Gardner's out

• 15 replies
Gardner's out
« on: April 07, 2023, 07:22:46 PM »
Now Gardner's out.

I can't wait for the fart sniffers who worship Pitino to react.  The hall of famer has given the program a complete enema.

OK, Rick.  The ball is in your court.  Let's see if you're as good as your gigantic ego makes you think you are...finding a dozen players as good as the ones you've jettisoned.

Foad

Re: Gardner's out
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 08:39:16 PM »
Now Gardner's out.

I can't wait for the fart sniffers who worship Pitino to react.  The hall of famer has given the program a complete enema.

OK, Rick.  The ball is in your court.  Let's see if you're as good as your gigantic ego makes you think you are...finding a dozen players as good as the ones you've jettisoned.

Clearly he lacked the sort of character that Pitino's Louisville recruits who banged strippers displayed on their way to vacated national championships. Addition by subtraction. Hashtag trust the process.

Poison

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 11:00:21 PM »
Pitino isn’t kissing anyone’s butt.

DFF6

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 11:11:23 PM »
Funny how some people are upset because Pitino has jettisoned most of the pieces of a broken program that many of us have bitched about for years, and now we are upset that he is trying to rebuild the program from scratch?  Sorry, but until he fails, Pitino should get the benefit of the doubt that he knows how to build a successful program. He’s earned that, notwithstanding his sordid past.

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 09:23:32 AM »
Highly doubt there will be a freshman on the roster.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2023, 12:55:01 PM »
Highly doubt there will be a freshman on the roster.

You ok man? I’m not happy about taking Iona players, but it looks likely.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2023, 04:07:54 PM »
You ok man? I’m not happy about taking Iona players, but it looks likely.

Lol I’m good with it. I think Iona was ready to move on from Pitino. Not the easiest guy to deal with, Tobin is a breath of fresh air in New Ro. I like Clayton and Jenkins, but not sure how they would fair in the Big East, that’s a whole other animal. Pitino will knock heads with the hierarchy at ST John’s

Foad

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2023, 04:49:41 PM »
now we are upset that he is trying to rebuild the program from scratch?

St John's has started from scratch for two decades. It hasn't worked out particularly well. Hashtag fifth times a charm.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2023, 10:00:49 PM »
Lol I’m good with it. I think Iona was ready to move on from Pitino. Not the easiest guy to deal with, Tobin is a breath of fresh air in New Ro. I like Clayton and Jenkins, but not sure how they would fair in the Big East, that’s a whole other animal. Pitino will knock heads with the hierarchy at ST John’s

The hierarchy at St. John's pursued Pitino and knows him well enough to give him all the leeway he needs.
Pitino at Iona was like a brain surgeon working in a dental clinic.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2023, 10:05:18 PM »
Now Gardner's out.

Finding players as good as the players who failed to play good enough in the Big East to not qualify for any post season tournaments is the easy part.
Hopefully he finds players who want to be part of basketball team and not a circus.

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2023, 08:44:44 AM »
The hierarchy at St. John's pursued Pitino and knows him well enough to give him all the leeway he needs.
Pitino at Iona was like a brain surgeon working in a dental clinic.

Repole and his $14 mil donation hired Pitino.

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 12:14:08 PM »
I hope my fear we're so jinxed that even hof coaches can't save us isn't realized.

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 01:06:58 PM »
My fear is that 18 - 20 years olds may not want to play for a 70 year old coach with baggage, who does not have an established program and is tryng to build one at his age.

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2023, 02:03:17 PM »
I don't think kids worry about baggage.  At their age, they're picking up baggage of their own.  On top of that, kids think 40 is old and not much different than 70.

Foad

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 04:16:00 PM »
I don't think kids worry about baggage.  At their age, they're picking up baggage of their own.  On top of that, kids think 40 is old and not much different than 70.

I'm not comparing my spergy teen self to high profile athletes, but to the extent that I recall being a teen, I recall caring about pussy. (I got almost none, no doubt you're all surprised.) High profile athletes don't want for pussy, so after they probably care about money and then fame and then professional elevation and then somewhere way down the list, a degree. The question then becomes: does playing at SJU translate into cash via NIL. The answer is maybe, but certainly not as much as they can make at Louisville or Kentucky or wherever else cash is delivered by nubile strippers in paper bags. So then fame, which on the one hand if you can make it here you can make it anywhere, but on the other the internets have kind of leveled the playing field relative to publicity. On the third hand a degree from SJU is essentailly worthless compared to academically superlative schools like Dook and Virginia and Nova and Georgetown. On the fourth hand Pitino has had mediocre success creating NBA player from players who weren't NBA players to begin with - e.g. Antoine Walker and Jamal Mashburn - except Billy Donovan, who ironically is better than Pitino at making NBA players. What I mean here is in that regard Pitno is neither a Jim Boeheim or Calhoun, who did that routinely.

I have no doubt Pitino is the best coach SJU has had since Louie Lapchick. On the sixth hand this program has been swirling down the toilet for 50 years. That's a long time.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2023, 04:40:24 PM »
My fear is that 18 - 20 years olds may not want to play for a 70 year old coach with baggage, who does not have an established program and is tryng to build one at his age.

Several of them already have left. I will miss them, but I will not miss their lousy judgement.