Pitino

• 104 replies

Marillac

Pitino
« on: March 10, 2023, 11:55:52 AM »
I’ll start by saying that I don’t think we will actually land Pitino. It just makes too much sense and “we are St. John’s.” With that written, here is a look at who he could take with him from Iona in the event he does come here:

6’3 165 JR Dannis Jenkins 15.3 Pts, 4.4 Reb, 5.1 Ast

6’9 230 Nelly Junior Joseph 15.2 Pts, 9.5 Reb, 1.1 Ast

6’2 195 SO Walter Clayton 16.7 Pts, 4.1 Reb, 3.2 Ast

He also had a 7’0 285 freshman big man, Silas Sunday who didn’t play much and could be an interesting project.

Pitino has been hammering the transfer portal while at Iona, so it would be reasonable to expect him to bring in some studs from bigger programs as well as guys who have outperformed their recruiting ranks in smaller conferences.

You add some quality transfers, sprinkle in a few of these Iona kids, and retain some combination of Posh, Storr, King, Soriano, Wusu, Stanley  and Brandon Gardner, and that would be a team that could really make some noise with a Hall of Fame coach.

When the dust settles, I think we make a bad choice and get embarrassed yet again. I expect Pitino uses us to leverage other offers.

This was the first season since I was a child that I didn’t watch a single game start to finish, so thinking about the possibility of Pitino is the only excitement I  have felt towards the program in almost two years. 

Re: Pitino
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 02:21:09 PM »
Great analysis re: Pitino. 

Sadly, Pitino has turned us down in the past...  He practically made a career out of it.  I'd love to have him here (potential final four next season).  I don't see it happening.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 04:34:15 PM »
I’d love Pitino. IDK how many Iona guys can play in the BE. Clayton isn’t quick enough, imo. Maybe Joseph.

Foad

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 05:04:19 PM »
I’d love Pitino. IDK how many Iona guys can play in the BE. Clayton isn’t quick enough, imo. Maybe Joseph.

If Pitino came to SJU he wouldn't have to rely on Iona leftovers. He wouldn't have the pick of the portal litter, but he'd have some sloppy Big-5 seconds.

That said I don't see a reason why he'd come to Queens, where coaches come to die. The he's a NY guy nonsense, blah blah blah, he hasn't been a NY guy for 50 years, he's lived since everywhere else. The his legacy nonsense, he already has a legacy. Maybe the prodigal son aspect appeals to him, I'm not a mind reader, but he'd have to fight for the back page of the Post with the Yankees and the Mets and the Jints and Aaron Rogers, because SJU is close to irrelevant.

On the bright side if he does come I could root for SJU to win again as opposed to hoping they lose every game they play where the team plane doesn't fly into a mountain, which'd be nice.

PS Congratulations Norm, you're one win closer to head coaching a team to the final four.

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 05:18:40 PM »
If St John’s is where coaches come to die then it’s the perfect place for Pitino to come too. Coach 5-6 years he’ll be around 76 years of age and ready to retire so his coaching career will be over anyway.

desco80

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 07:02:34 PM »
I don't see why Pitino would come here, he could get more money and have a shorter path to success elsewhere.  But there does seem to be a lot of smoke, so maybe there is something to it beyond SJU fans' hopes and dreams. 

It would certainly make the program more competitive and watchable.   But im guessing we hire another experienced but average high major coach. 

Foad

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2023, 04:06:39 PM »

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 04:38:12 PM »
This rumor has legs   :coolsmiley:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 04:39:37 PM by Celtics11 »

Poison

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2023, 12:37:48 AM »
This rumor has legs   :coolsmiley:

It sure does.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2023, 12:38:43 AM »
I don't see why Pitino would come here, he could get more money and have a shorter path to success elsewhere.  But there does seem to be a lot of smoke, so maybe there is something to it beyond SJU fans' hopes and dreams. 

It would certainly make the program more competitive and watchable.   But im guessing we hire another experienced but average high major coach. 

Can you see why he went to Iona, cause I can’t.

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 11:24:54 AM »
Can you see why he went to Iona, cause I can’t.
limited options

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2023, 12:19:57 PM »

Hey! Just registered to make a comment, but not looking to start drama.

I think you're way off on Clayton. If he goes into the portal, he'd have P5 options significantly better than SJ. I think SJ would (will) be lucky to have him, plus he has 2 more years of eligibility. He's the best guard talent to come through the MAAC, since Pickett (who has been kind of OK for Penn St.).

The recent history on MAAC stars that transfer up has been good. The exceptions being the freshman transfers. Almost all of them that have tried to move "up," have struggled and had to move a 2nd time, but the guys that have spent another year or two developing have got the job done.

But, you're thinking of this from the perspective of building a top-25 team...

NJJ and Jenkins would have no problem succeeding in the BE, but like someone said, Pitino should have more options with top frosh and transfers.

I'd want them like this WCJ>NJJ>Jenkins.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2023, 03:00:44 PM »

I think you're way off on Clayton. If he goes into the portal, he'd have P5 options significantly better than SJ. I think SJ would (will) be lucky to have him, plus he has 2 more years of eligibility. He's the best guard talent to come through the MAAC, since Pickett (who has been kind of OK for Penn St.).

The recent history on MAAC stars that transfer up has been good. The exceptions being the freshman transfers. Almost all of them that have tried to move "up," have struggled and had to move a 2nd time, but the guys that have spent another year or two developing have got the job done.

NJJ and Jenkins would have no problem succeeding in the BE, but like someone said, Pitino should have more options with top frosh and transfers.

I think there is something to be said about having a couple of guys that are familiar with your system and practices, drills, off court expectations, etc. to set a good example.

I believe Fran brought over a recruit or two from Manhattan back when the chasm between SJU and the MAAC was much greater. Chudney Gray maybe? Collin Charles?

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2023, 04:46:34 PM »
I am very surprised our nickel and dime program swallowed 4 years 10 million. AD should be shot for giving that extension to a coach that accomplished less than zero here. Why did he need to be locked in long term? Nobody wanted him.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2023, 05:48:36 PM »

No drama started. You may be right.

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2023, 01:11:44 AM »
If Ricky is truthful, and Repole can back up a dump truck full of money to compete with GTown and whoever, Ricky will be at SJ's with only a 55.min ride back home to Winged Foot.

I think Ricky will change his story as he takes the GTown job and says Congressional is a great country club too, and how River Road is a nicer drive than the Hutch. Then the GTown-Terps rivalry game will get renewed with Pitino and Willard on sidelines, and living in same neighborhood in Potomac.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 01:14:22 AM by bball purist »

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2023, 01:37:52 PM »
The word out there is Georgetown is not interested in Pitino.

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2023, 02:56:03 PM »
The word out there is Georgetown is not interested in Pitino.
Correct. GTown wants Shrewsberry of PSU.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 02:56:46 PM by bball purist »

Foad

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2023, 04:06:23 PM »
Correct. GTown wants Shrewsberry of PSU.

I prefer Halle Berry

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2023, 05:33:47 PM »
I prefer Halle Berry
Berry's Instagram is surely more entertaining. Last week, Berry was on the floor trying to put her pants on. Although Rick was ahead of his time, on the floor trying to put his pants on while drunk, a much harder feat.