Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S

• 315 replies

TONYD3

Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2018, 07:58:09 AM »
Can he possibly play as a SF? Combo F?

Don’t think he was really scouted for basketball rankings as most thought he was going to play football.
I hope not. We don’t need another post player thinking he is a gunner.

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2018, 10:13:49 AM »

Don’t think he was really scouted for basketball rankings as most thought he was going to play football.

To be fair, that's the nature of basketball these days. And if you're referring to Clark, his gunning won the last game and has factored in to just about every game in the win streak.

TONYD3

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2018, 12:18:21 PM »

To be fair, that's the nature of basketball these days. And if you're referring to Clark, his gunning won the last game and has factored in to just about every game in the win streak.
Clarke is a better shooter then I thought . Don’t think he is as good as most of you think. Ownes cant get a rebound If he is 20 feet from the basket. Even if Owens hits 3/10 how many easy baskets does his missed turn into for the other team.
Basketball may be changing. When bad players take bad shots teams still lose. Big players taking long shots usually isn’t a recipe for success.
Clarke- I think he taking better shots. He is rebounding. Playing defense. And shooting from the outside. Fine with that, he kind thought he was a gunner early in the year.

goredmen

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2018, 12:27:30 PM »

Clarke is a better shooter then I thought . Don’t think he is as good as most of you think. Ownes cant get a rebound If he is 20 feet from the basket. Even if Owens hits 3/10 how many easy baskets does his missed turn into for the other team.
Basketball may be changing. When bad players take bad shots teams still lose. Big players taking long shots usually isn’t a recipe for success.
Clarke- I think he taking better shots. He is rebounding. Playing defense. And shooting from the outside. Fine with that, he kind thought he was a gunner early in the year.

First of all, its Clark, not Clarke. Secondly, I don't know why anybody who has ever watched him play could conclude he is anything close to a "post player". He's not now and he hever has been, never will be. He's a 3 that is being forced to play the 4 this year because of the lack of size on the team and the fact that he's heavier and not as athletic as a typical 3 in today's college basketball.

Clark is a gunner and should be. He's shooting 43% from 3 on 120 attempts. That's no accident. He should stay as far away from the low post as possible on offense.

TONYD3

« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2018, 12:37:55 PM »

First of all, its Clark, not Clarke. Secondly, I don't know why anybody who has ever watched him play could conclude he is anything close to a "post player". He's not now and he hever has been, never will be. He's a 3 that is being forced to play the 4 this year because of the lack of size on the team and the fact that he's heavier and not as athletic as a typical 3 in today's college basketball.

Clark is a gunner and should be. He's shooting 43% from 3 on 120 attempts. That's no accident. He should stay as far away from the low post as possible on offense.
Just said he wasn’t a gunner. JJ redick was a gunner. Harrison was a gunner. I was fine with him shooting anywhere any time . Don’t think clarkee is close to that

goredmen

« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2018, 07:52:37 PM »
So I suppose the staff is willing to take a chance here?

paultzman

« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2018, 12:06:34 PM »
Per Zach B

Zach Braziller‏Verified account
@NYPost_Brazille

Don Bosco Prep senior forward Marcellus Earlington taking official to St Johns this weekend per source #

Matt will also see him play Friday I believe

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2018, 04:56:49 AM »
The kid had huge football offers, everyone assumed the kid was going the football route. He definitely will need to put in the work this spring/summer and next year to keep progressing on the basketball court.

Let's not be foolish here. It is not like we are a perennial NCAA tournament team and the model of consistency. If the kid decides to be here, then he has my support.

If he comes and it doesn't work out, then what happens with 50% of college basketball will happen. He will either move on or the team will move on.

With 2-3 open scholarships for next year, and depth at the big guy spots (Keita, Owens, Clark, Roberts), I don't think it's a huge gamble to take a shot.

Have 13 scholarships for a reason - not everyone can be 4 and 5 star. Give the kid a chance to develop if he chooses to come.

« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2018, 09:32:21 AM »
hoping for lamont middleton after 2 years

« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2018, 09:48:18 AM »
The kid had huge football offers, everyone assumed the kid was going the football route. He definitely will need to put in the work this spring/summer and next year to keep progressing on the basketball court.

Let's not be foolish here. It is not like we are a perennial NCAA tournament team and the model of consistency. If the kid decides to be here, then he has my support.

If he comes and it doesn't work out, then what happens with 50% of college basketball will happen. He will either move on or the team will move on.

With 2-3 open scholarships for next year, and depth at the big guy spots (Keita, Owens, Clark, Roberts), I don't think it's a huge gamble to take a shot.

Have 13 scholarships for a reason - not everyone can be 4 and 5 star. Give the kid a chance to develop if he chooses to come.

I don't mind taking a flyer on this guy but without Brooks the new big guys need to be able to step in and contribute because at this point with no Brooks and Brown unlikely it does not sound like they will land a difference maker for next year this late.

