Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?

• 779 replies
Re: Chris Mullin's seat getting hotter?
« Reply #420 on: January 17, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »
I am in the glorious state of NC for the winter and golfed today.  As a result I did not check JJ until after 4.  What I saw was incredible. 5+ pages of posts on an inane topic which I skimmed and found most amusing.  Mullin's seat is not getting hot except in some of your, dare I say feeble, minds.  Some of the pieces for a rebuild are here and more are coming next year.  I feel like I'm reading a bunch of old ladies arguing illogically about a topic they barely understand and, being a 69 year old married man, I know whereof I speak.  If Mullin is fired our inability to keep coaches will lead us to a program on the Iona level.   Yes, this season is F..ked up for reasons  beyond many of your comprehensions.  Being a Queens guy I have always been a SJ fan even though I went to Fordham.  If Mullin gets fired I may have to  root for the Rams and that will be a sad state of affairs.  Mullin is our last best hope.   

Well, stick to talking about marriages and golf, and we'll stick to talking about basketball. 

PS....  I'm never a person who believes anyone is a team or program last best hope (only if we brought in Coach K, Cal or any coach of or similar ilk and couldn't win, then you may have a point).  No offense, but that's loser/defeatist talk, IMO.

If Mullin leaves in the next few years we are going on close to 30 years of constantly switching coaches and incredible mediocrity not worthy of a formerly great program.  I have been an irrational optimist for a long time but the negativity associated with suggesting Mullin should be fired surprises and angers me.  If you are a player who would you rather play for, two NBA greats  or a Danny Hurley.  Kids are more impressed by personalities and fame then by someone who may or may not be the next great coach. 

I'll give Mullin another season, and he'll get one by the powers that be.  But, a one, two or three win conference season in your 3rd season could be grounds for possible firing. 

St. John's should be lined up with 5 and high-level 4-star kids because Mullin and Richmond are on the staff, per your description.  So, you don't think Danny Hurley could possibly land similar players if he was coaching at St. John's?  I could be wrong, but I think he could recruit equally, if not slightly better.  We won't know unless we cross that bridge.

Another thing....  Kids also wanna win ball games and play in the dance. 

Give CM some time, it will happen.  If it doesn't, look forward to another decade of mediocrity.  I predicted a 10-11 win season but shit happens.  Who knew Clarke would be a poor rebounder.  Who knew Ponds would shoot the ways he has from 3.  Who knew Lovett would get hurt and react like a complete pussy.  Who Knew Owens would not develop a love for pizza and put on 20.  Who knew Yakwe would continue to be an enigma.  I believe the staff is teaching  but the collective Hoop IQ of the team is preventing them from learning.  And, by the way, the bickering between certain posters is incredibly old ladylike.

Basically, you're giving excuses.  It's that simple.  I'll say it again, give him one more season, and if we're not dancing, then move on.

You pretty much summed it up. The opposition argument of we need to keep Mullin or we'll go back to being mediocre is lazy and weak. What the hell do those posters think we are with Mullin? This current team is worse than mediocre! Status quo only works when it yields good results. This is not the case with SJU and CM. Either win more games or Gtfo.

Heck!  We won 6 conference games in a much better Big East with a six-man rotation that included all freshman and God'sgift Achiuwa.  That was also done without a point guard and basically, only one reliable outside shooter.

I really think a move to a lesser conference should be considered.

That is just asinine...

I guess teams that typically finish in the middle to bottom of power conferences should all bolt for lesser conferences... that's a real good business decision...

Fully expect Vanderbilt and Wake Forest and Northwestern and Illinois and Penn State and Nebraska and Boston College and Colorado and Texas Tech and Ole Miss (just some that pop to mind)... to drop the big paychecks and status of belonging to existing power conference to become an irrelevant IONA.

You mean the Football schools you just listed?

LOL.  Oh Yeah, those are some powerhouse football schools.  Based on your logic, more of a reason for them to step down.  They suck at both sports.
Its an asinine suggestion.  Schools drool to be in a conference like the BE not leave it. 

If they are going to just operate the way they have since Louie retired and either go on the cheap (Norm), reach(Norm) or flash over substance(Lavin /Mullin) and then change direction every 4 years or so then yes I think they should consider moving down.
You have to see the downgrading of the Garden as a step in that direction.

If Mullin doesn't work out after next year, I would like to see them hire a solid coach that will emphasize the three and recruit to fit his style of play.  Basically embrace being a mid major w/o actually being one.

