Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #380 on: January 17, 2018, 02:29:31 AM »
Man you geriatric nice persons are really attached to this guy huh? Any coach who is 8-34 in conference play should be on the hot seat. I could literally care less that he was a really good player for us before I was even born. I understand that even if we go 0-18 in conference play (making his record 8-46), which isn't out of the question, that he will not be fired after this year because of who he is, and how much money he would be owed, but he should. Anyone who disagrees is just attached to this guy because he probably reminds them of a time when they weren't 40 pounds overweight, young, getting laid and relevant.

Poison

« Reply #381 on: January 17, 2018, 02:34:26 AM »
Going forward he will takes less chances and I'm sure we'll see a steady supply of transfers ala Simon, Clark, Dixon, and Keita.

None of us know whether he'll take less chances or not.  Just say, you hope he'll take less chances.

Are you going full 'tard again, Simple Jack? This is a fan forum, nobody knows what will happen. Every statement made here is an opinion. How insecure are you that you want people to qualify their statements with the fact they can't predict the future? Holy shit dude.

Let me say this clearly: I have no fvcking clue what Mullin and the staff will do or how a bunch of teens and twenty-somethings will play. That's why I say we have to give him more time to evaluate. You are the one that wants to move on from him, so it seems like you are the one who thinks he knows the future.

The staff has seemingly moved on from risky recruits based on the players they have signed for next year:  Diakate, Dixon and Keita are already practicing and enrolled in classes. I can't remember the last time we had three new players with no eligibility questions. Williams, Brooks, and Roberts are all around 4 stars and low risk players without glaring academic or legal problems like Lovett and the cross dresser. The classes are balanced, there are no obvious transfer candidates for the first time in a decade, and the roster is full.

247:
Greg Williams is ranked at #148 nationally
Josh Roberts is ranked at #180 nationally

Both are solid 3 star mid major recruits. No one knows what kind of players these guys will become, but tell me if they don’t remind you of the typical Norm Roberts recruit?

I have no problem with the typical Norm Roberts recruit if we can add 5 top 75 players and win a top 35 kid like Ponds every two years.

What top 35 kid is coming here if we win 12 games in year 3? Norm won 11 games in 2007-2008 and 5 in the BE. For the next season he landed Quincy Roberts, Tyshawn Edmonton and Phil Wait.

Poison

« Reply #382 on: January 17, 2018, 02:39:50 AM »
Man you geriatric nice persons are really attached to this guy huh? Any coach who is 8-34 in conference play should be on the hot seat. I could literally care less that he was a really good player for us before I was even born. I understand that even if we go 0-18 in conference play (making his record 8-46), which isn't out of the question, that he will not be fired after this year because of who he is, and how much money he would be owed, but he should. Anyone who disagrees is just attached to this guy because he probably reminds them of a time when they weren't 40 pounds overweight, young, getting laid and relevant.

He may resign out of sheer embarrassment. I loved watching Chris Mullin play. He was exceptional, and this does sting because the University should be embarrassed for blindly assuming he was some kind of b-ball genius.

This is kind of like finding out your favorite uncle can’t read.

Marillac

« Reply #383 on: January 17, 2018, 03:46:28 AM »
Going forward he will takes less chances and I'm sure we'll see a steady supply of transfers ala Simon, Clark, Dixon, and Keita.

None of us know whether he'll take less chances or not.  Just say, you hope he'll take less chances.

Are you going full 'tard again, Simple Jack? This is a fan forum, nobody knows what will happen. Every statement made here is an opinion. How insecure are you that you want people to qualify their statements with the fact they can't predict the future? Holy shit dude.

Let me say this clearly: I have no fvcking clue what Mullin and the staff will do or how a bunch of teens and twenty-somethings will play. That's why I say we have to give him more time to evaluate. You are the one that wants to move on from him, so it seems like you are the one who thinks he knows the future.

The staff has seemingly moved on from risky recruits based on the players they have signed for next year:  Diakate, Dixon and Keita are already practicing and enrolled in classes. I can't remember the last time we had three new players with no eligibility questions. Williams, Brooks, and Roberts are all around 4 stars and low risk players without glaring academic or legal problems like Lovett and the cross dresser. The classes are balanced, there are no obvious transfer candidates for the first time in a decade, and the roster is full.

