Pitino

• 104 replies

Foad

Re: Pitino
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2023, 01:32:15 PM »
He added: “I asked everybody about the character on the basketball team. To be honest with all of you, I didn’t get glowing reports. I did not get glowing reports, but I did get a glowing report on Joel Soriano.”

Pitino talking about other people's character is pretty rich.

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2023, 05:33:35 PM »
Oh goodness this is completely wrong. Our talent level is nowhere near top BE level. We have one player who would start on a top half BE team- Soriano. That's it.

Pitino said yesterday he needs to bring in mostly all new players. Lou said he needs to get better players. The talent level on the current roster is not NCAA Tournament caliber.

Lou didn’t tell him he needed better players this year. Pitino was reciting advice Lou gave everyone when he was a coach.

Also, Pitino needs so many new players because of the lack of control Anderson had over the program. It’s not just talent or scheme related. The players ran so amuck off the court that Anderson was fired for cause. Do you have any idea how high of a hurdle that is to clear when that goes through the legal system?

Soriano- 2nd Team all-Big East 2023

Posh - 2021 All-Freshmen Team, 2022 Big East Defensive Player of the Year

AJ Storr - 2023 All-Freshmen Team

Andre Curbelo - Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year and All-Freshmen team for Illinois

David Jones - Top Ten in the Big East in scoring and Rebounding at Depaul 2021-2022 season

Wusu - Anyone with a set of functioning eyes knows he’s a legit Big East caliber 6th to 9th man

If you don’t think that’s enough talent to just make the NCAA tournament then I don’t really know what to say to you.

« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2023, 06:15:21 PM »
Lou didn’t tell him he needed better players this year. Pitino was reciting advice Lou gave everyone when he was a coach.

Also, Pitino needs so many new players because of the lack of control Anderson had over the program. It’s not just talent or scheme related. The players ran so amuck off the court that Anderson was fired for cause. Do you have any idea how high of a hurdle that is to clear when that goes through the legal system?

Andre Curbelo - Big Ten Sixth Man of the Year and All-Freshmen team for Illinois

David Jones - Top Ten in the Big East in scoring and Rebounding at Depaul 2021-2022 season

Wusu - Anyone with a set of functioning eyes knows he’s a legit Big East caliber 6th to 9th man

If you don’t think that’s enough talent to just make the NCAA tournament then I don’t really know what to say to you.

What you can say is you don’t understand basketball and you don’t know what you are watching.

Posh can’t shoot, at all, and turns it over too much.

Curbelo can’t shoot and turns it over too much.

Jones can’t shoot threes well enough and wasn’t even a regular starter for us last year, let alone being able to start for a too BE team.

Storr has potential but wasn’t a top BE starter yet this year. His defense was pretty bad all year.

Wusu is an off the bench player at best.

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2023, 07:21:21 PM »
What you can say is you don’t understand basketball and you don’t know what you are watching.

Posh can’t shoot, at all, and turns it over too much.

Curbelo can’t shoot and turns it over too much.

Jones can’t shoot threes well enough and wasn’t even a regular starter for us last year, let alone being able to start for a too BE team.

Storr has potential but wasn’t a top BE starter yet this year. His defense was pretty bad all year.

Wusu is an off the bench player at best.

Why do you keep writing “top BE team”? The conference puts 5-6 teams in the tournament each year and the post you took issue with stated “the talent level was at or near NCAA tournament caliber.”

In order for us to be near tournament caliber, the bottom of my range, we’d have to be the 6th or 7th best team in the conference and win a few OOC games. Not “a top BE team.”

I don’t even think this is susceptible to reasonable debate, and for that I’m out.

« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2023, 07:51:32 PM »
Why do you keep writing “top BE team”? The conference puts 5-6 teams in the tournament each year and the post you took issue with stated “the talent level was at or near NCAA tournament caliber.”

In order for us to be near tournament caliber, the bottom of my range, we’d have to be the 6th or 7th best team in the conference and win a few OOC games. Not “a top BE team.”

I don’t even think this is susceptible to reasonable debate, and for that I’m out.

So now you are changing your statement too- we had enough talent to finish 7th in the Big East. Ok then.

Marillac

« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2023, 08:28:27 PM »
So now you are changing your statement too- we had enough talent to finish 7th in the Big East. Ok then.

How did I change my statement? I literally quoted the relevant portion that you took issue with.  That quote, once again, “the talent level was at or near NCAA tournament caliber.”