« Reply #421 on: January 17, 2018, 02:16:44 PM »
If there is a more depressing fan site in all of college basketball, or a more negative fan base, please let me know it. I'd like to visit it before I slit my wrists, drink Draino, put my head in an oven, and hang myself. (But first I want to watch us play Xavier tonight.)

Tell you what....  Go visit any or every team in power conferences fan site, and come back after you're done, and I bet you'll have a different view of our fans.  If not, then you were reading those forums with your eyes closed.
Some of our fans must have really loved the '62 Mets and their 40-120 record. For those too young too have lived through it they would have been in their glory. I was 8 at the time and the Mets were known as the lovable losers. Guess they see St. J's with Chris Mullin at the helm the same way.

Ha!  The '62 Mets was about slightly over a decade before my time, but I catch your drift.

I first saw Mullin play when he was a sophomore.  I became a St. John's fan when he was a senior.  So, I'm extremely, familiar with him as a player.  But, I don't care if he was the head coach and his bench was lined up with Michael Jordan, Kareem, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird as his assistant coaches.  If their asses can't win ball games, then they need to go   

Some older fans (or even fans in and around my age) may get off on waxing nostalgia about Mullin and his playing days at pre and post-game outings, and other school gatherings.  But, that was a long, long time ago.  The '84-'85 team ain't walking through the doors of Carnesecca Arena or MSG. 

If this was Year 1, then fine.  It's not so much the losing (although, in Year 3, it does play a big role), but it's how and why we're losing.  If we finish off the season with 6 or 7 conference wins, then I may feel we're heading in the right direction.  Currently, I don't see it. 

I hope to be proven wrong.

« Reply #422 on: January 17, 2018, 02:23:28 PM »
If there is a more depressing fan site in all of college basketball, or a more negative fan base, please let me know it. I'd like to visit it before I slit my wrists, drink Draino, put my head in an oven, and hang myself. (But first I want to watch us play Xavier tonight.)

Tell you what....  Go visit any or every team in power conferences fan site, and come back after you're done, and I bet you'll have a different view of our fans.  If not, then you were reading those forums with your eyes closed.
Some of our fans must have really loved the '62 Mets and their 40-120 record. For those too young too have lived through it they would have been in their glory. I was 8 at the time and the Mets were known as the lovable losers. Guess they see St. J's with Chris Mullin at the helm the same way.

Ha!  The '62 Mets was about slightly over a decade before my time, but I catch your drift.

I first saw Mullin play when he was a sophomore.  I became a St. John's fan when he was a senior.  So, I'm extremely, familiar with him as a player.  But, I don't care if he was the head coach and his bench was lined up with Michael Jordan, Kareem, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird as his assistant coaches.  If their asses can't win ball games, then they need to go   

Some older fans (or even fans in and around my age) may get off on waxing nostalgia about Mullin and his playing days at pre and post-game outings, and other school gatherings.  But, that was a long, long time ago.  The '84-'85 team ain't walking through the doors of Carnesecca Arena or MSG. 

If this was Year 1, then fine.  It's not so much the losing (although, in Year 3, it does play a big role), but it's how and why we're losing.  If we finish off the season with 6 or 7 conference wins, then I may feel we're heading in the right direction.  Currently, I don't see it. 

If you are fine giving Mullin one more year and as you say most on here are, then what is the point bitching about him the rest off the season. I think we win maybe 2 games. This year is a disaster. Complaining about him for rest of the season will not help anything.
I understand, this has been terrible to date. I still think if Lovett had stayed healthy we win 17 or 18 and the boulder would have been moving forward.
If we suck next year he probably steps down or if he gets fired no one will have a complaint.

And again just for the record, it is not strictly a Mullin thing for me. W/o a slam dunk replacement I was all for Lavin return. Now Mullin is here it just makes sense all around to give him another year. 

Pete88

« Reply #423 on: January 17, 2018, 02:27:16 PM »
I am in the glorious state of NC for the winter and golfed today.  As a result I did not check JJ until after 4.  What I saw was incredible. 5+ pages of posts on an inane topic which I skimmed and found most amusing.  Mullin's seat is not getting hot except in some of your, dare I say feeble, minds.  Some of the pieces for a rebuild are here and more are coming next year.  I feel like I'm reading a bunch of old ladies arguing illogically about a topic they barely understand and, being a 69 year old married man, I know whereof I speak.  If Mullin is fired our inability to keep coaches will lead us to a program on the Iona level.   Yes, this season is F..ked up for reasons  beyond many of your comprehensions.  Being a Queens guy I have always been a SJ fan even though I went to Fordham.  If Mullin gets fired I may have to  root for the Rams and that will be a sad state of affairs.  Mullin is our last best hope.   

