Tony Gonzalez to the Giants?

• 8 replies

Randomhero423

Tony Gonzalez to the Giants?
« on: October 11, 2008, 09:45:03 PM »
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/10/gonzalez-to-giants/

I would ABSOLUTELY LOVE the Giants to acquire Tony Gonzalez. The guy is a class act, a leader (who can help control Plaxico), very good receiver, and a very good blocker. He, unlike Shockey, can help mentor Kevin Boss for the next couple of years, and he would give Eli just another lethal weapon.

Now with all of this said, I would not trade anything more than a 4th rounder for him because of his age (32), but if we can give our two fifth round picks, or maybe a 4th/5th, I pull the trigger.

Eli Manning would have a great amount of weapons, and this can help Kevin Boss's progression.

A trade like this would put the Giants over the top.

Re: Tony Gonzalez to the Giants?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 09:52:21 PM »
I think its a good deal but the Giants got over the top with Kevin Boss and have looked pretty good this year with him too. Why fix something that isn't broke?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 09:57:51 PM »
If we can improve by only giving up a 4th rounder, then why not?  Boss only has five receptions this year, and can use another year being mentored by someone like Tony G. 

Eli with weapons like Plaxico Burress, Dominek Hixon, Steve Smith, Tony Gonzalez, and Amani Toomer is flat out great. Not to mention the running game already with Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw. 

And plus, if the Eagles get Tony G instead, we will be in trouble.   

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »
If we can improve by only giving up a 4th rounder, then why not?  Boss only has five receptions this year, and can use another year being mentored by someone like Tony G. 

Eli with weapons like Plaxico Burress, Dominek Hixon, Steve Smith, Tony Gonzalez, and Amani Toomer is flat out great. Not to mention the running game already with Jacobs, Ward and Bradshaw. 

I think Boss fits in nicely. He doesn't seek out balls and catches them when they are thrown his way. If Tony comes in maybe Eli feels a little bit more pressured to throw his way. There is no doubt he is an upgrade talent wise but so was Shockey and yes they are different personalities but an unheralded guy like Boss seems to be doing the trick.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
Giants should pickup Johnny Mitchell

Randomhero423

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 10:16:08 PM »
I mean yeah Boss is doing fine, and if the trade doesn't go through I'll still be confident.  But a leader like Tony G can really open things up even more (if that was even possible).  And I believe at this point in Tony's career, he doesn't care about the catches he gets.  He just wants to win.  And I feel, esp on the offensive side of the ball, the more vocal leaders we get the better.  

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 11:44:50 PM »
We'll see. On paper its a good deal but who knows about on the field and you're right Tony Gonzelez is old at this point in his career.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 12:44:31 AM »
It's not a move the Giants need to make, but a guy like Gonzo could only help.  He is very good all-around and would fit in any locker room.  I don't think Boss is good enough of a player that you "bring him along," randomhero.  I think JJ nailed it with his description.  He's a guy that will catch the ball when it's thrown his way, but he's not going to be an all-pro by any stretch. 

I would offer a fourth and a sixth rounder for him.  He is the type of player that won't hurt the current chemistry.  Why not?

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 12:50:58 AM »

I think Boss fits in nicely. He doesn't seek out balls and catches them when they are thrown his way. If Tony comes in maybe Eli feels a little bit more pressured to throw his way. There is no doubt he is an upgrade talent wise but so was Shockey and yes they are different personalities but an unheralded guy like Boss seems to be doing the trick.

I share your concern about Eli and feeling obligated to throw to bigger names like a Shockey or Gonzo, but I think at this point in his career Gonzo will take what is given to him and do what is asked of him (blocking) without complaining.  A guy like him at 32 wants a ring and is smart enough to understand that simply running  hard patterns will keep create space for others.

Also don't forget that Boss is not a very good blocker. This would give the Giants more versatility and subsequently make them more dangerous on typical running situations.  It all comes down to the asking price.