Dick Vitale's Top 40

• 56 replies
Re: Dick Vitale's Top 40
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2008, 06:02:34 PM »
Based on the way Uconn looked last year(and the year before) and Price's injury...#3 is too high for Uconn.  The players he has just don't seem to play well together.

Vitale is just hyping Connecticut off of Calhoun's rep.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

kob24

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2008, 07:19:50 PM »
I wanna see what cuse and west virgina looks like I think we have a chance of beating them

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2008, 07:45:29 PM »
I wanna see what cuse and west virgina looks like I think we have a chance of beating them

So do I kob... and u could put Marquette in that group as well. They may have a great backcourt... but with EXCELLENT defenders like boothe, horne, kennedy, etc... I think we have a legit shot at beating them. Plus, "Just Blaze" should dominate them in the paint & we should have the advantage on the boards as well.

btw - I guess u agree with me then... that SJU at worst will be a "middle of the pack" team in the Big East.. :) .. peace!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 07:48:55 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2008, 10:02:22 PM »

So do I kob... and u could put Marquette in that group as well. They may have a great backcourt... but with EXCELLENT defenders like boothe, horne, kennedy, etc... I think we have a legit shot at beating them. Plus, "Just Blaze" should dominate them in the paint & we should have the advantage on the boards as well.

btw - I guess u agree with me then... that SJU at worst will be a "middle of the pack" team in the Big East.. :) .. peace!
If "SJU at worst will be a 'middle of the pack' team in the Big East,"
what is your best case scenario?

I think you are underestimating Marquette.
The big three are seniors and they return six of their top eight off of a team that was one point away from a Sweet 16.

Georgetown, coming off of an epic 17 point choke job against Davidson, lost six of their top ten players, including their two all-BE players.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 11:29:18 AM »

If "SJU at worst will be a 'middle of the pack' team in the Big East,"
what is your best case scenario?

I think you are underestimating Marquette.
The big three are seniors and they return six of their top eight off of a team that was one point away from a Sweet 16.

Georgetown, coming off of an epic 17 point choke job against Davidson, lost six of their top ten players, including their two all-BE players.

"Best Case" scenario :

1. Mase comes back "strong", remains HEALTHY for the entire season & has a "big" year...say 17-19 pts & 6-7 rebs... makes first team all big east & is the johnnies first "1st round" draft pick in a LONG time..  8)

2. - Boothe "gets the job done" at the point... in other words he needs to knock down open shots from inside the arc, distribute the ball without turnovers, run the break & play good defense..  :)

3. - Rob Thomas rounds into shape is the "legit" scoring threat everyone knew him to be coming out of high school. And from all accounts he has lost close to 25 lbs & is getting back to his "poisonous" ways on the hardwood..  ;)

4. Burrell takes the "next step" in his development... meaning he has added some strength, added a few more post moves & averages close to 14-15 & 8-9 this year...  8)

5. The rest of our "soph" class - Kennedy, Horne, Evans & Coker - pick up their games & are ready to "contribute" on a more regular basis... and from ALL indications "they" are... especially Kennedy & Coker..  ;D

6. If all of the above goes according to plan... i could see us winning close to 20 games & possibly finishing in the top 7 in the Big East.. :o ;D

p.s. - now it's up to Norm & co. to run an offense best suited for the talent he has assembled & inspire them to play the TOUGH, hungry, in your face "D" he had in his first year at SJU... the "rest" will take care of itself imo.. :) ... Let's GO Redmen!!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 11:36:26 AM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2008, 01:06:17 PM »
starting with the p.s.... norm's "offense" last year was LAST in the big east.  the players were better than that, so it's on the coach.  i've seen nothing that tells me he'll turn into an offensive maven this season.

mase a first team all big east??? i've seen stranger things happen, but this would be one of the shocks of the century.  joe alexander came out of nowhere, true, but he had a new coach who could utilize his skills.  with mase, jr, it's same old...same old.

boothe will be okay...but he'd have to be erich barkley for us to approach 20 wins.  that would be an even bigger shocker than mase jr being first team big east.

