Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S

• 315 replies
Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 01:43:02 PM »
Speaking of Jerome Lane:

College career
He joined the University of Pittsburgh in 1985–86 as a 170-pound freshman. By his junior season, the 6'6" forward was 60 pounds heavier. In 1986–87, his 13.5 rebounds per game made him the first player 6'6" or shorter to lead the country in rebounds per game (13.5) since Niagara's Alex Ellis in 1957–58. He left school after leading the Big East Conference in rebounding during the 1987–88 season.

On January 25, 1988 in college basketball game featuring Lane's Pittsburgh team playing Providence on a national television broadcast, Lane broke the glass backboard with a one-handed dunk with Sean Miller assisting on the play. Often referred to simply as "The Dunk", the play was famously called by color analyst Bill Raftery when he exclaimed "Send it in, Jerome!!"[3] The play is on ESPN's list of the "100 Greatest Sports Highlights"[4] and has been the subject of numerous articles even decades later.

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 02:25:30 PM »
Really like this type of player but after seeing the video I can see why schools are taking their time in evaluating him. Yes he is a rugged well built young man put he plays like he is nailed to the floor. All the others mentioned in this thread could at least jump a little if not well. I can see his shot being stuffed inside a lot and for this reason i believe his basketball skill level is paramount. Just hope our staff makes the right decision whichever way they decide.

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 02:40:41 PM »
Dejuan Blair was 6'6" playing 4 and 5. As has been stated, we have our fair share of tall and long guys for next year, if the staff likes him I see no problem with adding some beef.

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 02:43:26 PM »
Dejuan Blair was 6'6" playing 4 and 5. As has been stated, we have our fair share of tall and long guys for next year, if the staff likes him I see no problem with adding some beef.

I was about to type Dejuan Blair.  He was highly-rated coming out of HS, but he wasn't a leaper by any means.  He had a good hoops IQ, and he used his body well (he was strong as heck) for positioning and garnering caroms.

Johnny23

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 02:49:15 PM »
Possibly but how many 6'5 PF's have excelled in the BE? Serious question

Perry McDonald. Jerome Lane. Adrian Griffin. Roger McCready. Mike Gansey. They all killed us.

Those guys were all higher rated than this kid. He's a mid major type guy. Mike Gansey? He was that shooter from WVU about 10 years ago right?  Not even a valid comparison. This guy's a mid major PF.

Johnny23

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2018, 02:50:21 PM »
Kid was getting a lot of big offers for football but he wants to play hoops in college. He's a 6'5 PF. Nice kid but not a BE level PF at all. We need a real big. Pass.

Sure, Big time talent would be nice. Maybe not an option. We have plenty of length, having a guy who can win an arm wrestling match could come in handy. Maybe he develops and helps us down the road.

Possibly but how many 6'5 PF's have excelled in the BE? Serious question. He's a really good HS player and these are some of the best Bosco teams in their bball history over his last few years. But he's a mid major college player. I just don't want to see the staff using a really precious scholly on an undersized PF who is solid but not much more.

Undersized 4s are not unicorns in college basketball. How tall was anything Glover?

Jordan Murphy on Minnesota is 6’6 240 averaging 17 pts and nearly 12 boards.

Good undersized PF's are definitely unicorns. You just named one that hasn't played in 15 years or whatever. Furthermore, both those guys were high rated players coming out of HS. Earlington is not. Marginal BE level player at best. Staff should be setting sights higher.

No one is projecting him to be all BE. Everyone would love a highly ranked kid.
How tall was Justin brownley? Christian jones? DJ Kennedy was 6’5 and excelled at the 4 spot.
Bad comparison. Don’t think he is anything like those 3.
is he anthony Glover good? Lamont Middleton good? If yes to either I am fine with it. If he is Dexter gray 2.0 we should pass.

Dexter Gray would be a higher rated recruit coming out of HS than this kid. FWIW.

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 03:03:29 PM »

I was about to type Dejuan Blair.  He was highly-rated coming out of HS, but he wasn't a leaper by any means.  He had a good hoops IQ, and he used his body well (he was strong as heck) for positioning and garnering caroms.
Blair was a beast. Don't care what heights and weights they give these kids Blair was much bigger and knew or had a nack for carving out space. Granted based only on a few clips but this kid doesn't look to at this time have those abilities or instincts.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:06:35 PM by Celtics11 »

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 03:17:18 PM »
Kid was getting a lot of big offers for football but he wants to play hoops in college. He's a 6'5 PF. Nice kid but not a BE level PF at all. We need a real big. Pass.

