Early guess at starting 5
« on: July 05, 2021, 09:22:23 AM »
Posh, Champ

That’s all I got.

Re: Early guess at starting 5
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 01:04:12 PM »
Posh, Champ

That’s all I got.
2 on 5 ain't gonna get it done so I'll add C Soriano PF Wheeler SG Smith to PG Posh SF Champ.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 04:04:21 PM »
2 on 5 ain't gonna get it done so I'll add C Soriano PF Wheeler SG Smith to PG Posh SF Champ.

Ha, yes. Wheeler, while we’re hearing good things, is listed as a SF. We know Champagnie wants to play the three. So, is Wheeler a backup swingman? IDK.

Here’s my guess;

Soriano - C
Champagnie - PF
Coburn - SF
Wusu - SG
Posh - PG

The freshman PFs may move into a starting role where the job is rebounding and defense. I picked Coburn over Smith because he played in a tougher conference but I haven’t seen that much of either player.

I’m curious to see what kind of conditioning we’ll see from the team now that there’s a new person in charge. At the end of the day, the person has to want it.

For all we know, Mathis could improve and end up an All BE player. Stranger things have happened.

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 04:11:18 PM »
With Champs input I think he’ll start at the 3. I don’t think he’ll play the majority of his minutes there.

Posh
Wusu
Champ
Wheeler
Soriano
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 04:19:52 PM »
With Champs input I think he’ll start at the 3. I don’t think he’ll play the majority of his minutes there.

Posh
Wusu
Champ
Wheeler
Soriano
Our only difference is I have Smith starting over Wusu mainly because I see Wusu as a high energy guy off the bench in a 6th man role. Sometimes starters come out a bit sluggish to start a game or a half and Wusu can come in with his hustle and physical style to get the team going but I would be on board with him starting (as if it matters if I'm good with it).

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 04:25:22 PM »
Our only difference is I have Smith starting over Wusu mainly because I see Wusu as a high energy guy off the bench in a 6th man role. Sometimes starters come out a bit sluggish to start a game or a half and Wusu can come in with his hustle and physical style to get the team going but I would be on board with him starting (as if it matters if I'm good with it).

Right now, the guard spot between posh and champ, seems like the most competitive. My preference is wusu, but could be him Smith, Mathis, or even Coburn. I would like to bring our shooters (smith, Coburn) off the bench to help when the game seems to slow down a bit.

goredmen

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 04:42:02 PM »
Starting 5 is wildly overrated. The more important conversation is who is going to be on the floor coming out of the under 4 media timeout in a close game? I think after Posh and Julian it's going to be situational and who has the hot hand. The great thing is that this team has the depth to trot out a number of solid lineups based on the opponent and situation.

If we need a stop we can run out Posh, Mathis, Wusu in the backcourt. Need shooters then we go with Smith and Coburn on the floor at the same time. Other team going small and/or has a solid stretch 5 then we can match by playing Julian at the 4 and Wheeler at the 5. Playing a team like WVU and need to go to big then we go Julian-Wheeler-Soriano.

We haven't had this much depth and flexibility in maybe forever.

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 04:50:15 PM »
Starting 5 is wildly overrated. The more important conversation is who is going to be on the floor coming out of the under 4 media timeout in a close game? I think after Posh and Julian it's going to be situational and who has the hot hand. The great thing is that this team has the depth to trot out a number of solid lineups based on the opponent and situation.

If we need a stop we can run out Posh, Mathis, Wusu in the backcourt. Need shooters then we go with Smith and Coburn on the floor at the same time. Other team going small and/or has a solid stretch 5 then we can match by playing Julian at the 4 and Wheeler at the 5. Playing a team like WVU and need to go to big then we go Julian-Wheeler-Soriano.

We haven't had this much depth and flexibility in maybe forever.

Since Sheed’s frosh year, and agree with your post.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 10:37:23 PM »
Alexander
Wusu
Champagnie
Wheeler
Soriano

With Smith, Mathis, Pinzon spelling the two guard spots

Coburn spellling Julians spot

Stanley spelling Wheelers spot

Nyiwe spelling Soriano’s spot…we are damn deep boys.

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2021, 06:48:32 AM »
I think Wusu takes a big leap this year too.

I dont know much about the newcomers but ny guess is alot of mixing and matching depending on the matchup. Don't forget Wusu playing big minutes down the stretch of games last year. With his physicality he could play multiple positions too, which could allow a Posh-Pinzon backcourt at times too.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2021, 06:15:46 PM »
Lotta guys penciling Wheeler in at the 4. He’s listed as a 3. Has anyone seen him lay the 4?

goredmen

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2021, 08:24:05 PM »
Lotta guys penciling Wheeler in at the 4. He’s listed as a 3. Has anyone seen him lay the 4?

Listed as a 3 by who? He's anywhere between a stretch 4 and small ball 5. He's not a 3. There's not many 6-9 sub 30% 3 point shooting 3s this day and age

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 11:23:30 PM »
Since Sheed’s frosh year, and agree with your post.

Since 2013-2014, where we were even deeper with quality talent at all spots.  How Lavin didn't make the tournament with that group, and perhaps even win a game or two, is mind boggling.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2021, 11:26:36 PM »
Since 2013-2014, where we were even deeper with quality talent at all spots.  How Lavin didn't make the tournament with that group, and perhaps even win a game or two, is mind boggling.
Yes Lavs was quite the magician.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 07:34:04 PM »
After the dust settles:

Posh
Coburn
Wusu
Champ
Wheeler

Johnny23

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2021, 10:59:26 PM »
Posh
Wusu
Champagnie
Wheeler
Soriano

Poison

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2021, 06:51:18 PM »
Posh
Mathis
Champ
Wheeler
Sori

I think an imaginative case can be made for Montez Mathis to start at the two. Stef Smith and Tariq Coburn as well.

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2021, 07:46:04 PM »
Posh
Wasu
Coburn / Smith
Champagnie
Wheeler

Can see a small ball lineup closing out games. Put in Smith for Wheeler. Team is taking pretty good  shape. Transfer rule and NIL couldn't have come at a better time for us.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2021, 10:36:35 AM »
Posh
Wasu
Coburn / Smith
Champagnie
Wheeler

Can see a small ball lineup closing out games. Put in Smith for Wheeler. Team is taking pretty good  shape. Transfer rule and NIL couldn't have come at a better time for us.

You have an opinion on Mathis?

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2021, 07:51:04 AM »
You have an opinion on Mathis?

Good rotational guard. Will help us apply pressure and keep tempo
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle