Over/under 12 total wins next season

• 55 replies

Foad

Re: Over/under 12 total wins next season
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2016, 09:54:46 AM »
Richmond has never called a timeout, made a sub, prepared a team for a game, led a film session, ran a practice, and plenty of other things coaches at this level had to do thousands of times before they got the level of The big east.

By that logic there are thousands of high school coaches with career losing records who are more qualified to coach in the Big East than is HOF er Mitch Richmond, who played for inter alia Lon Kruger, Dick Motta, Don Nelson, Phil Jackson, John Thompson, and Lenny Wilkins. Possible he learned something about basketball during that time? No, because he never cut his teeth calling a time out in a CYO game.

Once again, coaching is not hard. If it was, fewer complete and utter nice persons would be successful at it.

I am not saying I disagree with you but I always wondered if it is true that by playing for good coaches it helps you become a smarter player if you play for a terrible coach does it make you dumber? Like after playing for Norm for four years did his players forget how to dribble and not know what a basketball was?

I don't think Norm was dumb - I don't think he was smart either - he just didn't have the horses. No one was going to in the old BE with Geno as the go to guy. Probably not the new BE either. Same as last year with Johnson and Mouivika.

I can see how playing for a bad coach makes you lazy. Being lazy definitely makes you a worse player.

Foad

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2016, 10:01:11 AM »
Coaching is hard

No, it isn't. Neurosurgery is hard. String theory is hard. Being a glorified gym teacher is not.

Exactly.  Let's remember Basket Weaving major Patrick Ewing is considered to be an excellent assistant coach and has been considered for head coaching jobs.  You dont need to be a brainiac in life as long as you know basketball and can communicate that well to your players.

Yes, and especially In game coaching, which might matter at the margins. But Villanova didn't win the NC because Wright drew up the last play on the whiteboard during a time out. He called the end of game play they ran every day in practice for years. Every imbecile in the stands knows who should start or when to substitute or when to call a time out. You have to be a prize numbskull like Steve Lavin to not be able to figure that stuff out.

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2016, 02:44:11 PM »
Over/under should be 16. I'll take the over.

Man, if I could bet the over on Baldi's line and the under on yours I'd take out another mortgage on the house

Care to wager?

goredmen

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2016, 02:53:41 PM »

Man, if I could bet the over on Baldi's line and the under on yours I'd take out another mortgage on the house

Care to wager?

My point was that I'd have a free chance of doubling my money if the team middles Baldi's line of 12 and your line of 16 which is extremely possible. So if Baldi wants action on his line of 12, then sure I'll take you up on this offer. I think 16 is a touch too high but it is not ridiculous, and if I bet on under 16 by itself I'd find myself rooting against the team most games, which I don't want to do.

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2016, 02:55:15 PM »
15-17 wins is a disappointing season for a Big East team. Getting to that level of wins is more about having few holes than it about having quality players. Last season the team had more holes than a block of Swiss cheese: no pg,  no secondary ball-handlers, no experience, no continuity, no bulk, no athletic ability, no depth, etc. There are no glaring holes this year. That alone doesn't make them good, but it means they won't be bad.

The backcourt is dynamic. Lovett could very well go for 5+ turnovers and Ponds could show poor shot selection, but those two will really only be stopped by themselves. Throw in Bash and Yakwe and that athletic ability alone will win plenty of games.

« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2016, 04:07:10 PM »

Care to wager?

Marillac you bully

« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2016, 01:30:18 PM »

Care to wager?

My point was that I'd have a free chance of doubling my money if the team middles Baldi's line of 12 and your line of 16 which is extremely possible. So if Baldi wants action on his line of 12, then sure I'll take you up on this offer. I think 16 is a touch too high but it is not ridiculous, and if I bet on under 16 by itself I'd find myself rooting against the team most games, which I don't want to do.

I think we are going to have tons of problems putting the ball in the basket

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2016, 03:13:44 PM »
Because we will still be very young, Baldi, or because so many new guys have to gel? 

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 03:29:14 PM »
Because we will still be very young, Baldi, or because so many new guys have to gel? 

In my opinion, combo of both

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2016, 04:11:42 PM »
Could see that.

Hope is that Lovett is the straw that stirs the drink on the offensive end, and that Ahmed is farther along than your typical newcomer because he is a JUCO kid.  Ponds and Freudenberg will take time to adjust, like most freshman.

« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2016, 04:27:50 PM »
Could see that.

Hope is that Lovett is the straw that stirs the drink on the offensive end, and that Ahmed is farther along than your typical newcomer because he is a JUCO kid.  Ponds and Freudenberg will take time to adjust, like most freshman.

Lovett is key. He needs to get both Sima and Yakwe easy baskets.  We need to run every chance we get, plenty of young horses to do so
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 04:28:52 PM by Marco Baldi »

Marillac

« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2016, 05:14:31 PM »

Care to wager?

Crazy talk. I could see defense and maybe rebounding being issues, but they'll score.
I've never seen a team get fewer easy points than last year's squad. That will change with Lovett alone.

« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2016, 05:17:19 PM »
I'll take the ovah!

Johnny23

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »
13-15 win season I'm predicting.

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2016, 05:55:18 PM »

Care to wager?

Crazy talk. I could see defense and maybe rebounding being issues, but they'll score.
I've never seen a team get fewer easy points than last year's squad. That will change with Lovett alone.

Gotta score more points than the other team to win. Didn't do much of that last year.

Foad

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2016, 06:12:47 PM »
Gotta score more points than the other team to win. Didn't do much of that last year.

Didn't do much of anything last year. If this year is not better in all regards there's an issue.