22-23 Championship Season

• 84 replies

Marillac

Re: 22-23 Championship Season
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2022, 01:59:59 AM »
Wheeler is not a Big. Soriano shouldn’t be shooting threes. Wings like Wheeler shoot threes.

“Wings like Wheeler”? You’re a troll and a half. Wheeler bounces the ball to his chin. He looked awful literally every time he had to dribble more than 3x in row and it usually resulted in a terrible decision.

What makes someone a wing to you? Was 6’11 250 Kevin Pittsnogle a wing because he shot 40% on 7 threes a game?

What wings did Wheeler defend? He never defended the 2 or 3 unless it was a breakdown or a switch.  He played the 4 and 5 his entire career.

The defining aspect of being a wing is defending the position — which no reasonable person would suggest Wheeler can do. The next defining quality would be handling the ball well. I’d add shooting ability and passing ability as lesser aspects. Wheeler was a decent shooter this year unlike the first three years of his career. That doesn’t make him a wing. If it does, then Donald
Emanuel was a wing too, because their #s are almost identical.

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2022, 09:27:15 AM »
“Wings like Wheeler”? You’re a troll and a half. Wheeler bounces the ball to his chin. He looked awful literally every time he had to dribble more than 3x in row and it usually resulted in a terrible decision.

What makes someone a wing to you? Was 6’11 250 Kevin Pittsnogle a wing because he shot 40% on 7 threes a game?

What wings did Wheeler defend? He never defended the 2 or 3 unless it was a breakdown or a switch.  He played the 4 and 5 his entire career.

The defining aspect of being a wing is defending the position — which no reasonable person would suggest Wheeler can do. The next defining quality would be handling the ball well. I’d add shooting ability and passing ability as lesser aspects. Wheeler was a decent shooter this year unlike the first three years of his career. That doesn’t make him a wing. If it does, then Donald

Do you think you can be a 4 and a wing at the same time?
I know that’s not what you prefer. But it’s common place now.

Wouldn’t you say the usual traits for bigs would be posting up? Did we see a post up all year?

I don’t think Wheeler is a natural wing. But it’s certainly not as preposterous as you’re making it out to be. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2022, 11:33:51 AM »

You just keep digging a bigger hole for yourself. I get it- you watch games and see the players shoot and dribble and you think you know basketball when really you don't know what you are watching.
Let's see from just a random search where Wheeler is considered a Wing:

Zach B, NY Post article: Forward Aaron Wheeler has opted to bypass his final year of eligibility and go pro, his father Bill told The Post.
The 6-foot-9 wing averaged 10 points, 4.7 rebounds and shot 38.5 percent from 3-point range.

His 247 sports description: Aaron Wheeler, a 6-foot-7 wing forward who suits up for St. Andrews School (RI) is one most versatile prospects in the class of 2017.

Purdue's forum site after he committed there: Purdue has landed its second verbal commitment for 2017, as East Coast wing Aaron Wheeler has committed to the Boilermakers following a weekend official visit,

« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2022, 02:29:39 PM »
You just keep digging a bigger hole for yourself. I get it- you watch games and see the players shoot and dribble and you think you know basketball when really you don't know what you are watching.

Zach B, NY Post article: Forward Aaron Wheeler has opted to bypass his final year of eligibility and go pro, his father Bill told The Post.
The 6-foot-9 wing averaged 10 points, 4.7 rebounds and shot 38.5 percent from 3-point range.

His 247 sports description: Aaron Wheeler, a 6-foot-7 wing forward who suits up for St. Andrews School (RI) is one most versatile prospects in the class of 2017.

Purdue's forum site after he committed there: Purdue has landed its second verbal commitment for 2017, as East Coast wing Aaron Wheeler has committed to the Boilermakers following a weekend official visit,

I hate to say it but I agree with you on this.  Wheeler is the furthest thing to a 5 and even a power 4.  He's built for the amall forward position more than Champagnie who can't handle the ball or shoot off the dribble.
Who you defend is not a factor in the NBA because there is little of it played. If it were you would have scores in the 70's and 80's and not 110.

Marillac

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2022, 11:33:08 PM »

Let me get this straight…Aaron Wheeler never played a minute of SF in his entire four-year college career, but Jared from Subway and some no-name from 247 sports labeling him a wing makes it so?

I am afraid you are too stupid to converse with. There is literally nothing that can be gained by interactive with such a simpleton. And for that I’m out.

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2022, 11:40:50 PM »
I hate to say it but I agree with you on this.  Wheeler is the furthest thing to a 5 and even a power 4.  He's built for the amall forward position more than Champagnie who can't handle the ball or shoot off the dribble.
Who you defend is not a factor in the NBA because there is little of it played. If it were you would have scores in the 70's and 80's and not 110.

You have to earn moving down the position list. I know guys who are 5’6 who is classify as centers because of their lack of skill. Mathis doesn’t get to be a PG because he’s the size of an average NBA PG. He doesn’t have the skill.

