94 Feet Of Heat

• 19 replies

QuanMan

94 Feet Of Heat
« on: October 01, 2019, 07:11:42 PM »
It's going to be our staple this year. Full court press leading to fast break points, collectively crashing the boards with vigor. We'll be hanging our hat on ball man assignments in a mix of man and zone.

We will have the pleasure of having a HC who people pay to watch run defensive clinics. Along with him is a AC who was 170-27 in 6 seasons with the same principles.

Who will shine in this system, who rides the bench? 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 07:15:20 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

Re: 94 Feet Of Heat
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 09:53:12 PM »
It's going to be our staple this year. Full court press leading to fast break points, collectively crashing the boards with vigor. We'll be hanging our hat on ball man assignments in a mix of man and zone.

We will have the pleasure of having a HC who people pay to watch run defensive clinics. Along with him is a AC who was 170-27 in 6 seasons with the same principles.

It really looks like Heron has bought in. Hard to say with so many new players and 6 returnees.

I can see Greg Williams locking up smaller guards, and Josh Roberts becoming a rebounding machine.

IDK if David Caraher can play defense, but if I had to guess who might be an inferior athlete that will struggle in a system where defense is required, I’d guess it would be him. But, I really don’t know.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 11:34:37 PM »
I'm all for this style but do have concerns over depth being capable.

I think LJ, Mustapha, Williams, Dunn can all run up top.

I think Rutherford can hold his own defensively but offensively he becomes a liability. I think McGriff will be similar to Malik Stith.

Steere can be a nice anchor to the defense. He's a lumbering shot blocker. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play. He's someone I wanted out of high school.

Caraher will be somewhat limited athletically but he's tough as hell. I'm hopeful he can be a Nate Lubick for us. If some of you recall him from Georgetown 2010-2014.

I'm not expecting a big leap from Roberts but I'm hoping he a little less Bambi this year. That and a little bit of muscle and he can be serviceable in a time share with Steere pending on matchups.

Earlington is a wildcard. I really don't know what to expect. I still think he's better as an undersized 4 where he becomes "fast" instead of a lumbering 3. I think he has a strong enough base to throw a forearm on the low block defensively and showed a good desire to rebound. I think he has potential as a Jayvaughn Pinkston but if he sticks on the perimeter I think he's subpar talent that's buried on the bench.

I hope Sears never sees the floor. If so we are in trouble.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 12:41:47 AM »

I think Rutherford can hold his own defensively but offensively he becomes a liability. I think McGriff will be similar to Malik Stith.

Steere can be a nice anchor to the defense. He's a lumbering shot blocker. I'm really looking forward to seeing him play. He's someone I wanted out of high school.

Caraher will be somewhat limited athletically but he's tough as hell. I'm hopeful he can be a Nate Lubick for us. If some of you recall him from Georgetown 2010-2014.

I'm not expecting a big leap from Roberts but I'm hoping he a little less Bambi this year. That and a little bit of muscle and he can be serviceable in a time share with Steere pending on matchups.

Earlington is a wildcard. I really don't know what to expect. I still think he's better as an undersized 4 where he becomes "fast" instead of a lumbering 3. I think he has a strong enough base to throw a forearm on the low block defensively and showed a good desire to rebound. I think he has potential as a Jayvaughn Pinkston but if he sticks on the perimeter I think he's subpar talent that's buried on the bench.

If Caraher is Nate Lubick good, we could go to the NCAA tournament.

You really think Sears is that bad? I hate to break it to you, but there aren't a lot of options in the paint if Steere can't play until December. I saw some video of him. He looks at least serviceable to me. He can play with his back to the basket, and that's something we've been missing. What has so down on him?

In regards to Earlington, he has this rep of being green overall, but wasn't he an all state basketball player? He knows how to play. He can play inside. He just has to want to, and that's what we don't know yet. He settled for three pointers more than he should have IMO. But maybe Anderson can coach him. Pinkston is a good comp. It may be a dream, but stranger things have happened.

