New Coach

• 840 replies

SJUFAN

Re: New Coach
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2019, 02:33:20 PM »
Zach reporting Pitino reached out to us and is interested lol.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/09/what-we-know-about-st-johns-mullin-goes-dark-bankroller-found/

If there is a God, he will be on our bench next year. This will tell us how much the administration wants to win. Not like we will need to break the bank for Pitino. May be able to get him cheaper than what it will cost to bring in Hurley.

sju89tr

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2019, 02:47:24 PM »
The program has basically been shit for 3 decades, Pitino is not a long term answer but neither is Hurley so take the plunge. The Big East has become a stepping stone conference, Sure Rick has made mistakes, but it's not like he killed someone and people who have done bad things still coach Div I basketball. 

redslope

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2019, 02:50:34 PM »
Rick would not only be good for us, he would be HUGE get for the Big East.  And with Dante's closed........

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »
The program has basically been shit for 3 decades, Pitino is not a long term answer but neither is Hurley so take the plunge. The Big East has become a stepping stone conference, Sure Rick has made mistakes, but it's not like he killed someone and people who have done bad things still coach Div I basketball. 

Why would Hurley not be the long term answer?

I would think Wojo and Collins are safely ahead of him for the Duke gig when Coach K finally retires.

pmg911

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2019, 03:30:52 PM »
Repole would open his wallet for Pitino and he is the best possible coach for SJU     

Repole wants Hurley - he is #1, #2 & #3 choice...

Johnny23

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2019, 03:33:59 PM »
You guys need to expand your horizons a bit.

There are plenty of good, experienced coaches out there. Just take a list of the better P5 teams and start there. Then go to the mid-majors and look at the top coaches there not including Cluess who's already on the candidate list.

There is life beyond Hurley and Pitino. However we need to do everything to land one of these two first.

desco80

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2019, 03:48:40 PM »
The Hurley thing better be a done deal.  Cragg will have made a serious misstep if he let Mullin go to hire Cluess.

Marillac

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2019, 03:51:49 PM »
You guys need to expand your horizons a bit.

There are plenty of good, experienced coaches out there. Just take a list of the better P5 teams and start there. Then go to the mid-majors and look at the top coaches there not including Cluess who's already on the candidate list.

There is life beyond Hurley and Pitino. However we need to do everything to land one of these two first.

Sorry, you don’t fire a 21-win coach who made the tournament and is the face of the program to just get a good coach. It has to be a homerun.

Pitino is a sure thing although he may take a little longer because he doesn’t have the stable of players Hurley does.

Hurley is a bit riskier but he’s got 5-6 kids that could potential come with him (I’m confident he can’t get two of them to follow) and has relationships with recruits for next year.

Other than those two, Thad Matta would be acceptable IMO but not exciting.

That’s where it should end.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:53:49 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »

Pitino is a sure thing although he may take a little longer because he doesn’t have the stable of players Hurley does.

Pitino's "stable of players" are here already.  We'd be elite eight at worse with this team.  Then the complainers will say he did it with Mullin's players. Where are the superstars on Texas Tech (Owens??) or Virginia?

Pitino can coach.  Hurley??  Not so much.

Johnny23

« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2019, 04:32:26 PM »
Sorry, you don’t fire a 21-win coach who made the tournament and is the face of the program to just get a good coach. It has to be a homerun.

Hurley is a bit riskier but he’s got 5-6 kids that could potential come with him (I’m confident he can’t get two of them to follow) and has relationships with recruits for next year.

Other than those two, Thad Matta would be acceptable IMO but not exciting.

That’s where it should end.

There's no doubt it has to be a homerun. All I'm saying is there are other very good candidates out there besides these two.

However all eyes are on Hurley now so he's the most likely guy if he accepts.

He will recruit even better here than he did at any of his previous stops with the hometown ties.

lihoop

« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2019, 04:33:20 PM »
How about Johnny Dawkins or Kevin Boyle?

« Reply #52 on: April 09, 2019, 04:34:44 PM »
It's official now there's an article on ESPN. Boy I really hope we get Pitino. I liked Mullin but bottom line the results were not there in my opinion. They looked awful down the stretch. We might not have a shot at a coach of Pitinos caliber in a very long time. We should get him while we can. The media can spin how Catholics are forgiving and everyone deserves a second, third whatever chance. We're all human, we all make mistakes. Problem solved, get this guy in the door.

goredmen

« Reply #53 on: April 09, 2019, 04:34:52 PM »
All I'm saying is there are other very good candidates out there besides these two.

Like who that would be realistic

goredmen

« Reply #54 on: April 09, 2019, 04:42:39 PM »
Gonna be a rebuild for whoever the new coach is

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1115716147956023297

Johnny23

« Reply #55 on: April 09, 2019, 05:08:37 PM »
Like who that would be realistic

Ryan Odom, Porter Moser, and John Brannen just to name a few. All winners and ready to make the jump to the P5 level.

Poison

« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2019, 06:05:12 PM »
Outside of Villanova being a better school, why can't St. John's be as good as Villanova. When Steve Lappas was there, St. John's was regularly better than Villanova and for the first 5 years of Wright's time at Nova. St. John's was the better program...  Jay is an amazing coach, great recruiter but don't forget, his seat was on fire at Nova in year 4...

St. John's had a better program for decades and Villanova has only emerged as a national power program because of Jay Wright.

The right hire can do that for St. John's.

I don’t remember being clearly better than a Steve Lappas Nova team very often.

More like Haley’s Comet.

Poison

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2019, 06:06:22 PM »
Gonna be a rebuild for whoever the new coach is

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1115716147956023297

He’s insane. Not an NBA player. Not even close.

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2019, 06:29:31 PM »
Hes the worst jump shooting guard ive seen in a long time.  He has 0 chance to make an nba team.

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2019, 06:36:50 PM »
Justin Simon +1 year will have very little chance and will has 1 less year to make money in Europe. I understand him wanting to leave after award winning season.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle