Isaih Moore - Pearl River CC- 6’10 PF - ST. JOHN'S (Signed)

• 131 replies

Poison

Re: Isaih Moore - Pearl River CC- 6’10 PF
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2019, 02:09:51 PM »
Trying to be optimistic with new Coach and his process but there is zero chance this kid can play at Big East level...

Hard pass...

0% is how you express your optimism? How do you know this kid won’t get better in a year?

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2019, 02:30:29 PM »
0% is how you express your optimism? How do you know this kid won’t get better in a year?

There are a lot of developmental players on this roster already. Earlington, Roberts, Caraher were our end of the bench development guys already and we've added Champagnie, McGriff, Sears, and Dunn.

Over 75% of our roster would be borderline MAAC players. This isn't being negative just factual that this is the worst roster in the conference. I think bench coaching will improve and help make up some talent gaps but we need to do better recruiting.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

ras

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2019, 03:15:16 PM »
I think Dave has been a little critical of CMA. But. I agree w him regarding the fact that we should be shooting a little higher. I would rather see us  recruit Manual, a true big and preseason 2 nd team JUCO AA.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 03:15:53 PM by ras »

SJUFAN

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2019, 03:43:53 PM »
Y’all are all clowns.

cjfish

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2019, 05:34:54 PM »
I recall Lavin couldn’t qualify 3 recruits from his first class and never got Pelle

goredmen

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2019, 06:22:13 PM »
He's committed

Foad

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2019, 06:51:45 PM »
He's committed

Are four 2-star recruits equivalent to an 8-star recruit? Asking for a friend.

goredmen

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2019, 07:10:54 PM »
Are four 2-star recruits equivalent to an 8-star recruit? Asking for a friend.

3 coaches ago we had a guy who couldn't recruit or coach at a high level. The last 2 coaches were able to recruit but couldn't coach worth a damn. Personally, I'm ready for a guy that identifies players he likes and plans on developing them to play the roles he needs them to play. Guys that can both recruit and coach at a high level aren't coming to St. John's.

I have no clue how good Posh or Cole or Moore or whoever are gonna be. Maybe we'll finish last in every single one of Anderson's seasons. But there's a foundation in place already and still some hooks in the water to reel in some bigger fish.

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2019, 07:12:23 PM »
3 coaches ago we had a guy who couldn't recruit or coach at a high level. The last 2 coaches were able to recruit but couldn't coach worth a damn. Personally, I'm ready for a guy that identifies players he likes and plans on developing them to play the roles he needs them to play. Guys that can both recruit and coach at a high level aren't coming to St. John's.

I have no clue how good Posh or Cole or Moore or whoever are gonna be. Maybe we'll finish last in every single one of Anderson's seasons. But there's a foundation in place already and still some hooks in the water to reel in some bigger fish.

2 star recruiting foundation

goredmen

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2019, 07:17:51 PM »
2 star recruiting foundation

True, but it's still early and there can be some top 100 guys on the horizon. A 2 star big that was a jr or sr would have made a huge difference last year. Same with the 2015 season.

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2019, 10:34:16 PM »
I recall Lavin couldn’t qualify 3 recruits from his first class and never got Pelle

Lavin had his shortcomings but I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Also you take risks on bigs. There aren't many that can be game changers so you chase ones that can be. We hit on Pelle and Rico Gathers but unfortunately both didn't work. Missed on Kyle Anderson and was right there. That's one I wish we could have got because we would have won big with him.

There are so many other things the school could have done to help during Lavin tenure but failed to do. Lavin needed to help himself a bit more too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2019, 12:10:31 PM »
Now an SJU commit

SJUFAN

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2019, 12:27:05 PM »
Staff is doing a tremendous job. He’s building a solid, tough, defensive minded team.

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2019, 01:02:09 PM »
It's a fair point, but we didn't "hit" on Pelle or Gathers, or the criminal Matt A recruited.  Missing on each of those kids resulted in us having gaping holes in our roster.  In the latter's case, a solid 2/3 star big that developed into a contributor as an upperclassmen would have made last year's squad ions better.  And there are plenty of kids that fit that mold; just look at all the mid-majors each year that have them.  Or look across the river at Mike Nzei, Sandro, hell even Romaro Gill who would have helped last year's team immensely.  I'm all for taking a shot at a risk where the upside warrants, but a bird-in-the-hand is sometimes better long term and if you are going to take that shot you better have legit options in the fold if it doesn't work.

Also you take risks on bigs. There aren't many that can be game changers so you chase ones that can be. We hit on Pelle and Rico Gathers but unfortunately both didn't work. Missed on Kyle Anderson and was right there. That's one I wish we could have got because we would have won big with him.

There are so many other things the school could have done to help during Lavin tenure but failed to do. Lavin needed to help himself a bit more too.

sju89tr

Re: Isaih Moore - Pearl River CC- 6’10 PF - ST. JOHN'S (Verbal Commit)
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2019, 10:59:17 AM »
There are a lot of developmental players on this roster already. Earlington, Roberts, Caraher were our end of the bench development guys already and we've added Champagnie, McGriff, Sears, and Dunn.

Over 75% of our roster would be borderline MAAC players. This isn't being negative just factual that this is the worst roster in the conference. I think bench coaching will improve and help make up some talent gaps but we need to do better recruiting.

I agree with Dave. I would add that we can't have like 6 developmental guys on the bench.

pmg911

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2019, 01:13:53 PM »

Missed on Kyle Anderson and was right there. That's one I wish we could have got because we would have won big with him.

I agree on wishing Lavin was still here.

Disagree on the "miss" as it relates to KA - if you call being unwilling to pay his Father's asking price "missing" then you are right.

Poison

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2019, 01:31:18 PM »

Sometimes a player starts out as a two star recruit, and because of hard work and a quality staff, he plays like a 4 star recruit - who doesn’t leave to play in the NBDL, or return home to some pathetic Italian pro league.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2019, 01:34:11 PM »
I agree with Dave. I would add that we can't have like 6 developmental guys on the bench.

I agree as well that we can’t or shouldn’t have 6 developmental players on our bench.

What I question is how anyone knows what work these kids are putting in now and have put in since Mullin’s optional practice policy was put in place when he took over as coach.

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2019, 07:00:40 PM »
Staff is doing a tremendous job. He’s building a solid, tough, defensive minded team.

Explain to me what is the tremendous job? Filling up scholarships quickly? Have you ever watched these kids play one game?  Posh isn't a plus defensive player.
Have yet to watch video on Cole being a strong defender. Wusu will probably be the best defender of the bunch but only had offers from Bryant and UMass. Moore is 200 lbs.  Tremendous job. Yes, If we were in the MAAC.

SJUFAN

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2019, 10:15:40 PM »
Explain to me what is the tremendous job? Filling up scholarships quickly? Have you ever watched these kids play one game?  Posh isn't a plus defensive player.
Have yet to watch video on Cole being a strong defender. Wusu will probably be the best defender of the bunch but only had offers from Bryant and UMass. Moore is 200 lbs.  Tremendous job. Yes, If we were in the MAAC.

Do you know how stupid you sound? What qualifies you to make an assessment of the players they brought in? This is an experienced staff. He’s been on a coaching staff that won a national championship. You don’t think he knows what level of talent he needs to be successful? All the players he signed for the 2020 class are players he believes he can win with, not to fill a roster spot and that’s good enough for me.