Isaih Moore - Pearl River CC- 6’10 PF - ST. JOHN'S (Signed)

• 131 replies
Re: Isaih Moore - Pearl River CC- 6’10 PF - ST. JOHN'S (Verbal Commit)
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2019, 11:36:10 PM »
I agree on wishing Lavin was still here.

Disagree on the "miss" as it relates to KA - if you call being unwilling to pay his Father's asking price "missing" then you are right.

Things got very dicey in that recruitment. All that aside. KA the player man... that would have been fun.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2019, 11:53:15 PM »
Sometimes a player starts out as a two star recruit, and because of hard work and a quality staff, he plays like a 4 star recruit - who doesn’t leave to play in the NBDL, or return home to some pathetic Italian pro league.

I think you are looking through a bad barrel.

Like it or not we are St. John's. When you haven't won consistently and you are trying to make up gaps you roll the dice for higher end talent. We've been on short end a lot for multitude of reasons but at the same time you need talent to win. This is the Big East where basically 7 of 10 teams are reloading EVERY year with more incoming talent and in the hunt for NCAA tournament. The wait for 2 stars to become seniors to make a run is a losing strategy. This isn't the MAAC or the American.

If you want to get 1-4 spots on your team for some development guys that's fine. Villanova took Colin Gillespie who was not even top 200 but the rest of their recruits were 4+ and they got 4-5 stars the following year with Saddiq Bey being their worst guy and he was high end 3 star.

DePaul the worst team in this conference for a long time recruiting class this year looks dynamite compared to ours.

https://247sports.com/college/depaul/Season/2019-Basketball/Commits/

Point this stuff out isn't being negative or bitter it's simply true. I want things to be better and it can be. We've been close to achieving that under both Lavin and Mullin but the wheels fell off and the school hit restart button. It's a comedy of errors.

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2019, 11:58:32 PM »
I agree as well that we can’t or shouldn’t have 6 developmental players on our bench.

What I question is how anyone knows what work these kids are putting in now and have put in since Mullin’s optional practice policy was put in place when he took over as coach.

I truly believe Mike Anderson is a good coach and think he will squeeze more juice out of some guys than past predecessors could have but that simply isn't enough to win in the Big East and at St. John's. You need better talent.

We can sprinkle in some diamonds in the rough here and there but the balance needs to shift and it seems that we are getting bodies in the door as quickly as we can which means we are going to war with them or pushing them out as quickly as we brought them in which will set us back once again.

« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2019, 12:27:58 AM »
I truly believe Mike Anderson is a good coach and think he will squeeze more juice out of some guys than past predecessors could have but that simply isn't enough to win in the Big East and at St. John's. You need better talent.

We can sprinkle in some diamonds in the rough here and there but the balance needs to shift and it seems that we are getting bodies in the door as quickly as we can which means we are going to war with them or pushing them out as quickly as we brought them in which will set us back once again.

How about letting the guy coach and see what he can do before you declare he can't win with the talent he's getting.  CMA knows how to find kids that fit his system and he'll get the most of them, he's done it everywhere he's been.  All those stars and everything look nice when looking at it on paper, but you have to make it work and one thing CMA knows how to do is make his rosters work.

Here's a couple of CMA's recent starting lineups and where the guys were ranked out of high school.

2016-2017 Starting Lineup
Jaylen Barford - Unranked/2-star out of high school (JUCO)
Daryl Macon - Unranked/2-star out of high school (JUCO)
Dusty Hannahs - Unranked/2-star out of high school (7 PPG TTU Transfer)
Dustin Thomas - 3-Star on Rivals, Unranked on other sites, (4 PPG Transfer)
Moses Kingsley - 4-Star on all ranking sites

Finished 26-10, Made it to SEC Championship Game, 8-Seed in NCAA Tournament.

