New Coach

• 840 replies

sju89tr

Re: New Coach
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 11:43:14 AM »
Rothstein on WFAN basically saying it's Hurley at the top of the list and Cluess right behind. So nothing that we didn't know basically but he's pretty adamant that Cluess would be right in the thick of it if Hurley somehow doesn't end up here

Cluess would be a "weak single to left" type of hire. I have ZERO belief that we can ever end up at the top of the conference with him. If that were teh case, should have just stuck with Mullin. At least he brought in the corporate money.     

wpc77

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 11:56:17 AM »
Every AD has 1 or 2 guys they call first just to see if somehow they are interested.  For Cragg, that will be Brey. 

Then I assume he is going to focus on Hurley and if he says no, Cluess or Scheyer. 

AD's also usually have a "glass box" coach who is a safe bet to be at least good, whose box you smash if you don't get the top guy(s) you want and are settling for guys like Cluess or Scheyer.  For Cragg, I assume that is Chris Collins.

pmg911

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 12:04:20 PM »
Every AD has 1 or 2 guys they call first just to see if somehow they are interested.  For Cragg, that will be Brey. 

Then I assume he is going to focus on Hurley and if he says no, Cluess or Scheyer. 

AD's also usually have a "glass box" coach who is a safe bet to be at least good, whose box you smash if you don't get the top guy(s) you want and are settling for guys like Cluess or Scheyer.  For Cragg, I assume that is Chris Collins.

Chris Collins is not going anywhere - unless Duke calls when Coach K retires. He loves it at Northwestern and don't forget, he is coaching in the city he grew up in...

There is no way Mike Cragg is hiring anyone with former ties to SJU...   this is his hire and he will get the guy he wants so you can forget about Tim Cluess or Mark Jackson.

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 12:08:03 PM »
Outside of Villanova being a better school, why can't St. John's be as good as Villanova. When Steve Lappas was there, St. John's was regularly better than Villanova and for the first 5 years of Wright's time at Nova. St. John's was the better program...  Jay is an amazing coach, great recruiter but don't forget, his seat was on fire at Nova in year 4...

St. John's had a better program for decades and Villanova has only emerged as a national power program because of Jay Wright.

The right hire can do that for St. John's.

The key words here are "right hire".  Our "right hires" have always been high risk which have brought about predictably disappointing rewards.  There are very few coaches out there who'll help us shed our mid-major image.  We won't get one.  Lavin came pretty close...then he was tagged as lazy.  Mullin/Richmond were also close. Then the lazy tag again. Oh, yeah, Jarvis was lazy. You'd think with three hall of famers on campus, plus another one under Lavin, we'd be perceived as more of a destination for four and five star players.  If Hurley comes, it'll only be a matter of time when the boo birds will complain that he's spending too much time at the track and not enough recruiting players who want to play at name schools anyway.

Short of Pitino or Thad Matta...proven commodities who won't come here...we'll be scrounging around for another "lazy" hopeful who'll have one eye out the door.

Villanova caught lightning in a bottle.  I'm sure when Pecora left Hofstra for Fordham, alumni at that Atlantic 10 school thought it was lightning in the bottle as well.  No cigar, because Fordham is Fordham as St John's is St John's.

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 12:18:48 PM »
This search can only end with one of two guys or it is a failure IMO. You either get Bobby Hurley with a running start or Pitino who is a Final Four machine and will come out swinging and a chip on his shoulder the size of the Grand Canyon.

Forgiveness is the center of the Catholic faith.

My preference is Bobby because I believe he’ll bring 2-3 players with him and that can put us over the top next year.

I think either coach would be enough to entice Ponds to return if he went undrafted.

goredmen

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 12:19:42 PM »

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 12:25:04 PM »
The key words here are "right hire".  Our "right hires" have always been high risk which have brought about predictably disappointing rewards.  There are very few coaches out there who'll help us shed our mid-major image.  We won't get one.  Lavin came pretty close...then he was tagged as lazy.  Mullin/Richmond were also close. Then the lazy tag again. Oh, yeah, Jarvis was lazy. You'd think with three hall of famers on campus, plus another one under Lavin, we'd be perceived as more of a destination for four and five star players.  If Hurley comes, it'll only be a matter of time when the boo birds will complain that he's spending too much time at the track and not enough recruiting players who want to play at name schools anyway.

