Greg Williams-6'3" G Lafayette, LA - ST. JOHN’S

• 214 replies
Re: Greg Williams-6'3" G Lafayette, LA - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2018, 01:29:13 PM »
Greg reminds me of the Khyri Thomas, and other lower rated recruits who end up going to other schools in the Big East then turn into great college players. I think he's going to be a real difference maker down the road.

He’s a 4 star on some of the sites. He will have an impact right away hopefully.

True. The guard rotation looks to be pretty crowded next year. I wonder what the pecking order will be. If everyone returns you would have Ponds and Simon as the starters, and maybe a third guard depending how the roster turns out. Then you have Trimble, Williams, and Dixon. Wonder how the minutes will be split among those three guys. Also looks like they're recruiting anther guard for next year in McGowens. Maybe the staff is anticipating Trimble leaving or Ponds going to the NBA?

Simon forward. He can play some point but the last thing he is is a shooting guard.

I was thinking Simon at point and Ponds at SG. Getting McGowens (or another talented PG) and putting him at PG, Ponds at SG, and Simon at SF seems ideal though.

Ponds much better pg than Simon IMO, and like my good buddy wasju has said, ponds is coming back to play point.

Ponds 1.  Dixon 2. Simon and Clark as your forwards.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 01:29:56 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2018, 01:44:15 PM »
And I think this is fine if Dixon can play make to some degree and knock down shots.  You can play that lineup because of Simon's ability to defend, rebound, penetrate and cause havoc, and Clark's ability to knock down 3's.  You'll also see some lineups with Clark at the 3 and Keita/Owens at the 4/5 or mixed with hopefully a transfer big.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2018, 01:45:28 PM »
Greg reminds me of the Khyri Thomas, and other lower rated recruits who end up going to other schools in the Big East then turn into great college players. I think he's going to be a real difference maker down the road.

He’s a 4 star on some of the sites. He will have an impact right away hopefully.

True. The guard rotation looks to be pretty crowded next year. I wonder what the pecking order will be. If everyone returns you would have Ponds and Simon as the starters, and maybe a third guard depending how the roster turns out. Then you have Trimble, Williams, and Dixon. Wonder how the minutes will be split among those three guys. Also looks like they're recruiting anther guard for next year in McGowens. Maybe the staff is anticipating Trimble leaving or Ponds going to the NBA?

Simon forward. He can play some point but the last thing he is is a shooting guard.

I was thinking Simon at point and Ponds at SG. Getting McGowens (or another talented PG) and putting him at PG, Ponds at SG, and Simon at SF seems ideal though.

Ponds much better pg than Simon IMO, and like my good buddy wasju has said, ponds is coming back to play point.

Ponds 1.  Dixon 2. Simon and Clark as your forwards.

I think Ponds is a better PG too, but I think he's best when he's looking to score off the ball. I can't see Dixon starting right away, but maybe eventually. I'm excited to see Owens move over to PF, and putting Keith at C. I think Owens is much better suited for a stretch PF role and off-ball help shot blocker. If they go big I can see maybe Simon-Ponds-Clark-Owens-Keita.

TONYD3

« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2018, 02:16:58 PM »
my understanding 4 have big east level players. Are any of these new guys good enough to push our veterans? Are they all still playing 30 plus minutes? Can’t see either simon or ponds coming off the court and still being competitive. Hope I am wrong.

Pete88

« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2018, 03:30:45 PM »
my understanding 4 have big east level players. Are any of these new guys good enough to push our veterans? Are they all still playing 30 plus minutes? Can’t see either simon or ponds coming off the court and still being competitive. Hope I am wrong.

So you don't anything about the new guys, but you know they won't be any good? 

« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »

We were ultra competitive without Ponds vs Seton Hall and Butler. Ponds is a great player and when he is playing well our potential is enormous but when he isn't it does hurt us because he will still pretty much dominate what we do. It is a team game and other players relish there time and opportunity to shine. With our increased depth we will be fine when either guy needs a rest.

TONYD3

« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2018, 03:40:16 PM »

In my opinion we need a PG.
dixion is a 2 star shooting guard, will he get minutes over ponds.
Roberts- is built like polee and he is a PF. Read somewhere that he should redshirt
Keita- I read is very raw
Don Bosco kid- 6’4 PF - 2 star
Diakite- don’t know anything
Williams- 3/4  Star combo guard- good athlete
That is my understanding of the new players. Question- are any of these guys capable of pushing our veterans for minutes?

« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2018, 03:56:10 PM »

Roberts- is built like polee and he is a PF. Read somewhere that he should redshirt
That is my understanding of the new players. Question- are any of these guys capable of pushing our veterans for minutes?