247:

Both are solid 3 star mid major recruits. No one knows what kind of players these guys will become, but tell me if they don’t remind you of the typical Norm Roberts recruit?

I have no problem with the typical Norm Roberts recruit if we can add 5 top 75 players and win a top 35 kid like Ponds every two years.

What top 35 kid is coming here if we win 12 games in year 3? Norm won 11 games in 2007-2008 and 5 in the BE. For the next season he landed Quincy Roberts, Tyshawn Edmonton and Phil Wait.

Your point makes no sense for this year. Even if we don't win another game, we already have a full signed class that is much more impressive than the trio you named. Brooks is ranked between 70-79. Williams is a 4* by Rivals and ranked in several top 150 rankings. Sedee Keita was ranked #85 by ESPN. Mikey Dixon was the MAAC Rookie of the Year. Roberts and Diakate as well. Plus, we have two top 40 kids for two more years.

Poison

« Reply #384 on: January 17, 2018, 08:47:45 AM »

247:

Your point makes no sense for this year. Even if we don't win another game, we already have a full signed class that is much more impressive than the trio you named. Brooks is ranked between 70-79. Williams is a 4* by Rivals and ranked in several top 150 rankings. Sedee Keita was ranked #85 by ESPN. Mikey Dixon was the MAAC Rookie of the Year. Roberts and Diakate as well. Plus, we have two top 40 kids for two more years.

When the ball goes up, let's see who is on the court. As fans of this program, we know full well that not everyone who says they'll be here will be here.

You know, this reminds me of a song. A rather poignant one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj4nJ1YEAp4

Johnny23

« Reply #385 on: January 17, 2018, 09:28:02 AM »
I am in the glorious state of NC for the winter and golfed today.  As a result I did not check JJ until after 4.  What I saw was incredible. 5+ pages of posts on an inane topic which I skimmed and found most amusing.  Mullin's seat is not getting hot except in some of your, dare I say feeble, minds.  Some of the pieces for a rebuild are here and more are coming next year.  I feel like I'm reading a bunch of old ladies arguing illogically about a topic they barely understand and, being a 69 year old married man, I know whereof I speak.  If Mullin is fired our inability to keep coaches will lead us to a program on the Iona level.   Yes, this season is F..ked up for reasons  beyond many of your comprehensions.  Being a Queens guy I have always been a SJ fan even though I went to Fordham.  If Mullin gets fired I may have to  root for the Rams and that will be a sad state of affairs.  Mullin is our last best hope.   

Well, stick to talking about marriages and golf, and we'll stick to talking about basketball. 

PS....  I'm never a person who believes anyone is a team or program last best hope (only if we brought in Coach K, Cal or any coach of or similar ilk and couldn't win, then you may have a point).  No offense, but that's loser/defeatist talk, IMO.

If Mullin leaves in the next few years we are going on close to 30 years of constantly switching coaches and incredible mediocrity not worthy of a formerly great program.  I have been an irrational optimist for a long time but the negativity associated with suggesting Mullin should be fired surprises and angers me.  If you are a player who would you rather play for, two NBA greats  or a Danny Hurley.  Kids are more impressed by personalities and fame then by someone who may or may not be the next great coach. 

I'll give Mullin another season, and he'll get one by the powers that be.  But, a one, two or three win conference season in your 3rd season could be grounds for possible firing. 

St. John's should be lined up with 5 and high-level 4-star kids because Mullin and Richmond are on the staff, per your description.  So, you don't think Danny Hurley could possibly land similar players if he was coaching at St. John's?  I could be wrong, but I think he could recruit equally, if not slightly better.  We won't know unless we cross that bridge.

Another thing....  Kids also wanna win ball games and play in the dance. 

Give CM some time, it will happen.  If it doesn't, look forward to another decade of mediocrity.  I predicted a 10-11 win season but shit happens.  Who knew Clarke would be a poor rebounder.  Who knew Ponds would shoot the ways he has from 3.  Who knew Lovett would get hurt and react like a complete pussy.  Who Knew Owens would not develop a love for pizza and put on 20.  Who knew Yakwe would continue to be an enigma.  I believe the staff is teaching  but the collective Hoop IQ of the team is preventing them from learning.  And, by the way, the bickering between certain posters is incredibly old ladylike.

