What is wrong with Gonzo?

• 32 replies
What is wrong with Gonzo?
« on: October 21, 2008, 02:55:38 PM »
Alot more in the article, but here is a few blurbs. Its no wonder these kids and Seton Hall cant stand him
http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/10/21/live-from-the-seton-hall-presser/#more-5395

ON BRANDON WALTERS

I think he’s a borderline Big East player. I don’t have a ton of confidence in him right now but he is a forward.

ON MITCHELL’S VIOLATION ON GETTING ON THE BUS IN GEORGETOWN

Me and my staff care about liittle things that might go wrong, or rules or violations. I do think that my philosophy on secondary violations….If you go and sit on anybody’s campus in the country, Duke, North Carolina, you’re going to see secondary violations.

ON THE EXTENSIONS GIVEN TO FRED HILL AND NORM ROBERTS.

There’s a couple guys in the metropolitan area who got extensions and haven’t proved it yet. I’m not knocking them.

ON JAMEL JACKSON

We didn’t expect Jamel Jackson to get a C- and not be eligible

Poison

Re: What is wrong with Gonzo?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 02:59:31 PM »
What's he talking about regarding Roberts? He's done a great job.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »

Better than Gonzo, thats for sure

Poison

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 04:00:48 PM »

That's for sure? How's that? They were better than us last year.
They lost some guys, but basically, they lost players due to graduation.

Gonzo's had some problems with getting kids eligible, but haven't we?

Our "big year" was supposed to be played out with Derwin Kitchen at the point.
His academic issues cost us an NIT bid. Norm is not innocent. He's created problems here.

Unless we see significant improvement from most of our 8 freshman, we'll finish dead last just like many have predicted.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 04:06:42 PM »

His academic issues cost us an NIT bid. Norm is not innocent. He's created problems here.

Unless we see significant improvement from most of our 8 freshman, we'll finish dead last just like many have predicted.

Youre only as good as your last game. Norm beat Gonzo

Poison

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 05:59:15 PM »

Youre only as good as your last game. Norm beat Gonzo

Marco, you're kinda proving my point. Seton Hall was one of our best wins last year along with Cincy, Prov and Hawaii. SJU was one of their worst losses.

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 06:58:41 PM »
Lord, leave it up to people here to throw this off topic. Did anyone READ some of thse quotes?  Who makes a statement to the media like what he did with Brandon Walters?  Why would you tell the media that you don't have a lot of confidence in him?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 07:08:39 PM »
These are the ramblings of a desperate man.  Also a stupid one.  He's over promising things he will never deliver.  He's also a bit delusional.  He's not long for Seton Hall, that's looking very likely.

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 07:41:19 PM »
i agree with yank.  the skids are greased for gonzo.

kob24

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 08:17:10 PM »
theo I agree with he explains it's even hard for the other metro area guys to land the top guns because of some if the aau coaches and I said this on a number of occasions

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 08:45:54 PM »
kob, I know what youre talking about. We both know how crazy this area is but saying you don't have confidence in one of your players to the media before the season even starts has nothing to do with recruiting.  A coach should be putting a public vote of confidence in for his athletes.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 08:46:36 PM »
Lord, leave it up to people here to throw this off topic. Did anyone READ some of thse quotes?  Who makes a statement to the media like what he did with Brandon Walters?  Why would you tell the media that you don't have a lot of confidence in him?

The only thing I can think of is that he is trying to motivate him.  

kjd01067

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 09:08:03 PM »

The only thing I can think of is that he is trying to motivate him.  

I would hope that was his reasoning but even so it was done in absolutely the wrong way.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 11:16:10 PM by kjd01067 »

kob24

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 10:20:41 PM »
I don't know brandon is in the big east. He doesn't belong here

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 10:25:53 PM »
But coach brought him in, and now he needs bodies.  Gotta talk positive about him.  I don't remember anyone saying stuff like that about the walk-ons who played for the Red Storm.  People know when a player doesn't belong, but a coach has to fill the kid with confidence, not tear him down or provide excuses.