Dixon was a 2 star recruit. Yakwe was a 4 star recruit. I’ll take the guy who was a conference freshmen of the year, at that point his hs rating goes out the window. I expect him to be a double digit scorer.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »

Trimble came to school already fat. If he doesn’t get into shape, he’s nothing more than a chucked, and he wasn’t even good at that. Should depend on his commitment to improving his conditioning and his game. We have no idea what he can do outside of his jumper because he’s so fat he can’t move.

« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2018, 04:00:54 PM »

If you want to take the glass 3/4 empty approach. There are probably guys in NBA who started out 2 star how long do you hang that label on a guy? Averaged 16 pts as fr. on low D1 level and should be at least a capable back up and being somewhat raw as a big does not preclude making a solid contribution. Hakeem Olajawon was considered raw when he first started playing for Houston in college but he still contributed very nicely (not comparing the two). Role and depth players don't have to be world beaters as long as core 4 stays intact and hopefully add a grad transfer who can make a solid contribution. No we are not winning the NC next year nor the BE for that matter but improvement should be noticeable and has to lead to higher rated recruits in the '19 class for us to go where we would all like to go.

Poison

« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2018, 04:02:18 PM »

Dixon was a 2 star recruit. Yakwe was a 4 star recruit. I’ll take the guy who was a conference freshmen of the year, at that point his hs rating goes out the window. I expect him to be a double digit scorer.

Yakwe was all rookie team in the BE. He regressed from the second his sophomore season started. At some point, the staff is going to have to show that they have something to offer outside of Chris Mullin’s name.

Pete88

« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2018, 04:08:04 PM »

Why would you expect Dixon to get minutes over Ponds - our best player?  Makes no sense - don't think anyone is expecting him to supplant Ponds but provide support.
Question should be, is Dixon better than any other reserve guard we had this year - which was Trimble and Cole (not counting Lovett) - if he is, which based on his performance last year, he should be - then that is an upgrade.
In regards to the others - Keita, Roberts, Diakite, and Earlington - are any of them better than Yakwe and Ali?  A blowup doll would signify an improvement over those 2.

Marillac

« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »

We can win 20+ games with Simon at the 3 and 4. We aren't going anywhere if he is PG.

« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »
Simon is someone we should think about in the terms of positionless basketball like in the pros. I don't think he should be our primary ball handler -- especially down the stretch of a close game -- but if he shows improvement with his jumpshot (I know the #s but I'm never confident with him shooting the ball), becomes a better defender, and our 3rd/4th option on offense, we're a top 35 team.

Pete88

« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2018, 04:32:31 PM »

Trimble came to school already fat. If he doesn’t get into shape, he’s nothing more than a chucked, and he wasn’t even good at that. Should depend on his commitment to improving his conditioning and his game. We have no idea what he can do outside of his jumper because he’s so fat he can’t move.

Shame on you for fat shaming the kid.  You suck as a fan and a liberal.  Be better

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2018, 05:01:19 PM »

I watched Trimble's HS mix tape the other day, and couldn't believe it was the same player. Obviously the level of competition was much less, but he looked in shape, and most of the time he was handling the ball and taking it to the basket. We hardly saw any of that from him this year. Hope he wakes up and lays off the junk food so he can be more like the player in the highlights I saw.

TONYD3

« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2018, 05:39:57 PM »

Why would you expect Dixon to get minutes over Ponds - our best player?  Makes no sense - don't think anyone is expecting him to supplant Ponds but provide support.
Question should be, is Dixon better than any other reserve guard we had this year - which was Trimble and Cole (not counting Lovett) - if he is, which based on his performance last year, he should be - then that is an upgrade.
In regards to the others - Keita, Roberts, Diakite, and Earlington - are any of them better than Yakwe and Ali?  A blowup doll would signify an improvement over those 2.

Yakwe 4 Star recuit- according to rivals had 11 offers - including nova, uconn, Kansas, and Oregon.
Saying these new guys are better then him is far from a definite. Ahmed was also lost.
Was not comparing Dixon to ponds. But ponds can’t play 40 every night. Expecting Dixon to be a double digit scorer is a little ambitious. Trimble and the walk on are not big east level players (yet).

Poison

« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2018, 10:51:25 PM »

Shame on you for fat shaming the kid.  You suck as a fan and a liberal.  Be better

Pete, are you a fat guy? I’m sorry if I offended you and the rights of fat people everywhere. This is an 18 year old male college freshman. Don’t be such a PC snowflake pussy.

« Reply #198 on: March 10, 2018, 11:11:15 PM »
Did you actually say that Poison,?  Did you hear the one about what one snowflake
said to the other? 

pmg911

« Reply #199 on: March 12, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »

Trimble should call the Powell kid from SHU and ask what a difference it makes when you are actually in shape vs. out of shape...

Trimble needs to lose 15 - 20lbs...    don't forget, Coach Mullin was a fitness freak as a  player after he returned from rehab. He was always among league leaders in minutes played, regularly rode stationary bike for an hour after playing 40 minutes and he is not going to stand for kids being out of shape.