McGriff will be similar to Malik Stith? This one I'm gonna question. This kid seems pretty tough, and he can play against a zone or man. We're not looking for him to replace Shamorie Ponds, but in split time with Rutherford, McGriff could give us 4 and 3 with some hustle plays for 15-20 minutes a game. We need guys who want to set up others. That's this kid.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:43:46 AM by Poison »

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 10:12:45 AM »
Undersized PG, can handle, good speed, not a great shooter, and more of distributor. He'll be scrappy and get a couple of steals with some layups. If that isn't Malik Stith idk what is.

QuanMan

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 10:48:42 AM »
In the frontcourt I think a improved Roberts next to Steere will be a really nice combo of shot blocking, rebounding and athleticism. Ideally Sears and Earlington both are spot minute guys who bring energy and breathers for them. Our first semester success is really dependent on Steere's eligibility. If he's ineligible, I bet we see a lot more of Champagnie in small sets.
Section 3
Section 116

SJUFAN

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 12:38:29 PM »

What is his limitations that have you concerned?

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »
What is his limitations that have you concerned?

Skill, speed, and overall athleticism.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 02:07:38 PM »
Skill, speed, and overall athleticism.
That's maybe because he's coming off an ACL tear, and each day he is getting stronger.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »
Undersized PG, can handle, good speed, not a great shooter, and more of distributor. He'll be scrappy and get a couple of steals with some layups. If that isn't Malik Stith idk what is.

Stith couldn’t defend an empty jersey.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 04:32:48 PM »
Stith couldn’t defend an empty jersey.
Malik Stith was a quitter, especially when his team needed him most.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 05:02:18 PM »

A more appropriate name for what we’ll see may be Gulliver’s Travels because we will be relying on a thousand 2 and 3* players to take down giants.

QuanMan

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 10:01:24 PM »
A more appropriate name for what we’ll see may be Gulliver’s Travels because we will be relying on a thousand 2 and 3* players to take down giants.

OK Marillac. When LJF and MH contend for BE 1st team don't forget to spark this thread back up.
Section 3
Section 116

Johnny23

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2019, 10:31:31 PM »

Caraher are Lubick are two totally different players.  Lubick was bigger, an effective post scorer and adept at cleaning up around the glass. Caraher is more of a skilled SF/wing who seems to have a good touch. The toughness is where I can see the comparison.

Pinkston was an All-BE type player. I don't think Earlington will ever get to that level but if he even gets 3rd team All-BE in his time here then it's still a win. No one thought he'd make any impact at this level.

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 11:02:28 PM »
Caraher are Lubick are two totally different players.  Lubick was bigger, an effective post scorer and adept at cleaning up around the glass. Caraher is more of a skilled SF/wing who seems to have a good touch. The toughness is where I can see the comparison.

Pinkston was an All-BE type player. I don't think Earlington will ever get to that level but if he even gets 3rd team All-BE in his time here then it's still a win. No one thought he'd make any impact at this level.
Even if he makes 3rd team All-BE? Are you kidding, that would be beyond anyone's wildest dreams. Would basically mean only 1.5 players per team were better.

Johnny23

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 11:08:31 PM »
Even if he makes 3rd team All-BE? Are you kidding, that would be beyond anyone's wildest dreams. Would basically mean only 1.5 players per team were better.

That's why I said it'd be a win and a major one at that. Any contribution he gives is more than anyone expected.

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 11:24:37 PM »
That's maybe because he's coming off an ACL tear, and each day he is getting stronger.

Yea coming off the ACL tear isn't exactly boosting his stock but we beat out Lamar and Nichols State for him. He's a big body who can physically hold his own on the block and good practice body. Lets not make him out to be more.

Honestly you need big men to battle in practice. It's valuable.

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 11:27:04 PM »

You are 100% correct. Different style players but same lunch pale mentality that make them glue guys. I don't think Lubick ever averaged over 8ppg but he was a key player.

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 11:27:53 PM »

If he ever became an impact starter I think that would be an accomplishment.

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2019, 02:43:51 AM »
OK Marillac. When LJF and MH contend for BE 1st team don't forget to spark this thread back up.

This season won’t be the problem.