Seton Hall 2/23

• 56 replies

TONYD3

Re: Seton Hall 2/23
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2020, 09:03:52 PM »
If I were offended by you slandering my wife this would have been a sick burn. But I'm not. Good try though, because she's a lovely woman, both physically and spiritually. Personally I'd never drag your family into this sort of petty dispute, but then I'm not a rhetorically feeble cunt.
All class, this guy is. Imagine coming on a fan site. Calling people names. Having a handle like his,( last time I spelled it out, my post was removed) rooting for the other team. Nothing but class.
BUTT HURT

goredmen

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2020, 09:26:25 PM »
Tell me what those issues are that can’t be overcome with some offensive players who can shoot, dribble, and pass. Defensively we still need to find a big or two. The 2021 recruiting class will be key. If we can add a couple of studs we’ll be in good shape. I like the guards their bringing in. Rebuilding is a marathon not a sprint.

I’m tired of losing, but I can’t ignore the roster.

I already did this in another thread.

We're getting beat in a variety of ways. Physical teams like Xavier are bullying us and getting what they want at the rim. Maybe that will change if a true big comes along but right now there's nobody like that in the fold for next year. Then there's games like Villanova and Creighton, elite 3 point shooting teams, that got WIDE open looks all game against us. All you have to do to score against a Mike Anderson team is take care of the ball. That won't change no matter who he brings in.

There's little to no half court offensive strategy. The team moves the ball more than in years past but theres little purpose to it. Most of the time we end up with a contested tough shot. Better players will make a higher percentage of those shots than the guys we have now but the ceiling on how good an offense can be is limited when there's no purposeful movement.

TONYD3

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2020, 09:49:38 PM »
I already did this in another thread.

We're getting beat in a variety of ways. Physical teams like Xavier are bullying us and getting what they want at the rim. Maybe that will change if a true big comes along but right now there's nobody like that in the fold for next year. Then there's games like Villanova and Creighton, elite 3 point shooting teams, that got WIDE open looks all game against us. All you have to do to score against a Mike Anderson team is take care of the ball. That won't change no matter who he brings in.

There's little to no half court offensive strategy. The team moves the ball more than in years past but theres little purpose to it. Most of the time we end up with a contested tough shot. Better players will make a higher percentage of those shots than the guys we have now but the ceiling on how good an offense can be is limited when there's no purposeful movement.
What kind of offense would you run with this team?

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2020, 10:05:01 PM »
I missed today but outside of some nice sequences, there seems to be little rhythm with this offense and less intentionality. A lot of passing and hoping someone is open, resulting in contested shots later in the clock. I honestly think they should be encouraged to shoot earlier in the clock, take a good shot not pass around hoping to find a great one.

goredmen

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2020, 10:58:39 PM »
What kind of offense would you run with this team?

Anything other than standing around and chucking contested jump shots or blindly driving down the lane and throwing up a wild shot would probably work better than what they're doing now.

Yes, the players aren't very good but nothing highlights that more than a stagnant half-court offense.

TONYD3

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2020, 11:55:15 PM »
Anything other than standing around and chucking contested jump shots or blindly driving down the lane and throwing up a wild shot would probably work better than what they're doing now.

Yes, the players aren't very good but nothing highlights that more than a stagnant half-court offense.
I respect your opinion. But that’s not what’s been happening. At least lately. Plenty of movement. Teams are overplaying LJ crazy. Teams are sagging off our non shooters. And all of them are are non shooters.
If you can stomach it. Watch a game again. Their are shots to be had. If someone will step up and hit one

Johnny23

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2020, 06:34:38 AM »
I respect your opinion. But that’s not what’s been happening. At least lately. Plenty of movement. Teams are overplaying LJ crazy. Teams are sagging off our non shooters. And all of them are are non shooters.
If you can stomach it. Watch a game again. Their are shots to be had. If someone will step up and hit one

There were definitely plenty of open looks to be had yesterday. Some of these posts make me wonder if some here actually watch the games or just make shit up to fit their narrative. Anyone who watched the game yesterday could not in good faith blame that on the coaching staff. When you go 9-37 from the field at one point and miss a ton of chippies that isn't because of a stagnant offensive philosophy.

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2020, 10:50:48 AM »
There was one possession yesterday where Rutherford or Penny (not sure who it was since it happened to both yesterday) air-balled a wide open jump shot, Greg Williams got a rebound and air-balled a lay up and then Roberts missed the layup off that rebound. Plenty of other times guys were wide open and coming no where close to the rim....But we have to blame the coaches for that! The Jury is still out and the blown leads are concerning but its tough to compete with the players we have. Hope we can win or 2 of remaining games and at least get to Thursday and be competitive this year of BET.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:52:58 AM by talkbigeast »

goredmen

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2020, 11:10:40 AM »
There were definitely plenty of open looks to be had yesterday. Some of these posts make me wonder if some here actually watch the games or just make shit up to fit their narrative. Anyone who watched the game yesterday could not in good faith blame that on the coaching staff. When you go 9-37 from the field at one point and miss a ton of chippies that isn't because of a stagnant offensive philosophy.