Basically, you're giving excuses.  It's that simple.  I'll say it again, give him one more season, and if we're not dancing, then move on.

You pretty much summed it up. The opposition argument of we need to keep Mullin or we'll go back to being mediocre is lazy and weak. What the hell do those posters think we are with Mullin? This current team is worse than mediocre! Status quo only works when it yields good results. This is not the case with SJU and CM. Either win more games or Gtfo.

« Reply #386 on: January 17, 2018, 09:40:02 AM »

I think it was pretty well known last time around Danny Hurley would have came if the job was offered.

and this information comes from..?

I think it was pretty well known that Hurley made it known he had no interest

What I had heard as well. Further for those of you that want your coach to be a good guy( I am not in that camp btw) Hurley's are jerks. This seemed like a big deal for those "Normies" that might still be around.

I also heard that he wasn't interested, but the reason for that was because he was waiting for Willard to get fired from Seton Hall (probably Hurley's dream job, since that's his alma mater).  Remember, they were just coming off that disappointing season, with all the in-fighting, and many felt Willard was on the hot seat.

Willard's firing is not going to happen anytime soon, now, so maybe Hurley's thoughts on our job have changed.

Speaking of Hurley and Seton Hall. For all of you angry at Lovett, Hurley quit in mid season while at SH. Now that was not as big a deal because unlike Lovett, Hurley was not any good. But still all of you killing Lovett couldn't possibly want Danny Hurley as coach, right?
Also wasn't there that rumor that when Hurley was at Saint Benedict's and didn't get assistant job at SH he supposedly threatened to never send one of his kids to SH?

I think dealing with depression and your brother and best friend almost dying are a little different than what Marcus and family are doing. After being an assistant at Rutgers, Hurley said he would only return to the college game if he could run his own program. Your SHU assistant coach story is bad info. Rhode Island loves him and will do whatever they can to keep him.

I still don’t understand why Mullin took the job. I get ego and the honor of coming back and all that, but coaching can be miserable and he had a pretty sweet deal before all this.

Before he got Rutgers gig. While coaching in HS

What are you talking about?

Hurley was an assistant at Rutgers first and then went to St. Benedict’s.

Sorry before Wagner.
And it wasn't something anyone told me it was out there. Think at the time time was even mentioned on these boards.
Don't know if true or not. But I have not heard good things about him.
Which honestly personally I don't care about.
Again just brought it up in defense of people killing Lovett for not showing loyalty but then want Chris Mullin gone after 3 years.

Your timeline still doesn’t make sense.

Rutgers, St. Benedict’s, Wagner, Rhode Island

When he left Rutgers, he said he would only come back to college if he got an opportunity as a head coach. He never wanted an assistant job at SHU when he was at St. Benedict’s. He turned down a head coach job (Marist) and at least one on the record assistant job (Pitt) when he was at St. Ben’s. I listen to what his players and coworkers say about him and it’s good. St. Ben’s players joined him at Rhode Island. Players he had at Wagner and Rhode Island have joined his staffs later. If your argument is LoVett-Mullin, what does Hurley have to do with it? Weird thread. Unless Mullin quits, he’s back next year and should be. Year three is when you’d like to see a few more signs of life, though. Fifty to seventy percent of the conference makes the NCAAs. They have to start being a legit part of that conversation.

Don't remember where I read it and was possibly head coach at SH? In OP I said "wasn't there a rumor"?
Hurley the current savior of choice.
People want to fire Chris Mullin and hire Hurley.
Some of same people also bashed Lovett for being selfish for quitting.
I was just pointing out Hurley also quit once and you want him to replace the most famous person in program history, which is the opposite of loyal.
I admit convoluted argument, but "fans" on here suck.

« Reply #387 on: January 17, 2018, 09:40:39 AM »
Mullin is the best option for success next year, when we can have legitimate expectations of a tournament bid and competing at the top of the conference.  His theoretical replacement would have another complete rebuild on his hands, and with the PR disaster that would come with firing Mullin, the new coach would have a very tough time filling out a capable staff and solid roster.

