St.John’s @ Indiana, 9:00 EST

• 38 replies

Marillac

Re: St.John’s @ Indiana, 9:00 EST
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2021, 11:46:08 PM »
Was Coburn hurt? I don’t think I saw him play at all in the second half.  Smith and Ponzon played their arses off…but Coburn is our best shooter.

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2021, 11:49:06 PM »
Horrible last set. Stymie Anderson with offensive game plan a joke in first half as well. That’s your best draw up. The team has grit but, the first half tonight reminded me of the beating Maryland gave us in Garden Norms second year. The second half different story JC and Step Smith did what they had to do. Pinzon length was big. He’s going be a player for us. I am tired moral victory shit. You want show people your for real you win this game. Seton Hall gets it done not us!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 11:49:26 PM by newyorker2586 »

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2021, 12:08:05 AM »
Disappointing last play but overall Pinzon is going to contribute more than I thought. He and Stanley seem to be the best athletes on the team.

Smith also seems to be a better overall scorer than I anticipated, was expecting a jump shooter but he looks pretty good on the drive as well.

goredmen

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2021, 12:14:52 AM »
This isn't the season for moral victories especially with the lack of chances to get quality wins in the non-conference schedule. If we lose to Kansas then our best OOC win will probably be Colgate. Can't realistically expect to go much better than 12-8 in a super competitive Big East. That won't have us much better than 8/9 seed which isn't good enough this year imo.

If this happened last year, I'd be disappointed but could tolerate the moral victorying going on since we weren't expected to do much last year anyway. This team this year needs to win these games. Can't come out slow and dig ourselves a hole like that against any decent teams again. These need to be wins.

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2021, 12:27:50 AM »
That won't have us much better than 8/9 seed which isn't good enough this year imo.
Did you log onto the wrong message board?  This is a St. John's university fansite.

Johnny23

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 06:52:13 AM »
You knew this game was going right down to the last possession once the Johnnies got their sea legs under them in the 2nd half.

They were just playing catch up the entire game and time ran out. Indiana responded right away every time SJU got close or tied.

Last play was ugly. The ball was inbounded with over 8 seconds left. They acted like there was only 4 seconds left. Too much panic there.  Stef Smith was a stud last night.

Pinzon is going to be a good one for us. Good handle and quickness for a 6'5, 6'6 frosh guard.

From the looks of it, I would say Indiana is a top 5/6 team in the B10 which means they are an NCAA team. No shame in this loss. We were right there.

Poison

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2021, 11:34:47 AM »
Horrible last set. Stymie Anderson with offensive game plan a joke in first half as well. That’s your best draw up. The team has grit but, the first half tonight reminded me of the beating Maryland gave us in Garden Norms second year. The second half different story JC and Step Smith did what they had to do. Pinzon length was big. He’s going be a player for us. I am tired moral victory shit. You want show people your for real you win this game. Seton Hall gets it done not us!

I was at that Maryland, and our first half was nothing at all like that one. We were a flagrant foul and a couple of threes away from being in the game at the half.

DJ Strawberry took Avery Patterson to school. Know how many points we had at the half? It wasn’t 27. It wasn’t half that.

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2021, 12:19:06 PM »
I was at that Maryland, and our first half was nothing at all like that one. We were a flagrant foul and a couple of threes away from being in the game at the half.

DJ Strawberry took Avery Patterson to school. Know how many points we had at the half? It wasn’t 27. It wasn’t half that.

This was our only chance to get a quality win in the OOC. Indiana literally had one guy. They aren’t a very good team. We also hit a crazy amount of shots in the second half. We had advantages everywhere but center and big advantages as PG and PF.

That last play was just bizarre. Posh had a massive quickness advantage over all of their guards and he is literally impossible to coral in that situation. Plus, St. John’s was in the double bonus against an inexperienced team.

Who the he hell calls for a true freshman in his third game to take the inbounds? It was clearly a set play because Posh didn’t even move. And what was the expectation at the end? To give Champagnie a handoff in the corner with 3 seconds left?! We were down two! And our guards were getting to the basket all half.

jr49

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2021, 12:57:13 PM »
Are the bigs gona score?