There's no narrative that I'm trying to post to. I want Anderson to succeed and I don't necessarily think he won't.

Yes there's open shots to be had because teams will beg guys like Dunn, Champagnie and Earlington to shoot and yes that inhibits the rest of the offense to some degree. However, there are a handful of teams in D1 that can't shoot consistently but still find ways to score.

If you look at Anderson's history, his team's offensive numbers haven't exactly been great. Only twice in his career has he had a top 25 offense and it wasn't in the top 50 in 5 of his 8 years at Arkansas. So there's reason to believe it's more than just the players that are responsible for the poor offense this season.

Johnny23

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2020, 11:39:33 AM »
There's no narrative that I'm trying to post to. I want Anderson to succeed and I don't necessarily think he won't.

Yes there's open shots to be had because teams will beg guys like Dunn, Champagnie and Earlington to shoot and yes that inhibits the rest of the offense to some degree. However, there are a handful of teams in D1 that can't shoot consistently but still find ways to score.

If you look at Anderson's history, his team's offensive numbers haven't exactly been great. Only twice in his career has he had a top 25 offense and it wasn't in the top 50 in 5 of his 8 years at Arkansas. So there's reason to believe it's more than just the players that are responsible for the poor offense this season.

Fair enough. I think you will be able to include Anderson's teams here over the next few years among those that will be able to find ways to manufacture points without necessarily being a very good offensive team. It may be ugly but with better talent I think it will yield better results. And I do like the talent coming in next year with the returning pieces regardless of what some may say about their rankings. We just need another big body to bang and clean up down low. That may not come until Year 3 but that's ok.

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2020, 04:26:28 PM »
It was men against boys yesterday. Quite a mismatch.

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2020, 06:08:38 PM »
All class, this guy is. Imagine coming on a fan site. Calling people names. Having a handle like his,( last time I spelled it out, my post was removed) rooting for the other team. Nothing but class.
BUTT HURT

Atleast this board don't have killer mods, where even if you don't get personal you get banned. I never once got personal with anyone there. Doesn't matter, I'll just play the game, they ban me and I'll just reregister, it's all a game.

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2020, 06:13:48 PM »
There was one possession yesterday where Rutherford or Penny (not sure who it was since it happened to both yesterday) air-balled a wide open jump shot, Greg Williams got a rebound and air-balled a lay up and then Roberts missed the layup off that rebound. Plenty of other times guys were wide open and coming no where close to the rim....But we have to blame the coaches for that! The Jury is still out and the blown leads are concerning but its tough to compete with the players we have. Hope we can win or 2 of remaining games and at least get to Thursday and be competitive this year of BET.

Yeah, I read where Greg shot a lay up over the basket, wtf does that happen?

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2020, 08:02:13 PM »
Atleast this board don't have killer mods, where even if you don't get personal you get banned. I never once got personal with anyone there. Doesn't matter, I'll just play the game, they ban me and I'll just reregister, it's all a game.

LJSA   pretty sure there is something called a vpn.

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2020, 06:16:59 PM »
Oh hello stupid. Thanks for writing another post about me despite the fact that I couldn't pick you out of a line up. For the record the first SJ game I saw live was 35 or so years and a couple of weeks ago, I was just a tad then, Feb 13, 1975 at MSG ( I looked it up). I remember it like it was yesterday. SJ lost by one when Frankie Alagia banked one off the back rim at the buzzer after Beaver kept them in it most of the game and it was only that close because Adrian Dantley traveled twice in the last couple minutes. Dick Young was in my car on the LIRR on the way home, completely faced, and nearly got in a fist fight with a ND booster but only because neither of them were real fans either and both had had their 15 minutes. It was a fitting introduction to nearly a half century of basketball futility and I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Sorry in all that time I've never been real Johnnie a fan, like you. Were I I'd have faith in Coach Home Run, because no doubt he's really going to turn this shit around, just you wait and see. Because we're due.

So we are about the same age, and I can also remember my dad taking me to alumni hall to watch games a couple of times a year in the late 70s...you are definitely knowledgeable about college hoops, but negative nonetheless...I questioned your allegiance to our program and bam you insult me by name calling....obviously we both know that at our age we have been called much worse, but how about making some positive posts, even if down memory lane...might do you good....

TONYD3

« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2020, 06:20:26 PM »
So we are about the same age, and I can also remember my dad taking me to alumni hall to watch games a couple of times a year in the late 70s...you are definitely knowledgeable about college hoops, but negative nonetheless...I questioned your allegiance to our program and bam you insult me by name calling....obviously we both know that at our age we have been called much worse, but how about making some positive posts, even if down memory lane...might do you good....
Foad stands for fxck off and die. Be careful he is a real bad ass. He used to have a serial killer in his profile picture

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2020, 09:25:46 PM »
Foad stands for fxck off and die. Be careful he is a real bad ass. He used to have a serial killer in his profile picture

Oh thanks for the heads up.....I’ll be sure to look over my shoulder...