Sure, Big time talent would be nice. Maybe not an option. We have plenty of length, having a guy who can win an arm wrestling match could come in handy. Maybe he develops and helps us down the road.

Possibly but how many 6'5 PF's have excelled in the BE? Serious question. He's a really good HS player and these are some of the best Bosco teams in their bball history over his last few years. But he's a mid major college player. I just don't want to see the staff using a really precious scholly on an undersized PF who is solid but not much more.

I'm sure he'll be listed at 6'6 in college -- not that it means anything, but it does help for comparisons. Anyone that stood next to Glover will tell you he was at most 6'4. Donya Abrams was only 6'5 and change as is Draymond Green.

Reach can mitigate the lack of height, and it looks like he has long arms. He also seems to have some legit ability to get his shoulder into a guy and take him off the bounce.

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 03:24:26 PM »
Also, Antonio Gates has to be mentioned as well. He was 6'4 250 and averaged 20 and 8 on his way to an Elite 8 and honorable mention All-American. He started out playing both basketball and football at Michigan St. before he was forced to choose.

Johnny23

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 03:25:57 PM »

I'm sure he'll be listed at 6'6 in college -- not that it means anything, but it does help for comparisons. Anyone that stood next to Glover will tell you he was at most 6'4. Donya Abrams was only 6'5 and change as is Draymond Green.

Reach can mitigate the lack of height, and it looks like he has long arms. He also seems to have some legit ability to get his shoulder into a guy and take him off the bounce.

Forget the size comparison. I'm talking about the overall player comparison. Those guys were all on a different level talent wise and ratings wise coming out of HS. Not sure why SJU is settling for this guy when there's still plenty of time to target another quality big for next season.

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2018, 03:45:22 PM »
Lazar hayward, jayVaughn Pinkston, Craig Smith, Marcus derrickson, Jeff Robinson, Ryan gomes, emmit holt, dom pointer, jae crowder. Nova lists paschell at 6’9 lol. If he has 4 inches on Simon I will jump off a bridge. Fordham listed him at 6’6.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:54:42 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2018, 04:03:21 PM »

Perry McDonald. Jerome Lane. Adrian Griffin. Roger McCready. Mike Gansey. They all killed us.

Those guys were all higher rated than this kid.

So the question you were asking when you asked "how many 6'5 PF's have excelled in the BE" was really how many 6'5 PF's have excelled in the BE who lower rated than the guys who were higher rated than this guy. In the future phrase your questions better. Otherwise it will appear that you just didn't like the answer.

This guy's a mid major PF.

I never heard of him before last week. Since you seemingly have seen him play often as you followed his HS career I'll defer to your expertise. That said, he was an all state BB player as a junior and seems to be just the sort of player everyone wishes Marvin Clark were. A big body who's not afraid to mix it up inside. Still, as the last place team in the BE we can no doubt afford to wait for a more suitable recruit, the five stars will be breaking down the door any minute now.

paultzman

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2018, 04:05:30 PM »
They will primarily target a grad transfer big & hopefully will have better results than last year. Adding Earlington, who Davidson is also pursuing, is no risk. He’ll either be a nice role player or not. If it does not work out so be it.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2018, 04:27:23 PM »

Forget the size comparison. I'm talking about the overall player comparison. Those guys were all on a different level talent wise and ratings wise coming out of HS. Not sure why SJU is settling for this guy when there's still plenty of time to target another quality big for next season.

Antonio Gates went to Michigan St. on a football scholarship and then he played basketball at Kent St., which isn't exactly a powerhouse. These kinds of kids are hard to evaluate. They either can't figure out a way to mitigate the size differential or they do and just physically dominate basketball players below the rim with their physicality. I say he's worth it on this team. We need someone to throw people around and go after offensive rebounds.

Johnny23

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2018, 04:44:55 PM »

Those guys were all higher rated than this kid.

So the question you were asking when you asked "how many 6'5 PF's have excelled in the BE" was really how many 6'5 PF's have excelled in the BE who lower rated than the guys who were higher rated than this guy. In the future phrase your questions better. Otherwise it will appear that you just didn't like the answer.

This guy's a mid major PF.

