17, 2015, 04:16:17 PM »
serious question. will this be the youngest AC hire ever? i believe this kid is 24.  the only person i could thinkof that would even come close would be pastner who started at 25.  Pastner if you remember was considered a prodigy, a child basketball savant. He was writing his own prospect evaluation and scouting at 13 and was a head coach of his own AAU team at 16 and coached emeka okafor and tj ford.  Thats pretty impressive company for St Jean.  Hopefully he lives up to that.    i researched some others that didnt come close but can anybody think of anyone younger?

« Reply #871 on: August 17, 2015, 04:17:24 PM »

A number of guys were considered and desired but this is the way staff shook out. Perhaps some guys will negative recruit pointing that out but ultimately I think skill, work ethic, and results will ultimately trump. Perhaps Mitch Richmond has role on staff as special assistant. I'm not sure.

« Reply #872 on: August 17, 2015, 04:21:36 PM »
serious question. will this be the youngest AC hire ever? i believe this kid is 24.  the only person i could thinkof that would even come close would be pastner who started at 25.  Pastner if you remember was considered a prodigy, a child basketball savant. He was writing his own prospect evaluation and scouting at 13 and was a head coach of his own AAU team at 16 and coached emeka okafor and tj ford.  Thats pretty impressive company for St Jean.  Hopefully he lives up to that.    i researched some others that didnt come close but can anybody think of anyone younger?

At one point Matt was youngest division 1 assistant and then my friend Zak Boisvert joined Iona staff becoming youngest. He's now at University of Maine after going to FDU. Zak is Dunlap disciple and runs the site http://pickandpop.net in his free time.

I'm not sure if St. Jean would become the youngest but possible. I enjoyed my time watching some games with him this July. All around good guy and definitely earned my respect talking some evals + philosophy with him.

paultzman

« Reply #873 on: August 17, 2015, 04:23:43 PM »

A number of guys were considered and desired but this is the way staff shook out. Perhaps some guys will negative recruit pointing that out but ultimately I think skill, work ethic, and results will ultimately trump. Perhaps Mitch Richmond has role on staff as special assistant. I'm not sure.
Likely

« Reply #874 on: August 17, 2015, 08:50:23 PM »

Perhaps some guys will negative recruit pointing that out but ultimately I think skill, work ethic, and results will ultimately trump. Perhaps Mitch Richmond has role on staff as special assistant. I'm not sure.

As, I stated earlier, it won't always be a problem, but it will occasionally be an issue.  I wasn't particularly referring to the opposition (as, it'll come from time to time), as much as I'm referring to the parents and coaches (AAU and High School) of recruits.

I've noticed below that Paultzman mentioned it's "likely," in reference to Richmond.  So, I'm gonna assume Richmond is expected to be on the staff in some form.

Chilleb

« Reply #875 on: August 17, 2015, 10:24:06 PM »

+1

« Reply #876 on: August 18, 2015, 01:20:09 AM »

It will be used (by parents, guardians, and/or coaches' of recruits), and, in some cases, it'll .

I thought about the same Sentiment weeks back. If your recruiting kids to a new basketball regime who check the hispanic or black check box and the staff doesn't match that ,It will make it less attractive to recruits for plethora of reasons.Maybe the top college coaches and their programs  can get away with that but even they are not that arrogant to compile a staff which will not reflect the majority of their players.

Were there any top 25 teams last year with a lack of diversity  the staff?

It is a shame this is an issue in 2015 , but it is.
This actually a very good case stuff , but I rather not experiment with my favorite college 🏀 team.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 01:24:42 AM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Johnny23

« Reply #877 on: August 18, 2015, 06:41:45 AM »
Is that kid even old enough to buy alcohol?  Talk about green behind the ears. Sounds like Mully's doling out some favors to his old pals and their families.

Wods317

« Reply #878 on: August 18, 2015, 09:32:47 AM »
Is that kid even old enough to buy alcohol?  Talk about green behind the ears. Sounds like Mully's doling out some favors to his old pals and their families.

I think that is a huge stretch. He will not be the first guy to play college basketball then be hired as a shortly after their career ended. To say he is doing favors to people by hiring coaches is really questioning his integrity which isn't fair. If Mullin thinks he can do the job I couldn't careless if he is 25 or 65.

wpc77

« Reply #879 on: August 18, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »

I think that is a huge stretch. He will not be the first guy to play college basketball then be hired as a shortly after their career ended. To say he is doing favors to people by hiring coaches is really questioning his integrity which isn't fair. If Mullin thinks he can do the job I couldn't careless if he is 25 or 65.

Brad Stevens became an assistant at Butler at 24, so this is not unheard of.  But it is a risk objectively.  I do agree that no one should draw conclusions that this relates to cronyism.  Mullin has given us no reason to believe that is the case (yet, and hopefully he never will)