Well, stick to talking about marriages and golf, and we'll stick to talking about basketball. 

PS....  I'm never a person who believes anyone is a team or program last best hope (only if we brought in Coach K, Cal or any coach of or similar ilk and couldn't win, then you may have a point).  No offense, but that's loser/defeatist talk, IMO.

If Mullin leaves in the next few years we are going on close to 30 years of constantly switching coaches and incredible mediocrity not worthy of a formerly great program.  I have been an irrational optimist for a long time but the negativity associated with suggesting Mullin should be fired surprises and angers me.  If you are a player who would you rather play for, two NBA greats  or a Danny Hurley.  Kids are more impressed by personalities and fame then by someone who may or may not be the next great coach. 

I'll give Mullin another season, and he'll get one by the powers that be.  But, a one, two or three win conference season in your 3rd season could be grounds for possible firing. 

St. John's should be lined up with 5 and high-level 4-star kids because Mullin and Richmond are on the staff, per your description.  So, you don't think Danny Hurley could possibly land similar players if he was coaching at St. John's?  I could be wrong, but I think he could recruit equally, if not slightly better.  We won't know unless we cross that bridge.

Give CM some time, it will happen.  If it doesn't, look forward to another decade of mediocrity.  I predicted a 10-11 win season but shit happens.  Who knew Clarke would be a poor rebounder.  Who knew Ponds would shoot the ways he has from 3.  Who knew Lovett would get hurt and react like a complete pussy.  Who Knew Owens would not develop a love for pizza and put on 20.  Who knew Yakwe would continue to be an enigma.  I believe the staff is teaching  but the collective Hoop IQ of the team is preventing them from learning.  And, by the way, the bickering between certain posters is incredibly old ladylike.

Basically, you're giving excuses.  It's that simple.  I'll say it again, give him one more season, and if we're not dancing, then move on.

You pretty much summed it up. The opposition argument of we need to keep Mullin or we'll go back to being mediocre is lazy and weak. What the hell do those posters think we are with Mullin? This current team is worse than mediocre! Status quo only works when it yields good results. This is not the case with SJU and CM. Either win more games or Gtfo.

Heck!  We won 6 conference games in a much better Big East with a six-man rotation that included all freshman and God'sgift Achiuwa.  That was also done without a point guard and basically, only one reliable outside shooter.

That is just asinine...

I guess teams that typically finish in the middle to bottom of power conferences should all bolt for lesser conferences... that's a real good business decision...

Fully expect Vanderbilt and Wake Forest and Northwestern and Illinois and Penn State and Nebraska and Boston College and Colorado and Texas Tech and Ole Miss (just some that pop to mind)... to drop the big paychecks and status of belonging to existing power conference to become an irrelevant IONA.

LOL.  Oh Yeah, those are some powerhouse football schools.  Based on your logic, more of a reason for them to step down.  They suck at both sports.
Its an asinine suggestion.  Schools drool to be in a conference like the BE not leave it. 

If they are going to just operate the way they have since Louie retired and either go on the cheap (Norm), reach(Norm) or flash over substance(Lavin /Mullin) and then change direction every 4 years or so then yes I think they should consider moving down.

If Mullin doesn't work out after next year, I would like to see them hire a solid coach that will emphasize the three and recruit to fit his style of play.  Basically embrace being a mid major w/o actually being one.

Just because they are and have been inept at finding the right coach is no reason to bury yourself in some shitty conference.   Everyone understands the landscape has changed.  MSG was a thing of the past, problem is everyone continues to look at what was and not what it needs to be. 

Maybe Mullin works out, maybe he doesn't.  But if he doesn't, you go out try to find the best candidate and give him the reigns, seems to work for other programs.   There's not one team in the BE that can compete resource wise with the power 5 conferences, yet, some have consistently been able to achieve a consistent amount of success.   
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:27:46 PM by Pete88 »

« Reply #424 on: January 17, 2018, 02:33:23 PM »

That is just asinine...

Just because they are and have been inept at finding the right coach is no reason to bury yourself in some shitty conference.   Everyone understands the landscape has changed.  MSG was a thing of the past, problem is everyone continues to look at what was and not what it needs to be. 

Maybe Mullin works out, maybe he doesn't.  But if he doesn't, you go out try to find the best candidate and give him the reigns, seems to work for other programs.   There's not one team in the BE that can compete resource wise with the power 5 conferences, yet, some have consistently been able to achieve a consistent amount of success.   

