hnk

Hofstra Scrimmage?
« on: October 28, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »
Who looked good etc? Thanks

Re: Hofstra Scrimmage?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »
Per Zach B:

@NYPost_Brazille

St Johns beat Hofstra in scrimmage by 15. Justin Simon with 18 and 9. Marvin Clark 16. Shamorie Ponds Marcus LoVett double figures #sjubb

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 06:31:54 PM »
Per Zach B:

@NYPost_Brazille

St Johns beat Hofstra in scrimmage by 15. Justin Simon with 18 and 9. Marvin Clark 16. Shamorie Ponds Marcus LoVett double figures #sjubb

:)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »
Good numbers by Simon. Is that 9 ast or rebounds?

Wods317

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 07:00:30 PM »
If we can get production even close to that level from those two with improved defense could be a nice season for us.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 07:39:33 PM »

@NYPost_Brazille 

Won by 13 not 15

I think that really tilted the payouts in Vegas.  ::)

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 07:40:05 PM »
Better result than losing to STAC by 30+. Nice start guys.

goredmen

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 07:46:08 PM »
Good numbers by Simon. Is that 9 ast or rebounds?

Rebounds

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2017, 10:15:16 PM »
Per Zach B:

@NYPost_Brazille

Exactly what we wanted to see to start.

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2017, 10:38:03 PM »
If Simon and Clark can score consistently, alongside Bash, LoVett, and Ponds, this team is far harder to defend. Opponents can't focus on simply making LoVett and Ponds work very hard for their points to hold us down. This could be an offensively deep team with different guys stepping up on different days. Four consistent double figure scorers would be nice balance.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 11:31:40 PM »
Good for Simon & Clark after the long wait.

Would have equally liked to see Yakwe & Owens perform well in an early session like this.

QuanMan

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 01:46:28 AM »
Per Zach B:

@NYPost_Brazille

Exactly what the doctor ordered, after 1.5 years of wondering what if, our questions have been answered. We have not 1 but 2 immediate contributors that are more talented and well rounded than the kids that transferred out in the Spring.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 02:34:42 AM »
After hearing we beat lowly Hofstra by a whopping 13 points I hear that Duke is trying to cancel their game with us. Now I know you can't read to much into the results of this scrimmage but reading some of the posts in this thread it sounds like we are final 4 bound. Sorry to be Debbie Downer or Negative Nancy but if the 2 new guys played well added to what we have returning shouldn't we beat Hofstra by more than 13 points?

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 06:24:55 AM »
After hearing we beat lowly Hofstra by a whopping 13 points I hear that Duke is trying to cancel their game with us. Now I know you can't read to much into the results of this scrimmage but reading some of the posts in this thread it sounds like we are final 4 bound. Sorry to be Debbie Downer or Negative Nancy but if the 2 new guys played well added to what we have returning shouldn't we beat Hofstra by more than 13 points?

Maybe coach Mullin didn’t have his starters in the final couple of minutes. We don’t know what happened outside of us winning. Providence is projected to finish in the upper half of the Big East and they just lost to Carleton College.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 07:53:54 AM »

This was a scrimmage last year's team could have lost. A double-digit win over Hofstra is great news and puts us where many hoped we'd be at this early stage. One step at a time.

Wods317

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 11:29:54 AM »

It's a scrimmage first of all. So the goal is to get everyone playing time and see who meshes together. The goal is not to win by as much as possible. I'm sure there was a lot of experimenting with lineups and things like that. I'm not saying a win against hoftstra is a huge step but the fact that Simon and Clark played well is important. If we can have 5 guys that can score 12-15 on any given night with Ponds, Bash, Lovett, Simon and Clark then we will be tough to beat.

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 11:31:02 AM »

Maybe coach Mullin didn’t have his starters in the final couple of minutes. We don’t know what happened outside of us winning. Providence is projected to finish in the upper half of the Big East and they just lost to Carleton College.
Carleton College beat Alabama pre season nationally ranked by 30 points during their summer tour. They are no joke. If you are excited by a 13 point win over Hofstra so be it. My concerns about Mullein's coaching continue. Instead of comparing it to our past few teams compare it to a team expected to be on the bubble for the tourney this season and we only have 9 guys this year and all are expected to contribute it's not like he is playing 9 through 13 on the roster.

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 11:54:38 AM »

It's a scrimmage first of all. So the goal is to get everyone playing time and see who meshes together. The goal is not to win by as much as possible. I'm sure there was a lot of experimenting with lineups and things like that. I'm not saying a win against hoftstra is a huge step but the fact that Simon and Clark played well is important. If we can have 5 guys that can score 12-15 on any given night with Ponds, Bash, Lovett, Simon and Clark then we will be tough to beat.

Agreed. And get out injury free

ras

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 12:24:02 PM »
Wods 317 is spot on. The purpose of a scrimmage is not to blow the opposing team out. But to experiment w lineups. We have been debating how much time should Simon spend handling the ball. This is the time to find out. It is also the time to put the newcomers in and see what they have in a game situation.  It also is an opportunity to work on weaknesses.

QuanMan

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 01:09:00 PM »
Hopefully both Justin and Marv redeliver Wednesday night, I tend to think that they will. Any word on who was in the starting lineup was yesterday?
Section 3
Section 116