Short of Pitino or Thad Matta...proven commodities who won't come here...we'll be scrounging around for another "lazy" hopeful who'll have one eye out the door.

Villanova caught lightning in a bottle.  I'm sure when Pecora left Hofstra for Fordham, alumni at that Atlantic 10 school thought it was lightning in the bottle as well.  No cigar, because Fordham is Fordham as St John's is St John's.

Even if it is unlikely they accept, Cragg's first 2 calls should be to Pitino and Thad Matta if we are serious about being a national power. Repole and those other alums instead of reaching for Billy Donovan who we had 0 chance with for the big offer should throw the money back at one of those 2. If it fails, we go back to Hurley, Jackson etc. This Duke assistant stuff unless they made it on their own will not work. We are not Duke that recruits itself and has Coach K. It will be no better than the lets get Norm from Kansas logic that clearly failed.

Coach K makes Duke not his assistants/former players. Hurley is different in that he also had his father to learn from and has done decent these 6 years and has the recruiting connects in this area.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:25:45 PM by friendofjohnnie »

pmg911

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 12:53:20 PM »
This search can only end with one of two guys or it is a failure IMO. You either get Bobby Hurley with a running start or Pitino who is a Final Four machine and will come out swinging and a chip on his shoulder the size of the Grand Canyon.

Forgiveness is the center of the Catholic faith.

My preference is Bobby because I believe he’ll bring 2-3 players with him and that can put us over the top next year.

I think either coach would be enough to entice Ponds to return if he went undrafted.

Ponds is not returning unless he can make up an entire semester of work. Told he stopped attending classes - hope that is bad information...

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2019, 12:57:52 PM »
Cronin to UCLA

sju89tr

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2019, 01:31:51 PM »

pmg911

« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »
Interesting take from Jon Rothstein..

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/potential-recruiting-battles-brother-might-steer-bobby-hurley-away-st-johns

**I think being close to his family is the #1 reason Bobby would take the job if it is offered

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2019, 01:45:57 PM »
Interesting take from Jon Rothstein..

https://wfan.radio.com/articles/potential-recruiting-battles-brother-might-steer-bobby-hurley-away-st-johns

**I think being close to his family is the #1 reason Bobby would take the job if it is offered

This article makes it sounds like Mullin decided to step down all of a sudden.

Maybe that came after the extension denial?
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2019, 01:53:14 PM »
Zach reporting Pitino reached out to us and is interested lol.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/09/what-we-know-about-st-johns-mullin-goes-dark-bankroller-found/

sju89tr

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2019, 01:55:35 PM »
Repole would open his wallet for Pitino and he is the best possible coach for SJU     

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2019, 02:00:17 PM »
LOL Rick demanding apology from District of NY. Gotta love his ego.  Would love to have him here.

sju89tr

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2019, 02:12:34 PM »
LOL Rick demanding apology from District of NY. Gotta love his ego.  Would love to have him here.

I am sure he will back down on that but now is the time to get him and ride out good times for the next 5 years.

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2019, 02:13:08 PM »
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 02:13:38 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 02:17:08 PM »
Think the Rothstein take on Mullin walking away is total nonsense. He is being forced out and deserves every penny of the contract he signed. This is a Dookie coup with Cragg trying to give the job to Hurley despite his absurd buyout clause.  Piton is our best recourse here by far.  Cost effective and a far better coach.  The Garden would be on steroids.

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »
Please dont mess this up. Pitino is interested, has taken 3 teams to the final 4, would actually be more cost effective than Hurley...

Do we want to be a big time program again? Well it's time to make a big time hire.

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2019, 02:29:06 PM »
Please dont mess this up. Pitino is interested, has taken 3 teams to the final 4, would actually be more cost effective than Hurley...

Do we want to be a big time program again? Well it's time to make a big time hire.

completely agree. the fact he expressed interest, the hard part is over. make the call mike. don't think we will ever get an opportunity like this again.