I don't want them to or think they will move down. Just tired of the constant regime changes other than Norm one.
I mostly posted that to bother the people that seem to think we have such a successful program that we can't give Chris Mullin another year. And yes right or wrong I think the fact that he is Chris Mullin should have bought him more goodwill / leeway then it did.

And yes I think it is hypocritical that some of the same people arguing with me over that point have bashed Lovett for being selfish and not showing loyalty.

« Reply #425 on: January 17, 2018, 02:33:35 PM »

If you are fine giving Mullin one more year and as you say most on here are, then what is the point bitching about him the rest off the season.

Once again, another fallacy.  You do know those two are mutually exclusive. 

But, I will say....  If we were to win one or two conference games, I'd be fine in moving in another direction.  But, I'm sure he'll get another year to rectify things.  If he has us dancing next season, then cool!  If not, then bye!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:34:59 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #426 on: January 17, 2018, 02:38:45 PM »

If you are fine giving Mullin one more year and as you say most on here are, then what is the point bitching about him the rest off the season.

But, I will say....  If we were to win one or two conference games, I'd be fine in moving in another direction.  But, I'm sure he'll get another year to rectify things.  If he has us dancing next season, then cool!  If not, then bye!

What would you conceivably see the rest of this season that would make people uncritical? Not much can happen. People are going to just go into next season with their minds made up. We stink. Mullin looks terrible to this point. Nothing over last 13 games is going to change that. I guess people will have to post something, but at this point just beating a dead horse.

« Reply #427 on: January 17, 2018, 02:45:26 PM »

What would you conceivably see the rest of this season that would make people uncritical? Not much can happen. People are going to just go into next season with their minds made up. We stink. Mullin looks terrible to this point. Nothing over last 13 games is going to change that. I guess people will have to post something, but at this point just beating a dead horse.

Are you new to sports or something?  You're trying to see progression.  You still can find progression even in some losses.  I think some may come around, if they saw progression.  Progression could even lead to a "surprise" win or two.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 02:48:13 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #428 on: January 17, 2018, 02:50:37 PM »

Are you new to sports or something?  You're trying to see progression.  You still can find progression even in some losses.

Oh you saw progression in other down years for us? How was the NY Giant progression last year? The Mets?
I can see this thinking if we had a young team? We do not. Everyone's hero recruiter does not recruit true freshman. We have transfers and basically a whole new team coming in.
Like to see Ponds improve his shooting, Clark his rebounding and Trimble his activity. Outside of Owens going on a Barry Bonds diet or heck John Belushi diet not sure what else you can look for.

cjfish

« Reply #429 on: January 17, 2018, 03:01:42 PM »
Have a lot of friends

Find that hard to believe.
But not in your case. Actually I bet people are quite drawn to you...you know like passing motorists to a car accident or passing pedestrians to someone threatening to jump off a roof.  ;) :)

He would fit right in with my crowd, wellread educated ball busters who drink.  If he doesn't play golf he would have to learn.   8)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:03:47 PM by cjfish »

« Reply #430 on: January 17, 2018, 03:04:07 PM »

Are you new to sports or something?  You're trying to see progression.  You still can find progression even in some losses.

Oh you saw progression in other down years for us? How was the NY Giant progression last year? The Mets?
I can see this thinking if we had a young team? We do not. Everyone's hero recruiter does not recruit true freshman. We have transfers and basically a whole new team coming in.
Like to see Ponds improve his shooting, Clark his rebounding and Trimble his activity. Outside of Owens going on a Barry Bonds diet or heck John Belushi diet not sure what else you can look for.

Enjoy your day, dude.

cjfish

« Reply #431 on: January 17, 2018, 03:10:39 PM »
Man, it was hard to read this entire thread. But it's quite clear this fan base is stuck in the 80's. St. John's is no longer a destination and hasn't been in quite some time. We haven't won an NCAA game in decades!! We have so many disadvantages against many of the bigger schools who have better resources and way better facilities. It's hard to see how anyone could expect we'd be challenging for 4 and 5 star recruits at this point.

As for Mullin, I don't know if he's the answer, but I'm happy that the rosters seem to be balanced for next year, and we should have a very talented roster. 

Until Ponds and Owens transfer, and Brooks never suits up for us. Then it will be another banner year. But seriously over/under 2019 for Mullin to get his 10th Big East win?

Ponds is going nowhere, it would delay his entry into the pros.

« Reply #432 on: January 17, 2018, 03:51:39 PM »
Man, it was hard to read this entire thread. But it's quite clear this fan base is stuck in the 80's. St. John's is no longer a destination and hasn't been in quite some time. We haven't won an NCAA game in decades!! We have so many disadvantages against many of the bigger schools who have better resources and way better facilities. It's hard to see how anyone could expect we'd be challenging for 4 and 5 star recruits at this point.