I'd expect a staff shakeup and I expect Mullin to be the guy making the changes.  He might be a poor X and Os coach who is loyal to a fault, but he is neither dumb nor lazy.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:41:19 AM by Gray Chudney »

« Reply #388 on: January 17, 2018, 09:48:48 AM »
Mullin is the best option for success next year, when we can have legitimate expectations of a tournament bid and competing at the top of the conference.  His theoretical replacement would have another complete rebuild on his hands, and with the PR disaster that would come with firing Mullin, the new coach would have a very tough time filling out a capable staff and solid roster.

I'd expect a staff shakeup and I expect Mullin to be the guy making the changes.  He might be a poor X and Os coach who is loyal to a fault, but he is neither dumb nor lazy.

100% spot on which is why 95% of the people on here will disagree with it.
If Mullin is fired the school is not bucking up for everyone's wet dream of the moment Danny Hurley. That is if he would even come here.
You are then getting a secondary choice no one will love except for the people on here who just hate Mullin and think his replacement will automatically be better even if they have no idea who that replacement will be. Now next coach comes in with a depleted roster and then gets how many years to turn it around before you turn on him 2 or 3?

cjfish

« Reply #389 on: January 17, 2018, 10:38:11 AM »

With age comes wisdom and patience you foolish angry young man.  Admittedly some of us are fat but I'm still a gym rat and lift as much as I did 20 years ago.  And we are relevant because we control the money.  We have seen more history personally and as a result are able to make more informed analysis and decisions.  By the way, one of my many hoop nicknames over the years was The Truth, predating Berry and referring to the reliability of my Jumper.  I would hope this thread has run it's course as it is worthy of a Monty Python Skit.  (Oh I'M dating myself again) 

paultzman

« Reply #390 on: January 17, 2018, 10:42:31 AM »

Agree on staff change expectation and disaster cutting bait this year.

« Reply #391 on: January 17, 2018, 11:36:40 AM »
In case anyone was wondering.
Since Louie retired 26 years ago our record is 410-384. Better than I thought.
Mahoney-56-58 -1 NCAA appearance, 1 Tourney win
Fran-35-24- 1 NCAA appearance
Jarvis-110-61 -3 NCAA appearances, 4 wins
Clark-4-17
Norm-81-101
Lavin-92-72- 2 NCAA appearances, 0 wins
Mullin-32-51

So in 26 years we have been to 7 NCAA tourney's and won a total of 5 games.

« Reply #392 on: January 17, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »
I am in the glorious state of NC for the winter and golfed today.  As a result I did not check JJ until after 4.  What I saw was incredible. 5+ pages of posts on an inane topic which I skimmed and found most amusing.  Mullin's seat is not getting hot except in some of your, dare I say feeble, minds.  Some of the pieces for a rebuild are here and more are coming next year.  I feel like I'm reading a bunch of old ladies arguing illogically about a topic they barely understand and, being a 69 year old married man, I know whereof I speak.  If Mullin is fired our inability to keep coaches will lead us to a program on the Iona level.   Yes, this season is F..ked up for reasons  beyond many of your comprehensions.  Being a Queens guy I have always been a SJ fan even though I went to Fordham.  If Mullin gets fired I may have to  root for the Rams and that will be a sad state of affairs.  Mullin is our last best hope.   

Well, stick to talking about marriages and golf, and we'll stick to talking about basketball. 

PS....  I'm never a person who believes anyone is a team or program last best hope (only if we brought in Coach K, Cal or any coach of or similar ilk and couldn't win, then you may have a point).  No offense, but that's loser/defeatist talk, IMO.

If Mullin leaves in the next few years we are going on close to 30 years of constantly switching coaches and incredible mediocrity not worthy of a formerly great program.  I have been an irrational optimist for a long time but the negativity associated with suggesting Mullin should be fired surprises and angers me.  If you are a player who would you rather play for, two NBA greats  or a Danny Hurley.  Kids are more impressed by personalities and fame then by someone who may or may not be the next great coach. 

I'll give Mullin another season, and he'll get one by the powers that be.  But, a one, two or three win conference season in your 3rd season could be grounds for possible firing. 