2017-2018 Starting Lineup
Jaylen Barford - Unranked/2-star out of high school (JUCO)
Daryl Macon - Unranked/2-star out of high school (JUCO)
Anton Beard - 4-star ESPN, 3-Star 247/Rivals out of high school
Dustin Thomas - 3 Star on Rivals, Unranked on other sites, (4 PPG CU Transfer)
Daniel Gafford - 4-star on all ranking sites

Finished 23-12 Record, Made it to SEC Semi-Finals, 7-Seed in NCAA Tournament

And I can go back as far as his Mizzou elite 8 team which will look pretty similar as well.  I'm going to take it, that if can do that in the Big 12 and SEC that are stacked with hall of fame coaches and known cheaters, he'll manage against the powerhouses of Creighton, DePaul, Providence, and Butler.   :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:56:55 AM by MakingPlays »

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2019, 12:57:19 AM »
Do you know how stupid you sound? What qualifies you to make an assessment of the players they brought in? This is an experienced staff. He’s been on a coaching staff that won a national championship. You don’t think he knows what level of talent he needs to be successful? All the players he signed for the 2020 class are players he believes he can win with, not to fill a roster spot and that’s good enough for me.
[/quot
Do you know how stupid you sound? What qualifies you to make an assessment of the players they brought in? This is an experienced staff. He’s been on a coaching staff that won a national championship. You don’t think he knows what level of talent he needs to be successful? All the players he signed for the 2020 class are players he believes he can win with, not to fill a roster spot and that’s good enough for me.

You are saying it is a tremendous job and they are building a dfensive team without ever seeing one of these kids. You don't have to be an NCAA coach to see kids play. Step out of your house. Head to an aau tourney. Head uptown.... Then say it's a tremendous job. It isn't.  Now you back pedal by giving me his credentials. Please stop drinking kool aid.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2019, 01:40:35 AM »

Dave, you sound a like a jealous ex-girlfriend. Anderson hasn't coached one game at SJU yet, and you're already saying he won't win here. How about giving him a chance?

As MakingPlays said he's had many successful seasons with similar talent in the SEC, and Big 12. He's 169 games over .500 in his coaching career. I think I trust him a bit more than Lavin, who still hasn't landed another coaching gig since getting canned, and clueless Mullin.

Would you find it easier to root for Anderson if he coached on his knees, put on 50 lbs, grew a goatee, and wore a Nebraska jumpsuit? 

SJUFAN

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2019, 02:26:17 AM »
You are saying it is a tremendous job and they are building a dfensive team without ever seeing one of these kids. You don't have to be an NCAA coach to see kids play. Step out of your house. Head to an aau tourney. Head uptown.... Then say it's a tremendous job. It isn't.  Now you back pedal by giving me his credentials. Please stop drinking kool aid.

Ummmmm credentials matter! He’s won in the Big 12, he’s won in the SEC while using similar recruiting philosophy, it’s arrogance to think it wouldnt work in the Big East. I trust his ability to assess players ability more so than scouting services. How many 4 star players looked like trash in college? We’ve had a couple recently. You know what most of these services don’t measure? What’s between your ears, what’s pumping in your chest, work ethic, coach-ability. He has a proven track record of success and until proven otherwise I’m not going to criticize his lack of “higher rated recruits” when I haven’t seen them play a game for him yet.

SJUFAN

« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2019, 02:34:36 AM »
I think Moore could be a better player under Anderson for us than Clark was for Mullin.

« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2019, 05:35:47 AM »
Ummmmm credentials matter! He’s won in the Big 12, he’s won in the SEC while using similar recruiting philosophy, it’s arrogance to think it wouldnt work in the Big East. I trust his ability to assess players ability more so than scouting services. How many 4 star players looked like trash in college? We’ve had a couple recently. You know what most of these services don’t measure? What’s between your ears, what’s pumping in your chest, work ethic, coach-ability. He has a proven track record of success and until proven otherwise I’m not going to criticize his lack of “higher rated recruits” when I haven’t seen them play a game for him yet.

But yet you reap praise all over his recruiting and accused people of being "clowns" because they were concerned with the level of players being brought in. How does that make sense?

« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2019, 05:37:36 AM »
I think Moore could be a better player under Anderson for us than Clark was for Mullin.

You draw this conclusion based off of what? How is this a comparison? They are two totally different players.

