Game 19: @#11 Xavier

• 227 replies
Re: Game 19: @#11 Xavier
« Reply #200 on: January 17, 2018, 11:29:07 PM »
Ok it's official.  My new Mfp is Justin Simon!

Marillac

« Reply #201 on: January 17, 2018, 11:31:28 PM »
It has to be all Ponds now.

Good call after Simon just made 3 plays in a row...

He's too reckless. His points aren't sustainable in the half court in close games.

"Reckless" Simon - 28pts / 9reb /6ast / 3stl / 2to

Simon had the game of his life. He made hideous shot after hideous shot. That's just not sustainable with his form. His floaters look horrendous and he hit about 8 jumpers. Dom Pointer had games he couldn't miss as well. That is not a formula for success

Ponds was unreal for the first 13-14 minutes of the second half, but I'll admit he was awful to end it.  Just really bad.

It's very discouraging how poorly our guys hit the offensive glass. Five offensive boards?! Everyone follows Ponds on his drives and leaves a clear lane for our guys to sneak in for easy putbacks, but nobody is ever there. How is that possible?

« Reply #202 on: January 17, 2018, 11:33:47 PM »
We are short an outside shooter and a big-bodied rebounder. Even so, with LoVett we would have run Xavier ragged tonight. Tough to play nearly 40 minutes against waves of fresh bodies off the bench. Nice stretch to get back in the game in the second half and take a lead, but that level of effort is unsustainable when playing a ranked team that is undefeated at home with a full bench and extra bigs to throw at us.

Poison

« Reply #203 on: January 17, 2018, 11:40:02 PM »
8-35
Their were some positives. The guys played hard. Still we took bad shots. Gave up easy shots. And didn’t rebound. This looked like norms boys playing hard and losing, like always.
8-35, 9 in a row

Actually, it’s 7 losses in a row, but we’ll get there.

Zero boxing out. We worked for every point we scored. We gave Xavier half their points for free. Never in my wildest imagination did I think it would be possible that we would have a coach worse than Norm Roberts. But St.John’s has done it.

« Reply #204 on: January 17, 2018, 11:43:07 PM »
These refs pay no mind to Mullin
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

« Reply #205 on: January 17, 2018, 11:46:31 PM »
Depth and another shooter hurt us here. Lovett would have been nice this game. Great effort against a good team.
I know he is on the perimeter on offense but you think Clark could get 3 or 4 rebounds on accident.
Ahmed when bad is a disaster.
Ponds bad night wasn't because of his shooting problems as he hit a better % than he normally does. Those are tough drives and at his frame sometimes going to struggle. Also thought he got hit a few times. He is going to have to knock down some shots because they are playing off him now.
I know he had a career game shooting and turnover prone but as I have said all year Simon is really fun to watch. What we all wanted Reggie Jessie and Ellison to be.

Keep hanging close and losing takes a toll, but I think we beat Gtown.
Simon=Swiss Army Knife

Poison

« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2018, 11:49:08 PM »
We are short an outside shooter and a big-bodied rebounder. Even so, with LoVett we would have run Xavier ragged tonight. Tough to play nearly 40 minutes against waves of fresh bodies off the bench. Nice stretch to get back in the game in the second half and take a lead, but that level of effort is unsustainable when playing a ranked team that is undefeated at home with a full bench and extra bigs to throw at us.

We played freshman defense. Fell for every ball fake, lost every shooter and again didn’t bother to box out. The last time we had a coach with upperclassmen this clueless we wanted him fired.

Marillac

« Reply #207 on: January 18, 2018, 12:05:41 AM »
Man 3 LAY up opportunities first Clark then Ponds twice to get the lead to 5 and they can't convert...

They are owed some good luck...make some shots here last 7 minutes...
Clark misses just about every layup opportunity.

All year.

« Reply #208 on: January 18, 2018, 12:06:47 AM »

TONYD3

« Reply #209 on: January 18, 2018, 06:13:55 AM »
8-35
Their were some positives. The guys played hard. Still we took bad shots. Gave up easy shots. And didn’t rebound. This looked like norms boys playing hard and losing, like always.
8-35, 9 in a row

Actually, it’s 7 losses in a row, but we’ll get there.

Zero boxing out. We worked for every point we scored. We gave Xavier half their points for free. Never in my wildest imagination did I think it would be possible that we would have a coach worse than Norm Roberts. But St.John’s has done it.
Goes back to last season. 9 big east games in a row

« Reply #210 on: January 18, 2018, 09:22:22 AM »
It has to be all Ponds now.

Good call after Simon just made 3 plays in a row...

He's too reckless. His points aren't sustainable in the half court in close games.

"Reckless" Simon - 28pts / 9reb /6ast / 3stl / 2to

Simon had the game of his life. He made hideous shot after hideous shot. That's just not sustainable with his form. His floaters look horrendous and he hit about 8 jumpers. Dom Pointer had games he couldn't miss as well. That is not a formula for success

Ponds was unreal for the first 13-14 minutes of the second half, but I'll admit he was awful to end it.  Just really bad.

It's very discouraging how poorly our guys hit the offensive glass. Five offensive boards?! Everyone follows Ponds on his drives and leaves a clear lane for our guys to sneak in for easy putbacks, but nobody is ever there. How is that possible?