I never heard of him before last week. Since you seemingly have seen him play often as you followed his HS career I'll defer to your expertise. That said, he was an all state BB player as a junior and seems to be just the sort of player everyone wishes Marvin Clark were. A big body who's not afraid to mix it up inside. Still, as the last place team in the BE we can no doubt afford to wait for a more suitable recruit, the five stars will be breaking down the door any minute now.

All I'm saying is we still have time to be recruiting all options so hopefully there's other PF's on the staff's radar. I do like Earlington's toughness so I'll give him that.

Johnny23

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 04:47:14 PM »

Antonio Gates went to Michigan St. on a football scholarship and then he played basketball at Kent St., which isn't exactly a powerhouse. These kinds of kids are hard to evaluate. They either can't figure out a way to mitigate the size differential or they do and just physically dominate basketball players below the rim with their physicality. I say he's worth it on this team. We need someone to throw people around and go after offensive rebounds.

If he can do that for us then I'm ok with it.

TONYD3

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2018, 07:20:07 PM »

Undersized 4s are not unicorns in college basketball. How tall was anything Glover?

Good undersized PF's are definitely unicorns. You just named one that hasn't played in 15 years or whatever. Furthermore, both those guys were high rated players coming out of HS. Earlington is not. Marginal BE level player at best. Staff should be setting sights higher.

How tall was Justin brownley? Christian jones? DJ Kennedy was 6’5 and excelled at the 4 spot.
is he anthony Glover good? Lamont Middleton good? If yes to either I am fine with it. If he is Dexter gray 2.0 we should pass.

Missing the point.
No think you are. DJ was not a 4. He rebounded well for a wing. He could also guard a post player. He was listed as 6’6 Brownlee was also a wing . He was athletic. Close to 6’7 . Don’t really remember his defense. Christina looked the part.
The 3 guys I mentioned were all short PF’s. Probably before your time.

Just read the thread you quoted. Talking about undersized 4’s. Brownlee started at the 5 senior year. DJ the 4. Jones averaged 8 and 6. You hated him I get it. We could use him.
DJ Kennedy was not a PF. Brownlee was not a center. That team also had Burrell, Evans, and center forgot his name (African name I think). What you seem to forget is polee started. He only played a few minutes. Burrell and Owens were inside players on that team, and brownlee guarded post guys at times.
Jones- anyone who plays minutes- can accumulate stats. If he he got 8 and 6 how many did his guy get? Please explain one game that he played well and we won? He was a 4 year player (red shirted) did yakwe scare him off?

This comparison again has nothing to do with this kid. He is an short HUSKY PF. Even though DJ is taller they play different positions. Tyrone grant would have been another guy to compare him to, not jones or brownlee.

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2018, 07:45:35 PM »

Missing the point.
No think you are. DJ was not a 4. He rebounded well for a wing. He could also guard a post player. He was listed as 6’6 Brownlee was also a wing . He was athletic. Close to 6’7 . Don’t really remember his defense. Christina looked the part.
The 3 guys I mentioned were all short PF’s. Probably before your time.

Just read the thread you quoted. Talking about undersized 4’s. Brownlee started at the 5 senior year. DJ the 4. Jones averaged 8 and 6. You hated him I get it. We could use him.
DJ Kennedy was not a PF. Brownlee was not a center. That team also had Burrell, Evans, and center forgot his name (African name I think). What you seem to forget is polee started. He only played a few minutes. Burrell and Owens were inside players on that team, and brownlee guarded post guys at times.
Jones- anyone who plays minutes- can accumulate stats. If he he got 8 and 6 how many did his guy get? Please explain one game that he played well and we won? He was a 4 year player (red shirted) did yakwe scare him off?

This comparison again has nothing to do with this kid. He is an short HUSKY PF. Even though DJ is taller they play different positions. Tyrone grant would have been another guy to compare him to, not jones or brownlee.

Just please read what you’re responding to tony. The conversation was about undersized 4s. And absolutely DJ Kennedy and brownlee played a shit ton of minutes at the 4.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2018, 08:03:27 PM »
This kid has offers from penn. state, Michigan state and Georgia to play strong side defensive end. He must be some kind of athlete.

Foad

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2018, 08:27:43 PM »
All I'm saying is we still have time to be recruiting all options

Thought provoking statement that should prove controversial. Hopefully some energetic discussion follows.