Lavs

• 7 replies

Foad

Lavs
« on: March 03, 2023, 11:35:57 AM »
Kudos to former SJ head coach Steve Lavin. In his first year after his triumphant return to the sidelines at U San Diego Lavin finished ninth of ten teams in the mighty WCC at 4-12 (including 12 losses in his last 15 games) and 11-20 overall. Things might have been worse had not Mike Anderson cast-off Marcellus Earlington averaged 17 and 7 for the Toreros. Congratulations Lavs!

Re: Lavs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 02:17:59 PM »
The program would have been in way better shape now if Lavin was still on the sidelines. They did not extend him prior to that last season, so obviously that "lame-duck" status hurt his recruiting at the end and may have even cost us that last class with Briscoe etc. He loved St. John's and the players loved playing for him. With our team back then, yes would get some head scratching losses but at the same time you also would also think we had a shot against the blue-chip programs whether that be in games or recruiting. Now the program is an absolute joke- we are not contending seriously for top players and our program is not getting the buzz it once had.

The Freshman situation- if it was not for the corrupt NCAA we would have had D'Angelo, Phil, Jakarr, Moe, Dom and Norvel on the team at the same time. A #3 recruiting class in the nation. How far are we from that stratosphere now? How far are we from the talent on the team that nearly denied Coach K his 1K? The NCAA tournament was actually legitimately on the table most years and not outside the range of possibility. Now there is nothing. No hope. Just losers. And out of these losers, half of them will transfer anyway.

At San Diego- this is Lav's first year there at a mid-major program. The talent pool and in-roads is not there yet. He will build it up while we are banking on an Anderson firing and a  Pitino or Mack miracle hire. This nonsense could have all been avoided.

Foad

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 04:03:44 PM »
The program would have been in way better shape now if Lavin was still on the sidelines. They did not extend him prior to that last season, so obviously that "lame-duck" status hurt his recruiting at the end and may have even cost us that last class with Briscoe etc. He loved St. John's and the players loved playing for him. With our team back then, yes would get some head scratching losses but at the same time you also would also think we had a shot against the blue-chip programs whether that be in games or recruiting. Now the program is an absolute joke- we are not contending seriously for top players and our program is not getting the buzz it once had.

The Freshman situation- if it was not for the corrupt NCAA we would have had D'Angelo, Phil, Jakarr, Moe, Dom and Norvel on the team at the same time. A #3 recruiting class in the nation. How far are we from that stratosphere now? How far are we from the talent on the team that nearly denied Coach K his 1K? The NCAA tournament was actually legitimately on the table most years and not outside the range of possibility. Now there is nothing. No hope. Just losers. And out of these losers, half of them will transfer anyway.

At San Diego- this is Lav's first year there at a mid-major program. The talent pool and in-roads is not there yet. He will build it up while we are banking on an Anderson firing and a  Pitino or Mack miracle hire. This nonsense could have all been avoided.

I get that you liked Lavin because he bought you pizza or whatever, but he was a horrible in game coach, after his first class a lazy recruiter and a narcissistic whiny little bitch besides. Waa my prostrate. Waa my daddy died. Waa waa waa. He was everything the UCLA fans who rejoiced when he was run out of town said he was. You can say if only this had happened and that hadn't he would have been better than his record said he was. You can say that about every coach since Louie. (Except Mahoney, he was just dumb.) If only Fran hadn't waved his junk in the players faces. If only Jarhead hadn't been quite so arrogant. If only Norm hadn't been quite so Norm-esque. If only if only. And you can make whatever excuses you want for him at USD, the fact is that he inherited a 15 win team and turned them into an 11 win team.

Anyway, the problem isn't who got fired, it's that they got fired at all. You can't fire the coach every five years and expect the program to be successful. It's just moronic. Lou retired in 1992, 30 years. Since then SJU has had eight count them eight coaches. And then everyone's surprised when they stink. It's like being shocked that Liz Taylor's 7th marriage failed. Who coulda thunk it.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 06:01:11 AM »
Kudos to former SJ head coach Steve Lavin. In his first year after his triumphant return to the sidelines at U San Diego Lavin finished ninth of ten teams in the mighty WCC at 4-12 (including 12 losses in his last 15 games) and 11-20 overall. Things might have been worse had not Mike Anderson cast-off Marcellus Earlington averaged 17 and 7 for the Toreros. Congratulations Lavs!

Wanna talk about how players performed under a new coach? Ok.

Cedric Jackson
Tyshawn Edmonson
Quincy Roberts
Dwight Hardy
Malik Boothe
Paris Horne
Justin Burrell
Sean Evans
Justin Brownlee

Foad

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2023, 01:16:25 PM »
Wanna talk about how players performed under a new coach? Ok.

Cedric Jackson
Tyshawn Edmonson
Quincy Roberts
Dwight Hardy
Malik Boothe
Paris Horne
Justin Burrell
Sean Evans
Justin Brownlee

This is a stupifying non sequitur even by your Olympian standards.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2023, 01:23:38 PM »
This is a stupifying non sequitur even by your Olympian standards.

Just pointing out your bias against Lavs with my off the charts memory.

Foad

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 04:17:09 PM »
Just pointing out your bias against Lavs with my off the charts memory.

Okay, although I point out my bias against Lavin every time I mention Lavin. Because I am absolutely biased against Lavin. (Although as time goes by he becomes less odious to me.) Just as I'm biased in favor of Mullins. At this point it's bottom to top

Jarvis
Anderson
Lavin
Mahoney
Norm
Fran
Mullins
Clark

PS Please tell your off the charts memory that several of these players never played for Lavs-  Edmundson, Jackson and Roberts - hence my confusion

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2023, 02:12:07 PM »
How about Keith Urgo? If it was good enough for Nova you would think it would be good enough for us.