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2021, 01:32:57 PM »
Are the bigs gona score?

Not in a meaningful way, no.

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2021, 02:24:08 PM »
This was our only chance to get a quality win in the OOC. Indiana literally had one guy. They aren’t a very good team. We also hit a crazy amount of shots in the second half. We had advantages everywhere but center and big advantages as PG and PF.

That last play was just bizarre. Posh had a massive quickness advantage over all of their guards and he is literally impossible to coral in that situation. Plus, St. John’s was in the double bonus against an inexperienced team.

Who the he hell calls for a true freshman in his third game to take the inbounds? It was clearly a set play because Posh didn’t even move. And what was the expectation at the end? To give Champagnie a handoff in the corner with 3 seconds left?! We were down two! And our guards were getting to the basket all half.

Look it was a bad look so have at it. Not gonna defend CMA’s play calling late in games. Just remember the play was drawn up before we were only down 2. Probably thought the 3 was best chance to either go for tie if down 3 or for the win on the road.

I have to rewatch the play. Are we sure getting it to Pinzon was the first option? I have to be honest, I don’t love the ball in Posh’s hands when everyone knows he’s about to look to do something with it. You can take away his jump shot too easily and him at the rim in traffic rarely ends up in free throws.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 02:25:28 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2021, 02:58:41 PM »
Look it was a bad look so have at it. Not gonna defend CMA’s play calling late in games. Just remember the play was drawn up before we were only down 2. Probably thought the 3 was best chance to either go for tie if down 3 or for the win on the road.

I have to rewatch the play. Are we sure getting it to Pinzon was the first option? I have to be honest, I don’t love the ball in Posh’s hands when everyone knows he’s about to look to do something with it. You can take away his jump shot too easily and him at the rim in traffic rarely ends up in free throws.

Indiana called a timeout after the second and final ft attempt was made at 8.4 seconds. Anderson drew up a play down two with 8.4 to go.  The play was clearly to Ponzon as he was cutting hard and Posh barely moved.

Posh’s defender wasn’t even guarding him that closely and Indiana only had a guard back in the paint on their  other end which was a big mistake.

Pinzon played great and he showed he doesn’t really get rattled, but he’s a true freshman in his third game and played 11 minutes.

There is nobody in college basketball that has the quickness to deny posh that inbounds. Is he a little reckless? Yeah. But I’m fine living or dying with him all year in that spot. After he beats his man—which he would have getting picked up full court—someone would have had to leave their man to stop him.

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2021, 03:14:20 PM »
Indiana called a timeout after the second and final ft attempt was made at 8.4 seconds. Anderson drew up a play down two with 8.4 to go.  The play was clearly to Ponzon as he was cutting hard and Posh barely moved.

Posh’s defender wasn’t even guarding him that closely and Indiana only had a guard back in the paint on their  other end which was a big mistake.

Pinzon played great and he showed he doesn’t really get rattled, but he’s a true freshman in his third game and played 11 minutes.

There is nobody in college basketball that has the quickness to deny posh that inbounds. Is he a little reckless? Yeah. But I’m fine living or dying with him all year in that spot. After he beats his man—which he would have getting picked up full court—someone would have had to leave their man to stop him.

There was not a timeout after the free throw. Just some awkward substitutions.

Last TO was with 11 seconds left when we were down 1. Before we fouled.

I just watched it. Posh didn’t work hard enough to get open. Didn’t look like he wanted the ball honestly.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2021, 03:55:56 PM »
There was not a timeout after the free throw. Just some awkward substitutions.

Last TO was with 11 seconds left when we were down 1. Before we fouled.

I just watched it. Posh didn’t work hard enough to get open. Didn’t look like he wanted the ball honestly.

I just rewatched it also…you’re right on the time out. The announcer mistakenly called it a timeout for Indiana (I was running around scaring my poor dog at the time), but it was just slow substitutions.