burrell, thomas, coker and the rest of the soph class may be better...but see the p.s. comment above.

here's a "p.s."...  don't make any bets.  i'd hate to see you fitted with cement boots this time around.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2008, 04:15:09 PM »
starting with the p.s.... norm's "offense" last year was LAST in the big east.  the players were better than that, so it's on the coach.  i've seen nothing that tells me he'll turn into an offensive maven this season.

mase a first team all big east??? i've seen stranger things happen, but this would be one of the shocks of the century.  joe alexander came out of nowhere, true, but he had a new coach who could utilize his skills.  with mase, jr, it's same old...same old.

boothe will be okay...but he'd have to be erich barkley for us to approach 20 wins.  that would be an even bigger shocker than mase jr being first team big east.

burrell, thomas, coker and the rest of the soph class may be better...but see the p.s. comment above.

here's a "p.s."...  don't make any bets.  i'd hate to see you fitted with cement boots this time around.

p.s. - Norm or ANYONES "offense" when run by Eugene Lawrence is NOT going to work... especially when ur BEST player misses a 1/3 of the season & plays the rest on one foot... get it now krusty?

p.s. - once again, Mase was HURT the entire year... and in his last 10 games of his soph season he averaged 17 & 7 over that period... if he stays HEALTHY he can easily equal those #'s imo or better them & has a legit shot at "first team". PERIOD.

p.s. - boothe will not have to be barkley..  ::) ... he will have to do EXACTLY what i said he would do in the above post. In other words, ALL the things geno didn't do for us the last two years.

p.s. - yeah, i know they will be better, because i've SEEN it first hand already..  ;) ... and just about all of them improved LAST season as the year wore on expect for Burrell, who clearly "tired" from all the double teams he was facing each night.

p.s. - is that "threat" coming  from u krusty or from maven & son?.. lol... once again, i prefaced my bet SEVERAL times with "as long as Mase is healthy"... which obviously didn't happen. Secondly, i have "friends" in bay ridge just like ur buddies claim to have "friends" in howard beach... so i'm not too worried..  8) .. Plus, ur "buddies" claim to know who i am(or at least what my brother looks like..lol) anyway & if they want to "collect" they can find me, my brother & my uncle at ANY home game... come on down boys!!..  ;D .. peace!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 04:25:11 PM by oldred10 »

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2008, 08:53:02 PM »

p.s. - Norm or ANYONES "offense" when run by Eugene Lawrence is NOT going to work... especially when ur BEST player misses a 1/3 of the season & plays the rest on one foot... get it now krusty?

p.s. - once again, Mase was HURT the entire year... and in his last 10 games of his soph season he averaged 17 & 7 over that period... if he stays HEALTHY he can easily equal those #'s imo or better them & has a legit shot at "first team". PERIOD.

p.s. - boothe will not have to be barkley..  ::) ... he will have to do EXACTLY what i said he would do in the above post. In other words, ALL the things geno didn't do for us the last two years.

p.s. - yeah, i know they will be better, because i've SEEN it first hand already..  ;) ... and just about all of them improved LAST season as the year wore on expect for Burrell, who clearly "tired" from all the double teams he was facing each night.

p.s. - is that "threat" coming  from u krusty or from maven & son?.. lol... once again, i prefaced my bet SEVERAL times with "as long as Mase is healthy"... which obviously didn't happen. Secondly, i have "friends" in bay ridge just like ur buddies claim to have "friends" in howard beach... so i'm not too worried..  8) .. Plus, ur "buddies" claim to know who i am(or at least what my brother looks like..lol) anyway & if they want to "collect" they can find me, my brother & my uncle at ANY home game... come on down boys!!..  ;D .. peace!

I've warned Oldred countless times and given him plenty of opportunities. I given him a few final warnings and I told him if he doesn't follow the rules he'd be gone.

In this post he is making threats and making things personal there is no place for this type of behavior on the board and I don't want the board getting filled with this nonsense.

So after multiple chances oldred has finally wore out his welcome here.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2008, 04:16:18 AM »

I've warned Oldred countless times and given him plenty of opportunities. I given him a few final warnings and I told him if he doesn't follow the rules he'd be gone.

