Diakite's Rehab

• 21 replies

paultzman

Diakite's Rehab
« on: October 26, 2017, 06:17:14 PM »
Per Zach B: "Was told freshman Boubacar Diakite coming along well in rehab. Could be fully cleared by new year". #sjubb

hnk

Re: Diakite's Rehab
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 06:25:20 PM »
I assume he will still redshirt for this year?

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 10:25:14 AM »

Don't ever assume with St. John's. Yakwe was the clearest redshirt candidate I've ever seen here and they played him.

ras

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 10:59:08 AM »
I agree w you regarding Yakwe. But Mullin was doing a total rebuild and absolutely needed Yakwe. We have Owens, a sr Amar, bash,Clark and Yakwe.  Factoring in his rawness and injury, I would be surprised if he does not redshirt.

Foad

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 01:59:42 PM »

Don't ever assume with St. John's. Yakwe was the clearest redshirt candidate I've ever seen here and they played him.

Has any SJU player ever profited by redshirting? I can't think of one.

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 02:48:17 PM »
He will still redshirt.

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 04:01:26 PM »

Owens?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »

Owens?

Didn't Owens sit as a transfer? I meant voluntary or medical red shirt, like Felix Balamou. Lavin gave himself for Pointer's senior year saying his suggestion that Pointer redshirt motivated him. But that doesn't count and Lavin was FOS anyway. Quincy Roberts might have benefited but not as a SJ player. I'm not saying it never happened but I can't think of anyone.

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 04:38:57 PM »

Owens?

Didn't Owens sit as a transfer? I meant voluntary or medical red shirt, like Felix Balamou. Lavin gave himself for Pointer's senior year saying his suggestion that Pointer redshirt motivated him. But that doesn't count and Lavin was FOS anyway. Quincy Roberts might have benefited but not as a SJ player. I'm not saying it never happened but I can't think of anyone.

Boo Harvey's academic suspension worked out pretty well.

Foad

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 05:37:54 PM »

Owens?

Boo Harvey's academic suspension worked out pretty well.

That's not what I'm talking about, I'm talking about red shirting an otherwise eligible player.

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 06:39:54 PM »

We have been a broken program for almost 20 years and that is not the type of program that successfully redshirts kids. Xavier has had at least three former redshirted drafted in the NBA like David West. Creighton redshirt kids all the time and Patton was a first round pick this year after his redshirt.

Indirectly, we've had some forced redshirts that turned out very well:  Bootsy, Anthony Glover, Owens, Showtime, and hopefully Clark and Simon.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 07:02:03 PM »

We have been a broken program for almost 20 years and that is not the type of program that successfully redshirts kids. Xavier has had at least three former redshirted drafted in the NBA like David West. Creighton redshirt kids all the time and Patton was a first round pick this year after his redshirt.

Indirectly, we've had some forced redshirts that turned out very well:  Bootsy, Anthony Glover, Owens, Showtime, and hopefully Clark and Simon.

Redshirting can work. I remember Otis Hill was a redshirt at Syracuse. St.John's has consistently been too careless to redshirt players. That requires a significantly smarter coaching staff.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 08:37:06 PM »

Owens?

Foad shocked that you misremembered and thought Lavin redshirted after all the well justified criticism he received for ripping the redshirt off of him midway thru the season just to give him a handful of minutes for the whole season and wasting a year of the kid's eligibility.

Poison

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 08:51:31 PM »

Owens?

Foad shocked that you misremembered and thought Lavin redshirted after all the well justified criticism he received for ripping the redshirt off of him midway thru the season just to give him a handful of minutes for the whole season and wasting a year of the kid's eligibility.

It was terrible what Lavin did to Balamou. Instead, he should have told him to transfer to Manhattan.

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 08:53:28 PM »

Owens?

It was terrible what Lavin did to Balamou. Instead, he should have told him to transfer to Manhattan.
Agree, he may have received some coaching at Manhattan.

Foad

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 08:59:28 PM »
We have been a broken program for almost 20 years and that is not the type of program that successfully redshirts kids.

Yeah, exactly. And the way you get unbroken is to recruit players who can contribute and put them on the floor.

Fine, but there's no evidence that red shirting benefited any of these players any more than playing a year would have. 

Foad

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 09:01:19 PM »

I picked Balamou specifically because he got screwed for having his red shirt removed.

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 10:00:10 PM »
We have been a broken program for almost 20 years and that is not the type of program that successfully redshirts kids.

Yeah, exactly. And the way you get unbroken is to recruit players who can contribute and put them on the floor.

Fine, but there's no evidence that red shirting benefited any of these players any more than playing a year would have. 

There can never be indisputable evidence that a redshirt worked or didn't.

ras

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 10:56:17 PM »
The redshirt only is advantageous if the player stays 5 years. The redshirt provides an opportunity for the player to develop physically and get an xtra year of practice  and player development w the team. Of course the downside is they can transfer for there 5 th year w/o sitting if they graduate, IE Jones.. Owens isn’t the type of redshirt Fun was referring to. But, if you think he is skinny now, he was a toothpick when he arrived and the xtra year helped him both physically and skllwise.  As I mentioned Diakite is raw and injured . The redshirt year will give him some seasoning before stepping on the court. In this case it also gives him medical care and rehab.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:00:41 PM by ras »

Foad

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »

There can never be indisputable evidence that a redshirt worked or didn't.

If you red shirt a kid and he stinks when he returns how isn't that evidence that red shirting didn't work if the point of red shirting is to give him a year to prepare to not stink.