Wheeler doesn’t have the skills to play SF so it doesn’t matter if he’s the size of an NBA SF. Dele Coker is size of some NBA SFs too. And he has the same chance to play SF in the NBA as Wheeler. Zero.

Maurice Harkless was 6’8 1/2 too, but he is a SF due to his skills. Anthony Glover was 6’4 in sandals and he wasn’t a SF.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 11:41:40 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2022, 07:35:59 AM »
Let me get this straight…Aaron Wheeler never played a minute of SF in his entire four-year college career, but Jared from Subway and some no-name from 247 sports labeling him a wing makes it so?

I am afraid you are too stupid to converse with. There is literally nothing that can be gained by interactive with such a simpleton. And for that I’m out.

Everyone here sees that you have no idea what you are talking about. Just move on to the next topic instead of continuing to look foolish. Read up on how basketball is played today, that may help you.

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2022, 10:36:19 AM »
Mike is a old school coach that will not thrive in this new age of college basketball at the major level. The bottom line.

Marillac

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2022, 02:10:48 AM »

I am afraid you are too stupid to converse with. There is literally nothing that can be gained by interacting with such a simpleton. And for that I’m out.

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2022, 03:55:54 AM »
I'm going to give Mike and his staff props if they get Curbelo this week and Brandon Gardner reclassifies to 2022 and commits. Recruiting needed to get much better and this is a good step.

Is it enough though? Will this buy MA and Cragg time if they don't make the tourney next year?

« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2022, 02:06:16 PM »
Curbelo committed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2022, 02:07:30 PM by Mparty7441 »

« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2022, 02:41:17 PM »
Alright. Let’s talk some St. John’s basketball.

Pretty good case to be made we will have the best backcourt in the BE next year. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2022, 06:05:28 PM »
Alright. Let’s talk some St. John’s basketball.

Pretty good case to be made we will have the best backcourt in the BE next year. 

It's a good get. This team definitely needed another ball handler. It all depends on which Curbelo we're getting and if they can both co-exist. They're definitely the quickest backcourt. Neither is an outside shooter which will cause issues in the halfcourt.
I'm guessing Posh will play off the ball more and work the post a bunch. Another issue with the current roster is the lack of athletes that can run with these guys in the open court.  Regardless, it's good to upgrade the talent and the press defense will benefit. Let's see how they fill out the rest of the roster.

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2022, 06:36:31 PM »
It's a good get. This team definitely needed another ball handler. It all depends on which Curbelo we're getting and if they can both co-exist. They're definitely the quickest backcourt. Neither is an outside shooter which will cause issues in the halfcourt.
I'm guessing Posh will play off the ball more and work the post a bunch. Another issue with the current roster is the lack of athletes that can run with these guys in the open court.  Regardless, it's good to upgrade the talent and the press defense will benefit. Let's see how they fill out the rest of the roster.
Agree with everything you said except posting up Posh. A 6'3" and strong Mark Jackson used to post up and even did so in the NBA and even at his height he was an an anomaly. Not sure I've ever seen a 5'10" PG posting up at the D1 level.

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2022, 07:58:41 PM »
Agree with everything you said except posting up Posh. A 6'3" and strong Mark Jackson used to post up and even did so in the NBA and even at his height he was an an anomaly. Not sure I've ever seen a 5'10" PG posting up at the D1 level.

He was pretty good posting his defenders on the one on one isolation. I'm not talking about going in there against the trees.  Gotta use his power and shiftyness around the basket.

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2022, 08:59:54 PM »
You don’t think Nwyie and Stanley can run?

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2022, 04:13:48 AM »
You don’t think Nwyie and Stanley can run?

Is there enough of a sample size? Stanley has some potential but he's very raw and is that really who you want to depend on? Nwiye doesnt really have good hands and he isn't the starter. So no there aren't any proven open court wings on this team that can excel on the fastbreak.

« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2022, 08:36:55 PM »
Is there enough of a sample size? Stanley has some potential but he's very raw and is that really who you want to depend on? Nwiye doesnt really have good hands and he isn't the starter. So no there aren't any proven open court wings on this team that can excel on the fastbreak.

Esiah Nyiwe will be a break out player next year if he learns to stay out of foul trouble. He is a good passer and long range shooter. Needs to improve foul shooting. 
Omar Stanley is a gifted athlete who, if he develops a shot, will remind some of David Russell. When Soriano is not in the game this team can play very very fast basketball with Curbelo and Posh.

« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2022, 11:01:38 PM »
Someone mentioned this before but Mathis needs to become senior year Sir Dom. That and Wusu needs to settle into being a role player.

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2022, 09:35:53 AM »

Did you watch games this past season? Yes, they played enough to tell they can run and are good athletes. Will they be good enough basketball players? We will see. But to say they can’t run isn’t correct.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 09:36:10 AM by Proud Alumn »