St. John's should be lined up with 5 and high-level 4-star kids because Mullin and Richmond are on the staff, per your description.  So, you don't think Danny Hurley could possibly land similar players if he was coaching at St. John's?  I could be wrong, but I think he could recruit equally, if not slightly better.  We won't know unless we cross that bridge.

Give CM some time, it will happen.  If it doesn't, look forward to another decade of mediocrity.  I predicted a 10-11 win season but shit happens.  Who knew Clarke would be a poor rebounder.  Who knew Ponds would shoot the ways he has from 3.  Who knew Lovett would get hurt and react like a complete pussy.  Who Knew Owens would not develop a love for pizza and put on 20.  Who knew Yakwe would continue to be an enigma.  I believe the staff is teaching  but the collective Hoop IQ of the team is preventing them from learning.  And, by the way, the bickering between certain posters is incredibly old ladylike.

Basically, you're giving excuses.  It's that simple.  I'll say it again, give him one more season, and if we're not dancing, then move on.

You pretty much summed it up. The opposition argument of we need to keep Mullin or we'll go back to being mediocre is lazy and weak. What the hell do those posters think we are with Mullin? This current team is worse than mediocre! Status quo only works when it yields good results. This is not the case with SJU and CM. Either win more games or Gtfo.

Heck!  We won 6 conference games in a much better Big East with a six-man rotation that included all freshman and God'sgift Achiuwa.  That was also done without a point guard and basically, only one reliable outside shooter.

Foad

« Reply #393 on: January 17, 2018, 11:46:24 AM »
Clark-4-17
Norm-81-101
Mullin-32-51

You neglected to subtract 45 wins that were vacated. Jarhead's official record was 13-43 over his last four years. So less than .500 since Lou. Also one NCAA tournament game vacated.

« Reply #394 on: January 17, 2018, 11:48:39 AM »

Heck!  We won 6 conference games in a much better Big East with a six-man rotation that included all freshman and God'sgift Achiuwa.  That was also done without a point guard and basically, only one reliable outside shooter.

Over last 26 years we have averaged a 16-15 won loss record.
I really think a move to a lesser conference should be considered.
Or we could fire Mullin, then the next guy, then the next guy, then the next guy, then the next guy..........

« Reply #395 on: January 17, 2018, 11:50:35 AM »
It really annoys me when some people on here say we didn't expect to make tourney or NIT is our ceiling. That's a load of bs because this was supposed to be the year we turned the corner. In all honesty this team is an absolute mess which can't and doesn't know how to win a big game. Our early season schedule was a total joke now we are looking at 20 straight losses to end the season and every player on the team is regressing instead of even improving a little bit. To all you Mullin lovers let's face the facts that as a coach he totally blows.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 11:51:54 AM by LIjohnnie »

« Reply #396 on: January 17, 2018, 11:51:24 AM »
Clark-4-17
Norm-81-101
Mullin-32-51

You neglected to subtract 45 wins that were vacated. Jarhead's official record was 13-43 over his last four years. So less than .500 since Lou. Also one NCAA tournament game vacated.

Blah. Once it happens it happens. I think that NCAA taking wins and stuff away is silly. Like punishing a kid for eating his dessert before his dinner by telling him you get no dessert.

« Reply #397 on: January 17, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »

Or we could fire Mullin, then the next guy, then the next guy, then the next guy, then the next guy..........

No offense, but I'm not gonna go back and forth with you on this particular topic.  You deal in fallacies (at least, on this topic), per my opinion.  You don't think you do.  It's all good, though.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 11:55:03 AM by mjdinkins »

goredmen

« Reply #398 on: January 17, 2018, 11:56:47 AM »

Congrats everyone, we found the dumbest sentence to ever be written here

« Reply #399 on: January 17, 2018, 12:04:22 PM »

No offense, but I'm not gonna go back and forth with you on this particular topic.  You deal in fallacies (at least, on this topic), per my opinion.  You don't think you do.  It's all good, though.

All I did was list our last 26 years. And unlike Fun I count all of Jarvis wins. We averaged a 16-15 record for last 26 years. That is just Math. And not even that ridiculous core Math my 3rd grade son is taught. Just good old adding and division. Where is fallacy in that?