Johnny23

« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2018, 10:02:41 AM »
2 star prospect. I thought Mullin was brought in to help with recruiting. Norm could've easily landed this kid. #Settling

« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2018, 10:29:40 AM »
2 star prospect. I thought Mullin was brought in to help with recruiting. Norm could've easily landed this kid. #Settling

Or look at it like this.

Earlington isn’t getting our last ship.
Isn’t being chosen over a top prospect.
Is physically something we don’t currently have.
If he develops mullin and staff can point to him and say, “hey here’s this kid we took a chance on, developed him into a big east player, even when posters like Johnny23 said we were settling. Come play for us and we will get you where you need to be. “
If he doesn’t develop, then he’s on the end of the bench or he transfers like 50% of recruits do anyway.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »

Or look at it like this.

If he develops mullin and staff can point to him and say, “hey here’s this kid we took a chance on, developed him into a big east player, even when posters like Johnny23 said we were settling. Come play for us and we will get you where you need to be. “
If he doesn’t develop, then he’s on the end of the bench or he transfers like 50% of recruits do anyway.

Sean Evans was a beefy football player from Philly late to the hoops game. He was not Charles Barkley at SJU, but in time (when he stopped dribbling all over the place) became a functional player. Matt  apparently sees the comparison and staff seems willing to give it a go. Also, I have heard the kid really wants to be a part of getting program back to being consistently successful.

Also, they will still pursue a more ready transfer big to play a lot of minutes immediately, so why not take a chance with ME developing? If they fan on the grad transfer bitch away. Btw, it is not like high quality interior recruits are knocking our door down.  Start winning & change that.

QuanMan

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »
A local kid who is beaming with leadership qualities and is adored at his HS as a two sport star and wants to bring the program back? Without hesitation sign him up.
Section 3
Section 116

goredmen

« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2018, 11:40:50 AM »

Or look at it like this.

Sean Evans was a beefy football player from Philly late to the hoops game. He was not Charles Barkley at SJU, but in time (when he stopped dribbling all over the place) became a functional player. Matt  apparently sees the comparison and staff seems willing to give it a go. Also, I have heard the kid really wants to be a part of getting program back to being consistently successful.

Also, they will still pursue a more ready transfer big to play a lot of minutes immediately, so why not take a chance with ME developing? If they fan on the grad transfer bitch away. Btw, it is not like high quality interior recruits are knocking our door down.  Start winning & change that.

Agree 100%. Why not take a chance on this kid if he has a great attitude and we have a scholarship to offer while still going all in for a grad transfer. Kid could be a pit bull type that at least toughens the rest of the guys up by practicing with/against them. If his skills don't develop after first couple of years and he is recruited over and/or transfers down, so be it

« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »

Or look at it like this.

Agree 100%. Why not take a chance on this kid if he has a great attitude and we have a scholarship to offer while still going all in for a grad transfer. Kid could be a pit bull type that at least toughens the rest of the guys up by practicing with/against them. If his skills don't develop after first couple of years and he is recruited over and/or transfers down, so be it

Again the issue is he probably won't make a difference next year.  And if he does play significant minutes next year then either he is being WAAYYY under recruited or the more likely scenario is the current roster just is not that good. 

But don't have an issue taking a flyer on him.  I prefer in light of Brooks bailing they land a difference maker but that is unlikely at this point.

goredmen

« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »

Or look at it like this.

Again the issue is he probably won't make a difference next year.  And if he does play significant minutes next year then either he is being WAAYYY under recruited or the more likely scenario is the current roster just is not that good. 

But don't have an issue taking a flyer on him.  I prefer in light of Brooks bailing they land a difference maker but that is unlikely at this point.

Well yeah obviously if there is a difference maker out there with interest in coming here then take him over Earlington. But since there isn't there's no downside in bringing this kid in and hoping he develops into a junkyard dog type player over 4 years here. If his scholarship being tied up won't prevent us from getting a better player, why not. Even if he doesn't play a minute next year he could still help by pushing Owens/Clark/Keita around in practice and toughen them up. This team could use a guy like that

ras

« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
I dont think we will be seeing Yakwe next year. So, we have an extra scholi there. Again , not the ideal recruit, but may serve a purpose and develop.

paultzman

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2018, 12:39:20 PM »
I dont think we will be seeing Yakwe next year. So, we have an extra scholi there. Again , not the ideal recruit, but may serve a purpose and develop.
Sense you are correct on Yakwe

Johnny23

« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2018, 01:02:46 PM »

Or look at it like this.

I guess. I'm just playing devil's advocate here but yeah if they have a few ships to give out and it's not our last one then I'm ok with it. I'm just very familiar with the kid and Bosco's hoops program. These last two years are probably two of their best teams ever. Earlington is getting a lot of love in NJ for the fact that he's a good leader for a really good squad these past two seasons. Hopefully those leadership skills and brute strength rub off if he signs with us.