In this post he is making threats and making things personal there is no place for this type of behavior on the board and I don't want the board getting filled with this nonsense.

So after multiple chances oldred has finally wore out his welcome here.

I think Oldred was egged on here, some posters follow him around and leave him no choice but to respond like a tiger in the corner. Thats just my opinion, but I think rather than a banning-maybe he can get a suspension? We need posters around like him, theres no doubt hes a huge fan of ST Johns and brings good stuff to the table. If some dont agree with what he says they could always select the ignore option setup by JJ and disregard him altogether.

pmg911

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2008, 07:52:51 AM »

I think Oldred was egged on here, some posters follow him around and leave him no choice but to respond like a tiger in the corner. Thats just my opinion, but I think rather than a banning-maybe he can get a suspension? We need posters around like him, theres no doubt hes a huge fan of ST Johns and brings good stuff to the table. If some dont agree with what he says they could always select the ignore option setup by JJ and disregard him altogether.

Marco..  I am sorry but the guy has been banned from Redmen.com, Big East Boards and now here..     its not being egged on. . he brings it upon himself...   

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2008, 09:45:46 AM »
I got no problem wit ol' red 'cause I'm down wit his optimism in light of all the negativity and rumor mongering. He a tru fan no doubt. And he can be mad funny wit them pics.

But this here is JJ's house and rules gotta be respcted.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2008, 09:47:57 AM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Randomhero423

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2008, 10:02:33 AM »
it's amazing to think old red's behavior improved too.

mkras99

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2008, 12:10:14 PM »

Marco..  I am sorry but the guy has been banned from Redmen.com, Big East Boards and now here..     its not being egged on. . he brings it upon himself...  

The guy is clearly not all there mentally but, with all due respect, you could also be the bigger man and not follow him around and harass him.  Why not just let the guy be when we all know that he clearly does not play well with others?  Is it so hard to ignore him?

kjd01067

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2008, 12:14:37 PM »

Marco..  I am sorry but the guy has been banned from Redmen.com, Big East Boards and now here..     its not being egged on. . he brings it upon himself...  

The guy is clearly not all there mentally but, with all due respect, you could also be the bigger man and not follow him around and harass him.  Why not just let the guy be when we all know that he clearly does not play well with others?  Is it so hard to ignore him?

No mkras its not that hard especially since JJ put in the ignore function acouple months ago.

pmg911

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2008, 05:13:32 PM »

#1. his latest little blow up had nothing to do with me..    he went mental over a funny comment by Krusty..   

#2. NO..   I can't leave him alone..    if you could see the PM's he has sent me .. cursing out my mother. .  making coments about my pregnant wife... 

KJD - thanks for the commentary..  much appreciated...  glad to see you making such a strong contribution to the board..  keep up the good work..!!!

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2008, 05:33:02 PM »
Lets leave it be fellas.

There has been multiple exchanges were I've talked to oldred. I've sent him multiple PMs trying to prevent this and either he continued to do things despite me telling him not to and he never responded to my messages. He had many cases from many different people saying he was extremely vulgar towards them.

There were times I removed messages that oldred posted that were insulting and personal attacks and I would send a PM to tell him why and almost immediately after he would post it again. I would proceed to remove it again for him only to post it again. Its something that unfortunately had to happen.

I do think people could be more mature with each other and I do think oldred was antagonized more than he should have been but he never helped his case because he'd do the same. Its like dealing with 5 year old girls. Why did you pull her hair? Because she pulled my hair first. 

Bottom line its over. Lets not argue amongst each other about it. Oldred wasn't missed when he disappeared last time and he won't be missed this time either. I gave him plenty of warnings and said this would be the outcome. He made this choice I did not.

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2008, 05:37:03 PM »
Also please note this did not have anything to do with oldred's feelings/opinions towards St. John's basketball. Everyone is always allowed to express their opinions on the program whether they're positive/negative but when you insult, threaten, or cause trouble on a consistent basis it won't be tolerated.