At or NEAR tournament level. I didn’t write that we would win the conference or even compete. I thought we might scrape in or just miss like we usually do. There is a huge difference between Xavier as a three seed and us playing in the play-in round as an 11 seed.

Your comprehension is the issue here. I would imagine every other somewhat reasonable poster read it the way I intended.

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2023, 06:04:26 AM »
How did I change my statement? I literally quoted the relevant portion that you took issue with.  That quote, once again, “the talent level was at or near NCAA tournament caliber.”

At or NEAR tournament level. I didn’t write that we would win the conference or even compete. I thought we might scrape in or just miss like we usually do. There is a huge difference between Xavier as a three seed and us playing in the play-in round as an 11 seed.

Your comprehension is the issue here. I would imagine every other somewhat reasonable poster read it the way I intended.

A 7th Place BE finish is nowhere “near” an NCAA Tournament bid. Not even close. You should quit while you are behind on this point to save yourself from further embarrassment.

Marillac

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2023, 12:15:06 AM »
A 7th Place BE finish is nowhere “near” an NCAA Tournament bid. Not even close. You should quit while you are behind on this point to save yourself from further embarrassment.

The Big East had 5 NCAA tournament bids this year and 2 NIT bids. If you don’t think that is near the NCAA tournament then I don’t really know what to say.

BTW, the Big East coaches voted us to finish 6th — significantly ahead of Marquette in votes. They made their votes knowing Anderson is an awful coach. But I’m sure you know more about basketball than them.

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2023, 10:38:12 AM »
The Big East had 5 NCAA tournament bids this year and 2 NIT bids. If you don’t think that is near the NCAA tournament then I don’t really know what to say.

BTW, the Big East coaches voted us to finish 6th — significantly ahead of Marquette in votes. They made their votes knowing Anderson is an awful coach. But I’m sure you know more about basketball than them.

The Big East coaches poll- lol. Yes, they predicted Marquette to finish 9th and Villanova 3rd. So much for that.

Marillac

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2023, 08:09:06 PM »
The Big East coaches poll- lol. Yes, they predicted Marquette to finish 9th and Villanova 3rd. So much for that.

They hit on 4 of the top 5. It is based on the expectation of how 20 years old will perform…not exactly a hard science. Everyone knows Anderson is an awful coach and they voted us to finish 6th. That says a lot about  the talent we had on the roster. Obviously the can’t predict Anderson losing complete control.

lihoop

« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2023, 07:14:09 PM »
Is Taliek Brown part of the new staff?

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2023, 07:36:19 PM »
Is Taliek Brown part of the new staff?
yes

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2023, 08:38:45 AM »

I knew Pitino was a #$%^ing a rear of a donkey way back when he got rid of Bernard King because King wanted to rehab his torn knee in private.  King went on to become an all-star.  The Knicks didn't win shit, even with Mark Jackson and Patrick Ewing.

So he's #$%^ing up college kids' lives by throwing them out.

In other words, he's just as loyal to those players who came to St John's when they could have gone elsewhere as he was to his wife when he porked an assistant coach's wife next to the veal marsala.

He makes it hard to root for him.

Poison

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2023, 09:18:30 AM »
I knew Pitino was a #$%^ing a rear of a donkey way back when he got rid of Bernard King because King wanted to rehab his torn knee in private.  King went on to become an all-star.  The Knicks didn't win shit, even with Mark Jackson and Patrick Ewing.

In other words, he's just as loyal to those players who came to St John's when they could have gone elsewhere as he was to his wife when he porked an assistant coach's wife next to the veal marsala.

I think it’s none of our business who he porks. I hope the University gets rid of anyone who is opposed to Rick Pitino. We’re all tired of being a complete laughing stock of a program and institution.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:58:05 AM by Poison »

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2023, 09:34:39 AM »
I don't care who he porks either.  I was writing about loyalty.  Pitino has none.  He's a doose bag.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 09:35:17 AM by newsman13 »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2023, 09:34:41 AM »

Posh could’ve stayed but did not want to. New regime and different standards…If he doesn’t agree with them (no judgement), then he should transfer.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2023, 09:36:15 AM »
Everything I read told me Posh wanted to stay.  Don't post fake news here, please.

Poison

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2023, 09:50:08 AM »
Wusu leaving

Poison

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2023, 09:56:39 AM »
I sure hope this Pitino guy knows what he’s doing.

Poison

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2023, 09:58:48 AM »
I don't care who he porks either.  I was writing about loyalty.  Pitino has none.  He's a doose bag.

Why should he have loyalty to kids who don’t get back on defense?