Pitino

• 104 replies

Marillac

Re: Pitino
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2023, 09:45:13 AM »
What was so frustrating about the last two years was that the talent level was at or near NCAA tournament caliber IMO.

Anderson’s defensive style is antiquated and he is a below average offensive coach. The core is there for a guy with Pitino’s abilities to make an immediate impact year one if he can bring in 4-5 guys.

Storr can be a stud. King and Stanley  can be solid contributors on a team that reaches the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. Obviously Soriano and Posh are all-league caliber guys. You’d think Gardner would fit in well given his ranking.

This team seriously underperformed.

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2023, 12:55:26 AM »
What was so frustrating about the last two years was that the talent level was at or near NCAA tournament caliber IMO.

Anderson’s defensive style is antiquated and he is a below average offensive coach. The core is there for a guy with Pitino’s abilities to make an immediate impact year one if he can bring in 4-5 guys.

Storr can be a stud. King and Stanley  can be solid contributors on a team that reaches the second weekend of the NCAA tournament. Obviously Soriano and Posh are all-league caliber guys. You’d think Gardner would fit in well given his ranking.

Totally agree but don't think he needs 4-5 guys to be more than competitive. If he retains the right guys currently on the team and retains a few of the recruits should only take 2-3 more players from transfer portal.

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2023, 12:20:30 AM »
Totally agree but don't think he needs 4-5 guys to be more than competitive. If he retains the right guys currently on the team and retains a few of the recruits should only take 2-3 more players from transfer portal.
And miraculously convince Boogie Fland to commit for '24. My guys won the CHSAA title over Hayes for the 2nd time in last 4 tourneys. Boogie is not close to a commitment.

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2023, 12:27:51 AM »
And miraculously convince Boogie Fland to commit for '24. My guys won the CHSAA title over Hayes for the 2nd time in last 4 tourneys. Boogie is not close to a commitment.
Would love to see it that would be great!

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2023, 11:23:22 PM »

You have to hope Hubert Davis is on the hot seat next season  because UNC has the inside track.
However, Pitino could make him his top priority and give him the keys to the gym.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2023, 12:48:35 PM »
Cragg is a true oaf. He comes off as completely untalented in every way. That lesbo ran circles around him at the press conference before she jumped in her Subaru. He needs to be fetching coffee and making copies again.

One interesting thing Pitino said in the presser is that he wants to bring in 6-8 new players. He seems very committed to Soriano. Posh was also there. I’d imagine Curbelo and Jones are goners.

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2023, 02:25:25 PM »
Cragg is a true oaf. He comes off as completely untalented in every way. That lesbo ran circles around him at the press conference before she jumped in her Subaru. He needs to be fetching coffee and making copies again.

One interesting thing Pitino said in the presser is that he wants to bring in 6-8 new players. He seems very committed to Soriano. Posh was also there. I’d imagine Curbelo and Jones are goners.
The lesbo is married with children. Wouldn't trust Cragg to get my coffee.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 02:26:29 PM by Celtics11 »

Foad

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2023, 02:40:07 PM »

I'd keep Soriano, King, Posh, Stanley, Storr, Traore and Wusu because I think he's going to have a Pointer-esque senior year. Gardner makes eight. That leaves how many? Six?

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2023, 03:22:30 PM »
The 3 committed recruits are new players. So it depends on how Pitino is defining new players.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2023, 03:48:50 PM »
The 3 committed recruits are new players. So it depends on how Pitino is defining new players.

Who are the three committed recruits?

Foad

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2023, 04:25:41 PM »

Harrison Reede, Yaxel Lendeborg, and Gardner. I only know this because I thought there were only two and looked it up.

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2023, 04:27:18 PM »
Brandon Gardner a 6' 8" Power Forward playing this year for Christ The King High School NYC
Yaxel Landeborg a 6' 9" C/F considered one of the best JC players in the country.
Harrison Reede a 6' 2" Shooting Guard

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2023, 04:40:18 PM »
Don't you follow recruiting? Life blood of any program.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2023, 04:54:18 PM »
Harrison Reede, Yaxel Lendeborg, and Gardner. I only know this because I thought there were only two and looked it up.

Thanks.

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2023, 08:15:33 PM »
I feel comfortable counting out the two recruits not named Gardner immediately. That Yaxel kid, like David Jones, seems to be the antithesis of a Pitino player. Pitino will also heavily value years 2 and 3 in recruiting.

My list of who is here next season is similar to Fun’s. I expect Pitino to prioritize Storr, Soriano, and Posh in that order. Next is Wusu, who seems very much like a Pitino guy. So does Stanley…I wouldn’t put a big jump past either of them. King seems like a solid depth guy who I’d prefer to keep but who is also easily replaced.

I expect Clayton and Nelly Junior Joseph to follow Pitino here.

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2023, 08:29:58 PM »
I don't believe Lendeborg is anything like Jones. He is a big rebound guy, who can score inside and outside. Don't think he drives to the basket with his head down trying to score with 3 guys guarding him like Jones does.

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2023, 11:32:15 AM »
I don't believe Lendeborg is anything like Jones. He is a big rebound guy, who can score inside and outside. Don't think he drives to the basket with his head down trying to score with 3 guys guarding him like Jones does.

I will have to look closer at Pitino’s rosters over the coming weeks, but my general feel for his recruiting is that he didn’t deal with a lot of JUCOs and he didn’t recruit many guys who lacked skill. Yaxel only averaged 11 points a game in a conference that isn’t exactly a powerhouse. That’s hard to do with his rebounding #s. He’s also very raw. Anderson wanted lanky athletic kids. He didn’t prioritize skill like Pitino.

Pitino knows what he has with Nelly Junior Joseph. He has a good idea about what he can expect from Soriano as an All-Big East honoree. He also has a pretty solid depth piece in Stanley that seems to fit his style. 

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2023, 12:40:12 PM »

Oh goodness this is completely wrong. Our talent level is nowhere near top BE level. We have one player who would start on a top half BE team- Soriano. That's it.

Pitino said yesterday he needs to bring in mostly all new players. Lou said he needs to get better players. The talent level on the current roster is not NCAA Tournament caliber.

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2023, 12:41:26 PM »
You have to hope Hubert Davis is on the hot seat next season  because UNC has the inside track.
However, Pitino could make him his top priority and give him the keys to the gym.

Rumors are that Pitino may get Ian Jackson to decommit from NC and come to SJU.

« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2023, 01:10:30 PM »
He (Pitino) added that there would be turnover on the current St. John’s roster.

“A lot of players probably won't be back on this team because they're probably not a good fit for me,” he said. “...It takes a certain type of player to play for me...and if you're not, it's just not a good fit, it just doesn't work.”

He added: “I asked everybody about the character on the basketball team. To be honest with all of you, I didn’t get glowing reports. I did not get glowing reports, but I did get a glowing report on Joel Soriano.”