Poison

« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2019, 07:34:20 AM »
You draw this conclusion based off of what? How is this a comparison? They are two totally different players.

They are, but Clark struggled here mostly because of Mullin. He was the softest big man in the conference, yet Mullin had no choice but to start him.

Moore will probably do better because his head coach isn’t figuring all of this out for the first time.

Foad

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2019, 09:32:25 AM »
How about letting the guy coach and see what he can do before you declare he can't win with the talent he's getting.  CMA knows how to find kids that fit his system and he'll get the most of them, he's done it everywhere he's been.  All those stars and everything look nice when looking at it on paper, but you have to make it work and one thing CMA knows how to do is make his rosters work.

[…]

And I can go back as far as his Mizzou elite 8 team which will look pretty similar as well.  I'm going to take it, that if can do that in the Big 12 and SEC that are stacked with hall of fame coaches and known cheaters, he'll manage against the powerhouses of Creighton, DePaul, Providence, and Butler.

When Steve Lavin was hired at SJU a UCLA fan called CRGreen started posting here. Like you re Arkansas he had an encyclopedic knowledge of UCLA basketball. (Unlike you he's now dead.) CR's take was that the entire UCLA fan base was wrong about Lavin being an incompetent buffoon who they were happy to see go and that in fact he was a master tactician and psychologist, and every time Lavin did something confounding like starting a different five guys every game or starting a walk on on a nationally televised Sunday afternoon game or taking a time out while his team was in the midst of a 12-0 run CR would explain the deep strategic thinking behind these seemingly boneheaded moves. It turned out that CR had no idea what he was talking about, because Lavin sucked and was mentally ill to boot.

Except for the fact that you're breathing you remind me of him. Your take is that the vocal majority of the Arkansas fan base - who complained about Anderson's recruiting and personnel management; about the shortcomings in his system; about his meager results (three tournaments in eight years at Arkansas is exactly how many tournaments the two guys SJU fired made over about the same time frame) - is wrong and you are right. And maybe you are and maybe Arkansas fans are delusional. We'll see soon enough whether the MAAC level talent Anderson is collecting are going to be able to compete in what's usually a pretty good league. My own take is that Anderson is recruiting about well as Norm Roberts so he better be a really good coach because the players Norm recruited mostly got their heads kicked in.

All of which is prelude to a question. A fellow called Arkansas Fight who covers AUBB for SBT said in an interview with the venerable Norman Rose this:

Q || What are the criticisms of Anderson’s teams?

The biggest criticism is that they can be out-schemed.

It’s pretty evident that his teams do very little to tailor a strategy to their opponent. They just go out and play ball. That puts a pretty hard cap on how many games they can win, especially at a school where expectations are high and every opponent takes them seriously.

[…]

Another criticism of all fast-paced teams is that they can play really ugly when forced into a half-court game. Anderson’s teams gradually got better at half-court offense, but St. John’s fans should be prepared for a lot of games that are downright ugly and slow for 2/3rds of the game, but just a few exciting fast breaks are enough to carry the day. The highlight reel will look great, but it will feel like a bad comedy movie that puts ALL of its jokes in the trailer.

As an expert on all things Anderson could you explain why that critique is inaccurate? Thanks in advance.

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2019, 10:09:10 AM »
Dave, you sound a like a jealous ex-girlfriend. Anderson hasn't coached one game at SJU yet, and you're already saying he won't win here. How about giving him a chance?

As MakingPlays said he's had many successful seasons with similar talent in the SEC, and Big 12. He's 169 games over .500 in his coaching career. I think I trust him a bit more than Lavin, who still hasn't landed another coaching gig since getting canned, and clueless Mullin.

Would you find it easier to root for Anderson if he coached on his knees, put on 50 lbs, grew a goatee, and wore a Nebraska jumpsuit? 

I think you need to reread what I wrote.

SJUFAN

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2019, 11:13:37 AM »
But yet you reap praise all over his recruiting and accused people of being "clowns" because they were concerned with the level of players being brought in. How does that make sense?

