Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?

• 163 replies
Re: Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2016, 07:15:48 AM »
Baldi - you always complain about my posts - but once can you say something positive about the SJU coaching staff

Make believe you are posting about Iona
Most people outsiders want to give Mullin and staff a chance but not you and your invisible unnamed sources
Say what ever you want about me but I am loyal to SJU not like you.
Do you go to practice ever - give Richmond a chance.
You  don't like Matt because he likes to tell everybody how hard he works and you don't like Mitch because he keeps a low profile.
Zach B - who has real sources says people within the program says they are going to play more aggressive and play more zone.
Looks like Chris is already willing to make adjustments to improve the team
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 07:31:26 AM by Scheppy »

« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2016, 09:29:17 AM »
Win a game and I'll say something nice.

Until then, beatings will commence until morale improves

Poison

« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2016, 10:23:14 AM »
Baldi - you always complain about my posts - but once can you say something positive about the SJU coaching staff

Most people outsiders want to give Mullin and staff a chance but not you and your invisible unnamed sources
You  don't like Matt because he likes to tell everybody how hard he works and you don't like Mitch because he keeps a low profile.
Zach B - who has real sources says people within the program says they are going to play more aggressive and play more zone.

Who are most people? Right now, it's way too soon to write the book on Mullin's coaching career. Coaching, like a lot of things, requires practice when you've never done it before. I was against this hire even more than I was against Norm Roberts, but even Norm's players improved. 5 players returned after a year of Chris Mullin, and after 7 games it looks as if all 7 are worse than when they first arrived on campus.

He's not getting fired after we get killed tonight, or after we lost to some other cup cake, but I can't for the life of me figure out why Mullin is here for any reason other than that he's a name.

« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2016, 10:46:47 AM »
The problem was I think there other choice they wanted Danny Hurley didn't want to come.
A lot of people liked the coach from Manhattan - and maybe if Chris decides to leave after this year he would be the right choice.
I actually thought Lavin was a great guy and a great finisher but after he missed the year with the cancer his heart wasn't in it any more.
I know that Tarrick Turner has no experience but I feel he would be a great choice
But since Chris is the coach now I would like to stay loyal to him until after the third year

« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2016, 11:24:26 AM »
So let me understand - 7 games into season 2 and the first season with kids he picked/recruited etc.  the masses are calling for Mullin's head.  Really ?

Foad

« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
I know that Tarrick Turner has no experience but I feel he would be a great choice

Every time I think your credibility has bottomed out the floor gets lowered.

TONYD3

« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2016, 11:50:28 AM »
So let me understand - 7 games into season 2 and the first season with kids he picked/recruited etc.  the masses are calling for Mullin's head.  Really ?

Yes . Have you seen the games ?

« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2016, 11:56:49 AM »

Every time I think your credibility has bottomed out the floor gets lowered.
This we agree on. OMG Scheppy please tell me you were PWI when you wrote that ( posting while intoxicated )

Tarik is a great guy and in my opinion improved a lot on broadcasts but oh man come on

goredmen

« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2016, 12:00:43 PM »

We lost to a team that hasn't won a non conference game against a D1 team in two years. We lost to a team that this year lost to Texas Southern at home, lost to UMBC by 22, Rice by 22 and Montana State by 25

« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2016, 12:02:33 PM »
RPI at 270

boo3

« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2016, 12:17:32 PM »
I too hope Tarik Turner was a joke...

Dec 2 and calling for Mullin's head...astonishing . 

TONYD3

« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2016, 12:29:52 PM »

Only going to get worse. How do you think we will do in conference?

boo3

« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »

I disagree.. Not sure it can get much worse.. Only one way to go...up.. Team has talent, I think they will get better..

Guess it depends on your expectations...  Do you really think over reacting and changing coaches every 3,4,5 years is the right way to run a basketball program?  I don't.

School has put all their eggs in the Mullin basket.. For better or for worse.. He's not going anywhere...Norm and Lavin got 6 and 5 years respectively..

But, by all means, continue to bang your heads on the wall calling for change, yet again. 

Foad

« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2016, 01:02:09 PM »
RPI at 270

You're overplaying your hand. Your act only works so long as the reader remains convinced that you're actually a Saint John's fan. Try being a little less gleeful.

ras

« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2016, 01:07:09 PM »

I disagree.. Not sure it can get much worse.. Only one way to go...up.. Team has talent, I think they will get better..

Guess it depends on your expectations...  Do you really think over reacting and changing coaches every 3,4,5 years is the right way to run a basketball program?  I don't.

School has put all their eggs in the Mullin basket.. For better or for worse.. He's not going anywhere...Norm and Lavin got 6 and 5 years respectively..

But, by all means, continue to bang your heads on the wall calling for change, yet again. 
I think the talk of getting rid of Mullin now is ridiculous. But hiring an experienced coach for an assistant is not. Like I said before, when you add up the coaching exp. of the whole staff it doesn't add up to much. Can't have every coach learn on the job. Last year Slice had exp., but he was known for recruiting not his coaching acumen.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:08:15 PM by ras »

« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2016, 01:33:23 PM »
Foad who would you want for the coach - you always have a wise ass answer if somebody suggest something.

And don't say Seth Greenberg because you like his name - he got fire at Virginia Tech
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:36:33 PM by Scheppy »

Foad

« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2016, 01:52:44 PM »
Foad who would you want for the coach - you always have a wise ass answer if somebody suggest something.

I don't want a new coach. I want better players.

« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2016, 02:04:39 PM »
He starting to get better players next year he has a good center coming I and two transfers one from Michigan State and Arizona.

I just wished he had another strong recruiter because Matt cant be everywhere.

« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »
RPI at 270

You're overplaying your hand. Your act only works so long as the reader remains convinced that you're actually a Saint John's fan. Try being a little less gleeful.

Yes. Maybe I"over looked" that

ras

« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »

I don't want a new coach. I want better players.

Foad, How would you rate Mullins coaching and do you think his  inexperience is a factor?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 04:58:39 PM by ras »