I think Brian Fantana should take this one:
"Take it easy, Champ. Why don't you sit this next one out, stop talking for a while. "
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:23:43 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #211 on: January 18, 2018, 09:30:26 AM »
Man 3 LAY up opportunities first Clark then Ponds twice to get the lead to 5 and they can't convert...

All year.

I know you have recently gone cuckoo for coco puffs and all and really don't mean to add on but I feel my friend Stat Sheet needs to stop being ignored. Ponds shooting 39% overall compared to 47% for Clark. Now yes Ponds is better, takes tougher shots and Clark's rebounding is downright embarrassing, but you simply have to stop making things up to downgrade other guys to make Ponds look better.

Ponds is our best player and very good. He has not had the year he or us expected and that is part of the problem. He said as much a couple weeks ago. W/o Ponds we stink. We all get it but he also has to play better next year if we are to be decent and if he has any pro aspirations. He gets lazy on D and he is going to have to make an outside shot every once in awhile to keep defenses honest.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:42:01 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #212 on: January 18, 2018, 11:26:13 AM »

All year.
Add this to his rebounding woes and it seems Mr. Clark has an aversion to the basket and the backboard or maybe he is just allergic to them.

cjfish

« Reply #213 on: January 18, 2018, 11:34:27 AM »
-21:5 assist to turnover ratio, 15 caused turnovers, and a major breakthrough in press defense are all very promising.

-Being out rebounded by 16 and giving up 14 3's for a +50% yet again is more of the same.

-These kids resiliency and refusal to give into their record is inspiring and makes me as a STH proud & looking forward to Saturday.

-Within the past 5 days they've tied #1 Nova and beat #11 X by 2 in the 2nd half. Soon enough they'll play a full 40, I think it happens this wknd.

-Once Justin masters his shooting stroke he'll be the face of the program. Shamorie continues to mature with his shot selection yet his lapses tonight in the final 10 minutes of the second half cost them the game. Attrition playing a huge part again. Trimble night by night is coming along just fine, I want him to stay in the program and continue to grow.

-This Winter has been brutal. However this team is starting to find itself again sans Marcus. The 82 points tonight is the team's highest total since December 2nd (Sacred Heart) and ties it's 2nd highest output this season.

I agree that they are progressing and learning to play without Lovett.  I think exhaustion is a problem and think that CM should use timeouts to rest players, excepting of course when the opposition is on a serious run.  I see some wins coming up.

« Reply #214 on: January 18, 2018, 11:44:32 AM »

All year.
Add this to his rebounding woes and it seems Mr. Clark has an aversion to the basket and the backboard or maybe he is just allergic to them.

I watched him play at Mich st. Really surprising about his rebounding.
IMO the reasons we are as bad as we are :
1. Lovett
2. Lack of depth / zombie Yakwe
3. Lack of toughness / rebounding from Clark
4. Ponds outside shooting

Foad

« Reply #215 on: January 18, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »
Xavier - St John's recap http://www.bigeastboards.com/

« Reply #216 on: January 18, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »
Xavier - St John's recap http://www.bigeastboards.com/

Enjoyable as always.
Not sure how I missed the whole mailbox thing but don't remember that. That is pretty crazy.
See I met a bunch of posters at a BEB thing awhile back and it was nice and all but  I think I like it better not knowing everyone's real identity.

For instance I picture you looking like a cross between Joe Walsh, Elmore Leonard and Larry David.
Masejr I picture looking like the kid from the Goldberg's TV show
Paultz-Mike Vaccaro. In fact I think he might be Mike Vaccaro.
Tony-Steve Lavin. In fact I think he might be Steve Lavin
Fordham-Like the old guy in UP. The guy with the balloons.

Foad

« Reply #217 on: January 18, 2018, 02:42:18 PM »
I picture you looking like a cross between Joe Walsh, Elmore Leonard and Larry David.

Oh come on, I'm much better looking than that. A virile six feet - not too short not too tall - a manly beard, full head of short cropped salt and pepper hair, distinguished gray temples. Picture George Clooney, add 30 pound and put him in gray sweat pants and a stained white tee shirt.

« Reply #218 on: January 18, 2018, 02:52:15 PM »
I picture you looking like a cross between Joe Walsh, Elmore Leonard and Larry David.

Oh come on, I'm much better looking than that. A virile six feet - not too short not too tall - a manly beard, full head of short cropped salt and pepper hair, distinguished gray temples. Picture George Clooney, add 30 pound and put him in gray sweat pants and a stained white tee shirt.

Figured you had that angry, eccentric genius look going. Kurt Vonnegut maybe. You know 1970's college professor thing. Tweed jacket , smoking a pipe and drinking a scotch. Don't ruin it for me. Was bad enough when I met Baldi and he didn't look like Sen John Blutarsky. Though in fairness was not that far off on that one.

I forgot Poison in earlier post. In my head he looks like Ming the Merciless from Flash Gordon for some reason.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 02:55:08 PM by we are sju »

« Reply #219 on: January 18, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »

Figured you had that angry, eccentric genius look going. Kurt Vonnegut maybe. You know 1970's college professor thing. Tweed jacket , smoking a pipe and drinking a scotch. Don't ruin it for me. Was bad enough when I met Baldi and he didn't look like Sen John Blutarsky. Though in fairness was not that far off on that one.

I forgot Poison in earlier post. In my head he looks like Ming the Merciless from Flash Gordon for some reason.

Blutarski is a compliment. Guy was a champ