Your basing the ”level of player” off of recruiting services rankings and who else is recruiting them. Many of them don’t even see the kids they are rating or only at a couple of events. Me singing his praises is only taking the other side, I really don’t have an opinion until I actually see the product on the floor. Let the results speak for themselves.

We’ve been to one post season tournament in the previous 4 years. We can’t even make the f’n NIT consistently. I rather complete and win consistently with 2/3 star recruits than get our teeth kicked in with 4/3 star recruits. It’s because our 2 star recruits will be better players than the KY’s and Keita’s of the world. Lets support the staff and allow the results to warrant criticism.

SJUFAN

« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2019, 12:32:49 PM »
When Steve Lavin was hired at SJU a UCLA fan called CRGreen started posting here. Like you re Arkansas he had an encyclopedic knowledge of UCLA basketball. (Unlike you he's now dead.) CR's take was that the entire UCLA fan base was wrong about Lavin being an incompetent buffoon who they were happy to see go and that in fact he was a master tactician and psychologist, and every time Lavin did something confounding like starting a different five guys every game or starting a walk on on a nationally televised Sunday afternoon game or taking a time out while his team was in the midst of a 12-0 run CR would explain the deep strategic thinking behind these seemingly boneheaded moves. It turned out that CR had no idea what he was talking about, because Lavin sucked and was mentally ill to boot.

Except for the fact that you're breathing you remind me of him. Your take is that the vocal majority of the Arkansas fan base - who complained about Anderson's recruiting and personnel management; about the shortcomings in his system; about his meager results (three tournaments in eight years at Arkansas is exactly how many tournaments the two guys SJU fired made over about the same time frame) - is wrong and you are right. And maybe you are and maybe Arkansas fans are delusional. We'll see soon enough whether the MAAC level talent Anderson is collecting are going to be able to compete in what's usually a pretty good league. My own take is that Anderson is recruiting about well as Norm Roberts so he better be a really good coach because the players Norm recruited mostly got their heads kicked in.

All of which is prelude to a question. A fellow called Arkansas Fight who covers AUBB for SBT said in an interview with the venerable Norman Rose this:

Q || What are the criticisms of Anderson’s teams?

The biggest criticism is that they can be out-schemed.

It’s pretty evident that his teams do very little to tailor a strategy to their opponent. They just go out and play ball. That puts a pretty hard cap on how many games they can win, especially at a school where expectations are high and every opponent takes them seriously.

[…]

Another criticism of all fast-paced teams is that they can play really ugly when forced into a half-court game. Anderson’s teams gradually got better at half-court offense, but St. John’s fans should be prepared for a lot of games that are downright ugly and slow for 2/3rds of the game, but just a few exciting fast breaks are enough to carry the day. The highlight reel will look great, but it will feel like a bad comedy movie that puts ALL of its jokes in the trailer.

As an expert on all things Anderson could you explain why that critique is inaccurate? Thanks in advance.

I think the criticism of Anderson’s style is fair. I also believe establishing expectations is also warranted. Just like Lavin, Anderson has his limitations, but as a SJU fan I was ok with that because I’m not expecting to win a national championship. I want us to be relevant. I believe Lavin, and now Anderson can achieve that. Our short term goal should be to focus on being relevant and building consistency. I believe in time, Anderson’s style of building relationships in the local basketball community will translate into getting higher caliber players. If that isn’t the case we will still do better than what we were looking at from the previous regime.

« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2019, 01:15:02 PM »
Your basing the ”level of player” off of recruiting services rankings and who else is recruiting them. Many of them don’t even see the kids they are rating or only at a couple of events. Me singing his praises is only taking the other side, I really don’t have an opinion until I actually see the product on the floor. Let the results speak for themselves.

We’ve been to one post season tournament in the previous 4 years. We can’t even make the f’n NIT consistently. I rather complete and win consistently with 2/3 star recruits than get our teeth kicked in with 4/3 star recruits. It’s because our 2 star recruits will be better players than the KY’s and Keita’s of the world. Lets support the staff and allow the results to warrant criticism.