Regardless of the timeout, Posh has to get that inbounds. There shouldn’t even be a contingency. Nobody can deny him for 5 seconds…he’s a Tasmanian Devil. And if they pickup full court, he’s going to beat his man every single time which forces the defense to make a decision. I’ll take that every time in the double bonus.

Indiana only had a guard back in the paint defending Stef Smith. Their Bigs were playing tight man to man nowhere near the basket—which is a a big mistake IMO.

A good coach would call two plays there for the very different situations. And you’d think we’d have 2-3 options for down a bucket for both full-court and half-court inbounds. Those situations come up several times a season at the end of both halves and with short shot clocks.

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2021, 05:04:18 PM »
Are the bigs gona score?

I don’t think they’ll be as bad as last night again. Doubt we see a guy as explosive as Jackson in any more games. I like Stanley as a small ball 5, gonna be interested in what Wheelers role becomes.

Poison

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2021, 07:26:40 AM »
I don’t think they’ll be as bad as last night again. Doubt we see a guy as explosive as Jackson in any more games. I like Stanley as a small ball 5, gonna be interested in what Wheelers role becomes.

Wheeler was awful on Wednesday night. Stop shooting threes, and cut the shit.

Johnny23

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2021, 10:43:36 AM »
A few things to clarify for those saying that Indiana is only a 1 man team. They are much more than that. That 1 man just happens to be a first team All American caliber talent. That kid is a surefire lottery pick. Should be a good PF in the league.

The other combo forward, Race Thompson was a beast too. The transfer shooter, their highly rated frosh Bates and Geronimo were all solid too.

They are a Big Dance team this year if they stay healthy. Woodson is a good coach.

So no shame at all in this loss. Just didn't wake up until the 2nd half. Stings.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 03:16:35 PM by Johnny23 »

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2021, 06:35:15 PM »
A few things to clarify for those saying that Indiana is only a 1 man team. They are much more than that. That 1 man just happens to be a first team All American caliber talent. That kid is a surefire lottery pick. Should be a good PF in the league.

The other combo forward, Race Thompson was a beast too. The transfer shooter, their highly rated frosh Bates and Geronimo were all solid too.

They are a Big Dance team this year if they stay healthy. Woodson is a good coach.

So no shame at all in this loss. Just didn't wake up until the 2nd half. Stings.

He is a very good player, but he’s nowhere near a “surefire lottery pick.” There’s levels to this, fella, he might squeak into the first round.

Obviously, the one-man team was not meant literally. Indiana was 12-15 last year and 7–12 in the Big Ten with Jackson-Davis and Race Thompson as a soph and jr., respectively. Let’s keep that in perspective. They may end up getting an 8 or 9 seed in tournament if some things break in their way.

This was our only reasonable shot to near a quality opponent in the OOC portion of the schedule. Kansas will beat us by 20 in all likelihood.

There is no shame in this loss, but there are also no moral victories when your best player and three key seniors won’t return next season and you have a bizarrely weak OOC schedule.

Johnny23

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2021, 07:26:36 AM »
He is a very good player, but he’s nowhere near a “surefire lottery pick.” There’s levels to this, fella, he might squeak into the first round.

Obviously, the one-man team was not meant literally. Indiana was 12-15 last year and 7–12 in the Big Ten with Jackson-Davis and Race Thompson as a soph and jr., respectively. Let’s keep that in perspective. They may end up getting an 8 or 9 seed in tournament if some things break in their way.

This was our only reasonable shot to near a quality opponent in the OOC portion of the schedule. Kansas will beat us by 20 in all likelihood.

There is no shame in this loss, but there are also no moral victories when your best player and three key seniors won’t return next season and you have a bizarrely weak OOC schedule.

It sucks but the BE looks to be stock up this year and the 6-2 mark against the B10 in the Gavitt Games backs that up. If these early season results are any indication then the BE gets 6 teams in this year, book it. Who knows with Kansas, maybe we shock them. I think 11 regular season wins in the BE gets us in and that's definitely doable with this year's squad.