Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?

• 163 replies

Foad

Re: Coaching staff.. What needs to happen?
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2016, 05:06:35 PM »
Foad, How would you rate Mullins coaching and do you think his  inexperience is a factor?

I wouldn't rate his coaching. He is what his record says he is. Yes I think his inexperience is a factor. Of course it is. I also think the situation is a factor: he's half a dozen games into year two of a five year plan, starting from absolutely nothing. If he had better players he'd be a better coach, that I'm pretty sure of.

goredmen

« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2016, 05:13:31 PM »
Foad, How would you rate Mullins coaching and do you think his  inexperience is a factor?

I wouldn't rate his coaching. He is what his record says he is. Yes I think his inexperience is a factor. Of course it is. I also think the situation is a factor: he's half a dozen games into year two of a five year plan, starting from absolutely nothing. If he had better players he'd be a better coach, that I'm pretty sure of.

He has better players than Delaware State does

TONYD3

« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2016, 05:51:50 PM »
Plenty of good players . No team we played so far had much better players. Lovett, ponds, fredenburg, yakwe all 4 stars rivals . Owens, sima , Williams, 3 star rivals . I think mussini got 4 stars from scout. Stats don't mean everything but they mean something.
Decent coach with this team is .500. Good coach  we are 5-2.
Anyone watching and thinking mullin knows what he is doing is lying to himself .

Foad

« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2016, 06:11:30 PM »

And Indiana has better players than Wayne State. So what? No doubt Crean needs an X and O guru like Tom Pecora to help him on the sidelines. It was a bad loss. Shit happens. Before that there were the sort of normal losses that come with having young players. None of this - not even Delaware State  - is all that surprising.

Foad

« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2016, 06:17:03 PM »
Plenty of good players . No team we played so far had much better players. Lovett, ponds, fredenburg, yakwe all 4 stars rivals . Owens, sima , Williams, 3 star rivals . I think mussini got 4 stars from scout. Stats don't mean everything but they mean something.
Decent coach with this team is .500. Good coach  we are 5-2.

Yes, Darien Williams is an excellent player and Federico Mussini is a dynamo. Baruq Owens is that magical sort of player who fouls out in 11 minutes. I wish we had four of him. And the German kid, what he's a wonder. Don't let that 2 for 11 from the field fool you, he's the best shooter I've seen since Jason Kapono. You certainly are a keen judge of talent.

Anyone watching and thinking mullin knows what he is doing is lying to himself .

Maybe you should give him some pointers. Send a cover latter telling him how you once coached a seventh grade girls team to a third place finish in an after school league and explain to him your theory about screaming at the players and not screaming at them because basketball is hard and easy. That might serve as his wake up call.

goredmen

« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2016, 06:48:24 PM »

And Indiana has better players than Wayne State. So what? No doubt Crean needs an X and O guru like Tom Pecora to help him on the sidelines. It was a bad loss. Shit happens. Before that there were the sort of normal losses that come with having young players. None of this - not even Delaware State  - is all that surprising.

Delaware State is surprising. We were favored by 22 points. KenPom had it as the 3rd biggest upset in all of college basketball for the month of November

TONYD3

« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2016, 06:58:58 PM »
Williams isn't good. He is very bad. Old dominion and deleware state would live to have him. I am not a fan of mussini or Ellison. Every team except Michigan state would love to have both of them .

goredmen

« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2016, 07:39:06 PM »
Williams isn't good. He is very bad. Old dominion and deleware state would live to have him. I am not a fan of mussini or Ellison. Every team except Michigan state would love to have both of them .

Nobody above the NEC or MAAC would touch Ellison with a 10 foot pole. Let's be real now

lihoop

« Reply #148 on: December 04, 2016, 09:29:58 AM »
Just curious, did anyone notice that Mullin's home in Manhasset is up for sale since early November?

Poison

« Reply #149 on: December 04, 2016, 09:49:42 AM »
Mullin has about as much talent as Norm Roberts did during the 05/06 season. We did what St.John's fans have done for ages. We had unreasonable expectations. At this point, we need to accept that this will be a very slow rebuilding process, if by some miracle it ever happens. Our braintrust has outdone themselves by Chris Mullin their head coach. Massiello, Cluess, Pikiell, Hurley etc all had their good points and bad ones, but none were vane enough to belief that experience wasn't necessary to do this job.

I'm not laughing at Mullin, and I'm certainly not ready to fire him, but I see no reason to believe that he has any idea how to coach.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:18:23 AM by Poison »

« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2016, 09:56:13 AM »
All those years in playing in the NBA - don't you think he could have pick up a few pointers through the years

The announcer who also played in the NBA said he wanted and coach like Don Nelson

Poison

« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2016, 10:19:39 AM »
All those years in playing in the NBA - don't you think he could have pick up a few pointers through the years

The announcer who also played in the NBA said he wanted and coach like Don Nelson

I think you are confusing understanding the game at a high level with being able to teach the game at a high level. Mullin probably did that as well. He probably figured that players would learn a lot faster than they are.

The key now is whether or not Mullin realizes that the way in which he and his staff have coached the team is the problem, or if he believes that this is just a young team and that's the only reason for how we've played. If it's the latter, I hope he resigns in March.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 10:22:47 AM by Poison »

« Reply #152 on: January 02, 2017, 01:40:29 AM »

I think you are confusing understanding the game at a high level with being able to teach the game at a high level. Mullin probably did that as well. He probably figured that players would learn a lot faster than they are.

The key now is whether or not Mullin realizes that the way in which he and his staff have coached the team is the problem, or if he believes that this is just a young team and that's the only reason for how we've played. If it's the latter, I hope he resigns in March.

Let's revisit this one.  Perhaps another look at the ever popular "Mitch Richmond needs to go" thread is also in order.

Poison

« Reply #153 on: January 02, 2017, 01:49:02 AM »

Let's revisit this one.  Perhaps another look at the ever popular "Mitch Richmond needs to go" thread is also in order.

Let's give it a little more time. The improvement is visible, but we have a long way to go. We just beat DePaul. There was no Quentin Richardson on this team. Not even a Wilson Chandler.

cjfish

« Reply #154 on: January 02, 2017, 10:07:23 AM »
Mullin et al are doing a great job of developing this team.  A young, inexperienced team needs time to improve.....yes, it is a process......ball is moving well, assists are up, 3 wins  in a row.....there will be a few more inexplicable bad games due to their youth but there will be upsets as well.....they are a young group and moving in the right direction.  Stop complaining and being pessimistic, guard play is great and everyone but Freud and Yakwe are going in the right direction.  I would not want to play us with those 2 quick little guys ready to pick your pocket and control the game.

« Reply #155 on: January 02, 2017, 11:01:24 AM »
Let's give it a little more time. 

Exactly! 

Because evaluating a coach mid-season, and by "mid-season" I actually mean early
pre-conference game season with the best player out or recovering from an ankle injury, is stupid!

« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2017, 02:32:58 PM »
2 staff openings?

« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
Who do you think?

goredmen

« Reply #158 on: May 24, 2017, 06:35:41 PM »
Any updates here?

Foad

« Reply #159 on: May 24, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »
Any updates here?

No, but it's nice to see that my posts hold up over time.