Generally speaking if 351 division 1 college staff's and handful of scouts who have been evaluating talent for years share similar opinions on a player more times than not they aren't wrong. Yes there are players who defy odds but greater percentage you can tier players HM, MM, LM (High, mid, low). These coaches and scouts see these players more than once and while some are obviously more diligent than others there is pretty good sample size of data.

Personally I have access to synergy which is another tool that coaches use which gives me access, breakdown, and advanced stats on these players. So even if I wasn't able to see them in April and July I can go back and watch full games.

Additionally having an opinion or sharing a concern is not antagonizing or "not supporting" new staff. Lets be clear everyone here wants to see St. John's do well and roots for them. Everything doesn't have to be roses all the time with every move/decision. We're here to discuss and debate and share information and thoughts.

SJUFAN

« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2019, 01:57:14 PM »
Generally speaking if 351 division 1 college staff's and handful of scouts who have been evaluating talent for years share similar opinions on a player more times than not they aren't wrong. Yes there are players who defy odds but greater percentage you can tier players HM, MM, LM (High, mid, low). These coaches and scouts see these players more than once and while some are obviously more diligent than others there is pretty good sample size of data.

Personally I have access to synergy which is another tool that coaches use which gives me access, breakdown, and advanced stats on these players. So even if I wasn't able to see them in April and July I can go back and watch full games.

Additionally having an opinion or sharing a concern is not antagonizing or "not supporting" new staff. Lets be clear everyone here wants to see St. John's do well and roots for them. Everything doesn't have to be roses all the time with every move/decision. We're here to discuss and debate and share information and thoughts.

Ok but Anderson has implemented this recruiting approach with success and I’m defining success as never having a losing season. So generally speaking, no reason to believe it can’t be successful now.

My issue isn’t that you question the talent level being brought in, it’s the notion that he can’t win in the BE with the level of talent he’s bringing in. History shows us that he will win, regardless of the rankings of the recruits he bring in. Two separate issues.

Marillac

« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2019, 04:51:49 PM »
WTF is happening? These are nowhere near the best players available. Holy shit.

Marillac

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2019, 04:58:51 PM »
Ok but Anderson has implemented this recruiting approach with success and I’m defining success as never having a losing season. So generally speaking, no reason to believe it can’t be successful now.

My issue isn’t that you question the talent level being brought in, it’s the notion that he can’t win in the BE with the level of talent he’s bringing in. History shows us that he will win, regardless of the rankings of the recruits he bring in. Two separate issues.

Anderson was just fired 6 months ago because of recruiting — in an area he had decades of experience recruiting — so let’s not act like he’s above criticism.

Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt that: (1) these kids fit his system, (2) he has a good eye for talent, and (3) he is a very good coach.

There is still no way in hell these are ANYWHERE near the best kids he can land.

He basically had one NBA player or more while at Arkansas and this model still didn’t work.

« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2019, 09:42:28 PM »
Anderson was just fired 6 months ago because of recruiting — in an area he had decades of experience recruiting — so let’s not act like he’s above criticism.

Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt that: (1) these kids fit his system, (2) he has a good eye for talent, and (3) he is a very good coach.

There is still no way in hell these are ANYWHERE near the best kids he can land.

He basically had one NBA player or more while at Arkansas and this model still didn’t work.

That is factually incorrect.  Anderson last 2 classes were ranked top 25 per ESPN.

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/classrankings?class=2017
http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/classrankings?class=2018

Anderson was fired cause he didn't make it far enough in the tournament... Per the AD.

And let you guys know something about Arkansas, every coach is going to get fired at Arkansas, it's a job you take knowing you are going to eventually be fired.  We have no pro teams, and no other big schools in the entire state, everything is Razorbacks here, and because of that it's unrealistic expectations.  For example, Nolan Richardson is in every basketball Hall of Fame, won a National Championship, has been to multiple final fours, created a brand of basketball, and they are about to name the court after him and the moment he stopped making final fours, people in Arkansas turned on him, they fired and ran him out of town.  He accomplishes what he did at Arkansas at most other schools and he gets a lifetime contract.

It's fair to criticize but at least have your facts straight if you're going to do so.