St Johns vs Wagner - 11/30

• 55 replies

Poison

Re: St Johns vs Wagner - 11/30
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2019, 11:49:18 PM »
Good point. I thought he had 3 years left but I think you're right only 2.

Considering we'll have Steere, Roberts, Champagnie, and Moore next year I think we are plenty good on depth. We can keep him but no harm in losing him either.

I'd also be concerned about our scholarship balance being too unbalanced to expire in 2022. I'm hopeful they're start to address this.

Something to consider: Champagnie is versatile. Could see him playing the 3 next year at times. I thought his ceiling was Donald Emanuel, senior year. Now, if he works, I could see him having an impact like Ron Artest in a couple of years. What a find he’s been.

TONYD3

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2019, 07:58:44 AM »
Dunn is a PG. This is St. John’s where every PG that isn’t amazing gets destroyed.

With that in mind, Rutherford sucks by any standard. He’s awful. Most of our fans are stupid and don’t understand the level of competition. “He played great today. He needs more minutes.” No,  Rutherford played for Wagner last year and has three years at or slightly above this level of competition. He should do well against these schleps as a senior. Do it against Nova and we’ll talk.
Some idiot on here last week said he watched game film of last years team and his conclusion was they played excellent half court defense. Same fool has repeatedly said our previous coach was a hard worker. Those are 2 of the dumbest posts I can recall.
Rutherford played well yesterday. He has been ok to competent in most of the games he has played. Will he play well vs Nova? Maybe not. Hopefully he can play back up minutes and not lose the game for us. As a senior he should be able to do that.

Johnny23

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2019, 08:09:40 AM »

Agree.  Only man who consistently sets screens and loves to crash the boards.   His production per minute is the best on the team.

Absolutely. A very productive player in many areas.

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2019, 10:46:12 AM »
Something to consider: Champagnie is versatile. Could see him playing the 3 next year at times. I thought his ceiling was Donald Emanuel, senior year. Now, if he works, I could see him having an impact like Ron Artest in a couple of years. What a find he’s been.

While I appreciate your optimism I'm not there yet. I'd like to see him face some formable competition. I still have concerns on speed of play.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2019, 10:49:11 AM »
Well the NBA won’t be the option some of us worried about in the preseason. So either he takes a shitload of credits and becomes a grad transfer or he plays internationally.

As much as I love LJ I don't think NBA was ever on his radar. Too slow. He'll make a ton of money overseas especially with his dual citizenship.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2019, 11:15:49 AM »
While I appreciate your optimism I'm not there yet. I'd like to see him face some formable competition. I still have concerns on speed of play.

I think you mean formidable, but yes, I agree. He’s still a project. I’m not expecting more than 7 and 5 out of him in conference play. I’m just fantasizing about him being an elite rebounder, and being able to take stiffs off the dribble, like Ron did. That doesn’t mean I think he’s gonna be Ron Artest. I’m not insane, but I’m two years, but I could see Champagnie being a SF/PF depending on who we are playing. He has a good jumper as a freshman. He finishes in a variety of ways - that is why he can play against high majors. Over time, he be very hard to guard if he continues to put the work in.

Artest played center in the carrier dome in the 98-99 season because surprise, Etan Thomas was destroying Albert Richardson. Against Duke, he brought the ball up. No coach can teach the incredible instincts that Artest came to St.John’s with, but Champagnie can already do many of the things we’d hope a player will learn in their first couple of seasons.

It’s amazing that he was so overlooked, but as NYC basketball fans, we all know how many players go unnoticed, and then end up at some low level D1 program like Norfolk State. But when the ball goes up, they’re a BE player.

« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2019, 12:32:27 PM »
Dunn is a PG. This is St. John’s where every PG that isn’t amazing gets destroyed.

With that in mind, Rutherford sucks by any standard. He’s awful. Most of our fans are stupid and don’t understand the level of competition. “He played great today. He needs more minutes.” No,  Rutherford played for Wagner last year and has three years at or slightly above this level of competition. He should do well against these schleps as a senior. Do it against Nova and we’ll talk.
If Rutherford can make atleast 33% on his 3 point shot he needs to stay in the lineup, he is a way better distributor than Dunn, Dunn only creates his own shot, he is not a good distributor, he needs to come in and give a spark to the offense when they start slow and then he’ll end up in the lineup at the end of the game with LJ and Heron when we need buckets.

Poison

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2019, 01:54:17 PM »

It’s ironic that you’re calling others stupid when you are dead wrong.

You’ve identified yourself as a neophyte if you think Dunn is a better point guard than Rutherford. First of all, Dunn isn’t a point guard. We all hoped that he would be, but that is not his game, and it’s not going to be.

The kid is not a point guard. He doesn’t even know how to bring the ball up without getting trapped at mid court.

Rutherford is clearly flawed, but he’s it. There’s no one else.

wpc77

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2019, 02:30:35 PM »
"Rutherford is clearly flawed, but he’s it. There’s no one else."

Eugene Lawrence is not walking thru that door! Maurice Brown is not walking thru that door!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:05:54 PM by wpc77 »

Poison

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2019, 03:20:19 PM »

Eugene Lawrence is not walking thru that door! Maurice Brown is not walking thru that door!

Senior year Mo Brown did very little, but he would be our starting point guard, and in our watered down BE, he’d be David Cain.

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2019, 04:38:37 PM »

LOL

« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2019, 08:45:01 PM »

You’ve identified yourself as a neophyte if you think Dunn is a better point guard than Rutherford. First of all, Dunn isn’t a point guard. We all hoped that he would be, but that is not his game, and it’s not going to be.

The kid is not a point guard. He doesn’t even know how to bring the ball up without getting trapped at mid court.

I fully expect dunn to be starting by the next game.  Rutherfords backcourt violation against wagner was pathetic.  Anderson yanked him after that and he never saw the court again.

That was the last we will see of rutherford as a starting pg.  He is awful.

« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2019, 09:08:14 PM »
I fully expect dunn to be starting by the next game.  Rutherfords backcourt violation against wagner was pathetic.  Anderson yanked him after that and he never saw the court again.

I think awful is a bit much.  He may be one of the least capable guards we’ve have in terms of scoring. He can’t shoot, can’t finish all the well with his left and not at all with his right. But he also passes it pretty well, handles it alright, helps on the boards and can play a little defense. Dunn is without question the better player but there is some benefit to Rutherford getting more minutes at the 1.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2019, 09:32:52 PM »
I think awful is a bit much.  He may be one of the least capable guards we’ve have in terms of scoring. He can’t shoot, can’t finish all the well with his left and not at all with his right. But he also passes it pretty well, handles it alright, helps on the boards and can play a little defense. Dunn is without question the better player but there is some benefit to Rutherford getting more minutes at the 1.
Well put. If Dunn wants more minutes he has to play better. Maybe he earns more minutes as the season goes on.

Poison

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2019, 10:28:22 PM »

Fair enough. Let’s revisit this after our next game. I fully expect Dunn to stay right where is, and belongs... on the bench.

FWIW, Dunn has had a range of issues bringing the ball up. They both need serious work there.

Marillac

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2019, 09:32:47 PM »

You just keep raising the bar on stupidity don’t you? My statement “Dunn is a PG” was clearly not meant as a summary of his skill. He plays the position of PG was the obvious point. Anyone who plays the PG position SJU gets destroyed by fans if they aren’t incredible.

I’ve said since day 1 that Dunn is closer to a SF than a PG .