AIC Exhibition

• 81 replies
Re: AIC Exhibition
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 07:48:41 AM »
Daly Dose Of Hoops
@DalyDoseOfHoops
Marvin Clark citing Draymond Green in terms of his impact on St. John's: "That's someone I emulate, someone I look up to. That's the role I feel I need to play for this team." #SJUBB

Your final: St. John's 84, AIC 52.  Box score;

https://twitter.com/dalydoseofhoops/status/925891702199549952
Thanks Paultz!

hnk

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 08:08:26 AM »
I thought the two biggest changes overall were 1) massively less dribbling on offense....quicker....more passing 2) over playing on defense to deny and improved rotations.....could leave us vulnerable to back doors against better competition

LP seemed way more under control with stronger upper bodies.   Clarke and Simon are major league additions and really fun to watch.  They know how to play college basketball. Bashir played way, way more under control.  Individual defense seems 100% better.

Still a work in progress....long way to go.   We're still little and light.

It's going to be fun and also hard to claw our way to a few more big east victories than last year.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:50:33 AM by hnk »

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2017, 08:33:17 AM »
Mostly loved what I saw. Clark and simon are revelations in the mold of hardy and  brownlee, complete game changers.

I do wish that on defense we focused more on containment. I thought last night and last year we were far to anxious on defense especially in the half court. If we want to speed the game up I think we press full court or trap in the half court maybe utilizing some zone. I think we are too small and have to little depth to leave ourselves susepetable to interior breakdowns.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2017, 09:31:25 AM »
We held someone to 52 points.  Last year we would have won this game 101-85.

I'm concerned a smaller team outrebounded us 14-12 on the offensive boards.

Five guys in double figures and lights out at the free throw line are causes for optimism.

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2017, 10:13:15 AM »

Five guys in double figures and lights out at the free throw line are causes for optimism.

This AIC would have been competitive against the 2015 squad, sans Lovett.

We are def improved from last year, and it seems like the transfer strategy is working. 

Trimble needs to lose some weight. I dont think hes quick enough to get by anyone.  In his mixtapes, he dunks with ease.... now, Im not so sure.

« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2017, 10:37:29 AM »

This AIC would have been competitive against the 2015 squad, sans Lovett.

We are def improved from last year, and it seems like the transfer strategy is working. 

Trimble needs to lose some weight. I dont think hes quick enough to get by anyone.  In his mixtapes, he dunks with ease.... now, Im not so sure.

Trimble was throwing down some massive athletic dunks in the pre game warm ups.

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2017, 10:44:18 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's what they said about Khalid El-Amin...until he started cutting down nets.

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2017, 12:08:33 PM »

[/quote]

That's what they said about Khalid El-Amin...until he started cutting down nets.
[/quote]

That was my thought exactly last night, newsman.

Trimble's not as good, obviously, but as long as he's not huffing and puffing out there (and I didn't see it once over 21 minutes played), then the weight is not an issue, IMO.

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2017, 12:10:57 PM »
This board can be tough. For 2 years everybody killed Mussini for being 155 lbs. and getting  mandandled by BE Guards.
 Now we have a 6'3 bull of a freshman guard who's a high caliber athlete -- he was going to Florida, a perennial nationally ranked program -- before he was recruited over and decided to come here. We are lucky to have him. He can and will be effective in the BE at his size and weight.
 Give the kid some time to adjust to the college game. He's a good outside shooter, a defensive force, and an elite athlete right now and will only get better.

Poison

« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2017, 12:20:58 PM »
This board can be tough. For 2 years everybody killed Mussini for being 155 lbs. and getting  mandandled by BE Guards.
 Now we have a 6'3 bull of a freshman guard who's a high caliber athlete -- he was going to Florida, a perennial nationally ranked program -- before he was recruited over and decided to come here. We are lucky to have him. He can and will be effective in the BE at his size and weight.
 Give the kid some time to adjust to the college game. He's a good outside shooter, a defensive force, and an elite athlete right now and will only get better.

Florida State. Not Florida. But yes, it's way too soon to know what this kid will do, but so far it looks like he can shoot the ball.

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »

He is not in the same shape he was in his higschool highlights. He has definitely put on weight, posters aren’t making it up. However  I don’t think it’s too concerning because he will only get in better shape as the season goes on and right now his size can help us.

Poison

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »

He is not in the same shape he was in his higschool highlights. He has definitely put on weight, posters aren’t making it up. However  I don’t think it’s too concerning because he will only get in better shape as the season goes on and right now his size can help us.

I think it's a concern because there are going to be nights where someone is going to have to come in off the bench and contribute because LoVett or Ponds or Ahmed or Clarke or Simon are in foul trouble, hurt or whatever. Trimble is the first guard off the bench. He's also the only guard off the bench and he's out of shape and or slow, that makes us light up front and in the backcourt as well. I hope the staff enjoyed their summer vacation.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:33:39 PM by Poison »

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2017, 12:42:03 PM »

I think it's a concern because there are going to be nights where someone is going to have to come in off the bench and contribute because LoVett or Ponds or Ahmed or Clarke or Simon are in foul trouble, hurt or whatever. Trimble is the first guard off the bench. He's also the only guard off the bench and he's out of shape and or slow, that makes us light up front and in the backcourt as well. I hope the staff enjoyed their summer vacation.

Lol Come on man. Everybody that was on the roster last year is in visible better shape.

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2017, 12:47:33 PM »
(Ahmed is cut out of marble and in great shape, Lovett and Ponds both look stronger and bigger through their chests and shoulders, and even Owens looked stronger than last year, but Poison's never going to pass up any chance to take a crack at the coaching staff.)

MCNPA

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2017, 12:59:52 PM »
Trimble isn’t out of shape or slow.  He’s a really big guard and has fantastic leaping ability.  As he season moves on, he will continue to get up to game speed. 

QuanMan

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »
Bash has shed all of his baby fat, he's going to be a 15-18 ppg scorer this year.

I forsee Amar getting 10-15 mpg this year. It's unavoidable and inevitable bc of our lack of depth, especially at backup Center where he is the only option if we want to go big.
Section 3
Section 116

ras

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2017, 01:10:08 PM »
Trimble isn’t out of shape or slow.  He’s a really big guard and has fantastic leaping ability.  As he season moves on, he will continue to get up to game speed. 
Its nice to have a strong guard that's not going to get man handled. Trimble was a nice acquisition . He will be a nice 4 year player.

goredmen

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2017, 01:29:43 PM »
Bash has shed all of his baby fat, he's going to be a 15-18 ppg scorer this year.

I forsee Amar getting 10-15 mpg this year. It's unavoidable and inevitable bc of our lack of depth, especially at backup Center where he is the only option if we want to go big.

If we are forced to play Amar 10-15 mins per game we'll be lucky to make the NIT

Poison

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »

Lol Come on man. Everybody that was on the roster last year is in visible better shape.

Amar looked really slow. Owens looked exactly the same. The rest yes, definitely, they look like they're in great shape. Especially Clarke and Simon.

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2017, 02:16:11 PM »

Amar looked really slow. Owens looked exactly the same. The rest yes, definitely, they look like they're in great shape. Especially Clarke and Simon.

I will disagree with you and say Owens looks bigger. Still a string bean but less of a string bean still.