As for Mullin, I don't know if he's the answer, but I'm happy that the rosters seem to be balanced for next year, and we should have a very talented roster. 

There is really only a very, small percentage of people calling for his head this season.  I think most are willing to give him another season.  But, it's hard to deny the brand of ball being witnessed.  You'd have to wonder, if we only win 3 or less conference games.  Like I said, we won twice that many in a MUCH better Big East conference playing only 6 players (5 freshmen and Achiuwa) with no point guard and only one reliable outside shooter.

I don't ever think we can consistently compete with the blue bloods or even a few others who are of similar ilk.  But, I also ask why we can't?  At least, we should occasionally compete, right?  Villanova and Georgetown (before they recently fell off) was able to do it.  So, why can't we?  If you think small, then you'll continue to get small time results. 

I won't argue with you about the quality of play. I hope my post didn't come off to make it seem like I'm satisfied. I'm certainly not.

As far as Georgetown, are you saying that St. John's University is on par with Georgetown, in the big picture of things?

« Reply #433 on: January 17, 2018, 03:57:38 PM »

There is really only a very, small percentage of people calling for his head this season.  I think most are willing to give him another season.  But, it's hard to deny the brand of ball being witnessed.  You'd have to wonder, if we only win 3 or less conference games.  Like I said, we won twice that many in a MUCH better Big East conference playing only 6 players (5 freshmen and Achiuwa) with no point guard and only one reliable outside shooter.

I don't ever think we can consistently compete with the blue bloods or even a few others who are of similar ilk.  But, I also ask why we can't?  At least, we should occasionally compete, right?  Villanova and Georgetown (before they recently fell off) was able to do it.  So, why can't we?  If you think small, then you'll continue to get small time results. 

I won't argue with you about the quality of play. I hope my post didn't come off to make it seem like I'm satisfied. I'm certainly not.

As far as Georgetown, are you saying that St. John's University is on par with Georgetown, in the big picture of things?

Are you referring to Georgetown of a few years ago or now? 

If you're referring to a few years ago, then why we can't?  We are the Hoyas (likely worse), if you're referring to now.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 03:57:59 PM by mjdinkins »

Foad

« Reply #434 on: January 17, 2018, 04:11:06 PM »

That's a lot of TV money to give up.

Foad

« Reply #435 on: January 17, 2018, 04:15:31 PM »

If you're referring to a few years ago, then why we can't?  We are the Hoyas (likely worse), if you're referring to now.

Pretty sure he's referring to the difference between a shitty commuter school in Jamaica versus a prestigious university in the nation's capital that boasts Bill Clinton, Anthony Scalia and King Felipe of Spain as graduates. The big picture is bigger than basketball.

Foad

« Reply #436 on: January 17, 2018, 04:20:13 PM »
I can see this thinking if we had a young team? We do not.

Two players have played more than two full years at SJ, and one of those is Alibeowitz. They might not be young in age but they're young in court time.

« Reply #437 on: January 17, 2018, 04:22:13 PM »

I know not going to happen.
Just out of curiosity would you rather own the A10 or stink in BE?
BE now is not BE I grew up with so for me kind of an easy choice.

« Reply #438 on: January 17, 2018, 04:23:23 PM »

Pretty sure he's referring to the difference between a shitty commuter school in Jamaica versus a prestigious university in the nation's capital that boasts Bill Clinton, Anthony Scalia and King Felipe of Spain as graduates. The big picture is bigger than basketball.

Yeah, it's bigger to people who are there for anything outside of playing men's basketball.  Well over the majority of these kids playing basketball (or even football) aren't going to a particular school for its prestigious education.  So, yes we are on par with Georgetown or any, other Big East school for that matter.  Academically to Georgetown? No.

I'm very, aware of Georgetown's education.  But, thanks anyway. 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:56:10 PM by mjdinkins »

goredmen

« Reply #439 on: January 17, 2018, 04:33:07 PM »

I know not going to happen.
Just out of curiosity would you rather own the A10 or stink in BE?
BE now is not BE I grew up with so for me kind of an easy choice.

You're assuming we'd recruit the same caliber of player in the A10 that we do now. We wouldn't. Shamorie Ponds, Justin Simon and Marvin Clark aren't going to a school to play in the A10, and we still wouldn't be the best team in that conference this year. Neither is J'Raan Brooks. There's absolutely no reason to think we'd dominate the A10