Melsahn Basabe - PF - St. Mark's School - Southboro, MA - IOWA

• 10 replies
Melsahn Basabe - PF - St. Mark's School - Southboro, MA - IOWA
« on: September 16, 2008, 08:13:06 AM »
I picked up this blurb off the NBE Basketball Blog http://w3.nbebasketball.com/index.php/st-marks-school-recruiting-update/

Melsahn Basabe is a name to remember in the class of 2010. The Long Island native got some attention this past summer playing with the NY Gauchos and schools such as Fordham, St. John’s and Pittsburgh were mentioned by coach Lubick as those showing interest in the 6-foot-8 “explosive and skilled” power forward.

Anyone know anything about him?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:09:38 PM by peter »

kjd01067

Re: Melsahn Basabe - PF - St. Mark's School - Southboro, MA
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 08:22:26 AM »
ESPN RECRUITING

December, 2007: Melsahn is a talented, but raw, young player who appears to have a bright future. Although his overall skill set still needs a lot of polish, he has a combination of athleticism and agility that is hard to find under the basket. That, in combination with his excellent instincts around the rim, helps him to finish well inside despite his currently lean frame. He already does tremendous work on the glass as his nose for the ball is immediately apparent when watching him rebound out of his area. His ability to handle the ball is far ahead of his ability to shoot it from the perimeter, as he can put the ball on the deck in the open court without a problem. And while he can occasionally make shots to 18 feet his mechanics are noticeably flawed. Defensively, he has the potential to be very versatile down the line because he already has excellent lateral quickness and shot blocking abilities, which will become even more valuable when he adds the upper body strength to bang in the post.

http://hsnewyork.scout.com/a.z?s=403&p=8&c=1&nid=3859549

http://nychoops.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=2570&mid=114346980&sid=1193&tid=114346980&style=1

From a poster on rivals:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After reading about another , Long Island basketball player that attends school in Mass.,on your site, I quickly recalled another basketball player from Glen Cove that attends high school in Southborough, Mass. Melsahn Basabe is a 6"7 forward who attends St. Marks School and plays AAU for the NY Gauchos 16 and under team. Melsahn is a student athlete in all respects and choose St. Marks because of this. Known for the its' vigorous curriculum, St. Marks has a talented basketball team as well. St. Marks won their division championship in 2008 and 2006. Melsahn's team mates are ranked in the country, Erik Murphy(committed to Florida Gators) and Nate Lubick are two of the "heavy hitters."Melsahn has height and raw talent that can't be taught, and is benefiting from the coaching of David Lubick. Melsahn has been labeled a "project" with great potential by some recruiters and continues to draw attention from division 1 colleges. Most recently, he appeared at Peach Jam and his currently in Florida for the showcase and national events. Melsahn makes it a point to play "city ball" because of the competition level.He also plays in various Brooklyn summer leagues when he's not traveling with the Gauchos. Next year, this time, I'm sure Melsahn Basabe will have moved into the larger radar of talented student-athletes of 2010.(No reclassification necessary!) Melsahn is highly ranked in Mass. and New England.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 08:55:01 PM by Dave »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 01:43:15 PM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/07/14/nbe-live-at-peach-jam-tuesday-updated-940-am/

- Melsahn Basabe had a strong Hoop Group Elite camp and he has picked up 11 new offers since, including one from St. John’s. The 2010 forward attends St. Mark’s School in the New England Prep School Athletic Conference and has played well at the Peach Jam, too.

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »
to Siena

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 01:51:56 PM »

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Melsahn Basabe - PF - St. Mark's School - Southboro, MA - SIENA
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 04:59:38 PM »
Did I read somewhere he's following Fran to Iowa?

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 05:04:43 PM »

you certainly did

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 08:04:09 PM »

you certainly did

a lot of seina fans are saying how they are pissed with fran and that he is showing no class going after this kid and others mentioned by siena while fran was with them. Me, i thank him because the program enjoyed its most success while under him, and the same  thing hes doing at iow is the same thing  he would do at siena
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.