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 10:26:59 PM »
But coach brought him in, and now he needs bodies.  Gotta talk positive about him.  I don't remember anyone saying stuff like that about the walk-ons who played for the Red Storm.  People know when a player doesn't belong, but a coach has to fill the kid with confidence, not tear him down or provide excuses.

And some think this guy doesnt burn bridges?

Poison

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 11:41:07 PM »

Walters isn't a walk on. He's on ship. Is it much different than TJ or Coker?
Walters wasn't such a low level recruit.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 12:21:57 AM »

Didn't know the guy was on a ship.  If a coach is going to do a player like that, he can ask the player to leave in the offseason.  Or maybe it's motivation.

Norm never threw TJ or Dele under the bus like that.

Marillac

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 12:55:52 AM »

Didn't know the guy was on a ship.  If a coach is going to do a player like that, he can ask the player to leave in the offseason.  Or maybe it's motivation.

There is always a chance that the quote was taken out of context.  Reporters aren't exactly the biggest fans of Bobby and another Bobby mistake would be news.  Personally I believe in positive reinforcement and would probably never degrade a player publicly. 

People look at SH and think disaster waiting to happen, but I think they are a Justin Burrell away from an NCAA berth.  The team really went south last year after Gause got hurt, as he is really one of the best defenders in the league and they were one of the leagues worst defensive teams.  If Glover can some how get eligible they can really make some noise.  They only have eight players on schollie, but they have two great players in Lawrence and Pope to practice with and they have seven quality Big East players to rotate.  Nobody is going to be able to press them with 2-3 PG's on the floor and they will have two very good shooters with Mitchell and Hazell.  It could be a 'Nova type team when they hand Randy Foye playing the four at 6'6.

I remember Syracuse getting to the championship game with only two subs with Wallace, Burgain, Hart, etc.  They had the foreign shooter and one big and that was really IT! 

Of course an implosion is also very possible with Bobby G, but I'd would still take him over Norm any day.

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 01:20:35 AM »

There is always a chance that the quote was taken out of context.  Reporters aren't exactly the biggest fans of Bobby and another Bobby mistake would be news.  Personally I believe in positive reinforcement and would probably never degrade a player publicly. 

People look at SH and think disaster waiting to happen, but I think they are a Justin Burrell away from an NCAA berth.  The team really went south last year after Gause got hurt, as he is really one of the best defenders in the league and they were one of the leagues worst defensive teams.  If Glover can some how get eligible they can really make some noise.  They only have eight players on schollie, but they have two great players in Lawrence and Pope to practice with and they have seven quality Big East players to rotate.  Nobody is going to be able to press them with 2-3 PG's on the floor and they will have two very good shooters with Mitchell and Hazell.  It could be a 'Nova type team when they hand Randy Foye playing the four at 6'6.

I remember Syracuse getting to the championship game with only two subs with Wallace, Burgain, Hart, etc.  They had the foreign shooter and one big and that was really IT! 

Of course an implosion is also very possible with Bobby G, but I'd would still take him over Norm any day.

Every and any team has a chance. Thats the beauty of a new season. You are right Seton Hall could do very well this season but its more likely that they won't. Their players could play very well but its more likely that they won't. All their players could be eligible but its more likely that they won't.

You are right though they could be pretty good. I'll use a John Madden line to sum up Seton Hall, "Well if they score more points than the other team they have a good shot at winning the game."

Seriously though I've stressed this point with St. John's and for all of college basketball. There is a fine line from being very good and very bad over a course of a season. If Seton Hall pulls out 3 more wins in Big East season who knows they could have been NCAA team instead they weren't even a Big East Tourney team. I think they have some classic underachieving players on their roster who all have potential to be good but I don't think they will. Their roster is very Aaron Spears-esque.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle