Mutual Interest for Pitino to be Coach

• 9 replies
Mutual Interest for Pitino to be Coach
« on: March 10, 2023, 11:46:38 AM »
The NY Post reported in 2 recent articles that there is mutual interest between Pitino and St. John's. My only concern is- they need to get rid of Anderson quickly or Georgetown will get Pitino. Not a time to play around. But it would be so St. John's to lose Pitino to Georgetown. We have to be cautiously optimistic with our history.

From Andrew Crane:
https://nypost.com/2023/03/10/mutual-interest-between-st-johns-rick-pitino-georgetown-looms/

From Mike Vaccaro:
https://nypost.com/2023/03/09/rick-pitino-is-the-wake-up-call-st-johns-needs/

Re: Mutual Interest for Pitino to be Coach
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 02:23:00 PM »
The only real mutual interest is Pitino saying he's not coming back to Iona...and we need him.  Realism lives in another dimension..like the Twilight Zone.

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 03:56:11 PM »
Well first step of this is done.

Poison

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 04:24:52 PM »
Pitino is the home run hire.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 09:46:19 AM »
Pitino is the home run hire.

He’s the only hire.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2023, 11:35:52 AM »
He’s the only hire.

I have to believe that they made the 10 million dollar decision to let Anderson go based on the fact that they really believe they can land Pitino. I am guessing back channel work has been done. But Georgetown does present a problem. I don't think Texas Tech is realistic threat. He is a NY and Big East guy. 

If for some reason he does not come, the answer is NOT an up and comer that is unproven. Really should go for a Chris Mack or maybe Mike Brey. The program needs to get better immediately with a name. We have to be in the conversation again for top recruits and a good coaching staff.

Foad

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2023, 04:26:41 PM »
I have to believe that they made the 10 million dollar decision to let Anderson go based on the fact that they really believe they can land Pitino. I am guessing back channel work has been done. But Georgetown does present a problem. I don't think Texas Tech is realistic threat. He is a NY and Big East guy. 

If for some reason he does not come, the answer is NOT an up and comer that is unproven. Really should go for a Chris Mack or maybe Mike Brey. The program needs to get better immediately with a name. We have to be in the conversation again for top recruits and a good coaching staff.

Pitino is neither a NYer or a BE guy. He's coached in Greece as long as he coached in NY and the only time he references NY is to say that whatever happened to him he can get through because he survived 9-11. AKA he's a completely horrible corrupt POS. That said, I wouldn't bet against him being the next SJ coach and I'd have to reexamine my relationship with SJ if he were hired, because he's a great coach and SJ will likely be good, so I'd have to root for them to win. Plus I could start blogging again, which is a win for everyone.

If not Pitino, SJ should absolutely hire Steve DeMeo. Gets them out from under the lawsuit, shits on Anderson, and gets them an amazing seven time COTY. Let it be, let it be done.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2023, 08:49:54 PM »
I have to believe that they made the 10 million dollar decision to let Anderson go based on the fact that they really believe they can land Pitino.

Never underestimate the incompetence of St. John’s leadership.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2023, 07:19:56 PM »
I think Rick. P  is just a dream for St. Johns, no doubt he would put the program back in the upper 1/4 of college basketball. I believe however he will have plenty of offers an chose another University. There is no other coaches of his status out there but with the right research an patience a coach that can have St. John's in l the ncaa tourney can be hired, lot of good coaches in the ncaa tourney ready to step up.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 08:12:03 PM »
So 99% of the chatter in the sports world is wrong?