What is wrong with Gonzo?

• 32 replies
Re: What is wrong with Gonzo?
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »
http://lfballonhoops.blogspot.com/2008/10/bobby-g-and-more.html

Bobby G and More
Just a few items I would like to share. Remember these are my thoughts ONLY!

Why would a high level D1 college basketball coach ever call out a player in the national press? Well that is what Bobby Gonzalez did with Brandon Walters at the Seton Hall Press Day. Why does he embarrass this kid, his family, and those close to him? It was brutal to say the least!

Let's examine a few reasons why.

The first reason might be to motivate him to work harder and improve. It might be a way to get this kid to compete harder and become more of a factor at Seton hall University. I honestly think there are better ways to do this.

Second reason might be Coach G is trying to encourage the young man to transfer. This would be the way of opening the door for him to explore his options. He might look at this young man as a person who is so comfortable that he would just ride the bench at SHU and never really care about his playing time. So Gonzo says this to get others in his ear to encourage him to leave. Remember my thoughts are always go where you are loved and not where you are just wanted. Honestly I think this would be a true paper bag Move on SHU and the SHU administration who Gonzo represents whether he realizes it or not. It is the type of thing that is done regularly at those cheating schools where they run kids off, and those who stay end up with 25 real college credits after playing basketball for 4 years. Private email me for a list of such schools. This type of behavior is one of the reasons I always push for kids to attend college local at SHU, RU, SJU, and all the mid majors. But when you start doing this type of stuff it becomes BAD! Again I am not sure this is the case, but if it is I hope all the folks at Lincoln HS, Brooklyn, and NYC are watching. I would not want a kid I am affiliated to attend a school where the coach bad mouths a kid in the press or runs them off.

Third reason could be he talks so fast he does not have an opportunity to think about what he is actually about to say. Or should I say analyze what he is about to say because it is impossible not to think before speaking. This is such a Rick Pitino move. I doubt DC will ever recover from the way Rick talked about him in the press and in private. Yet it is so easy for kids to think it will not happen to them. Which is so untrue because it could. Similar in an exaggerated way to a person trying drugs saying it will not have the same affect on them as it does on others. People in AAU, Travel Team, and HS Circles in this area still push kids to schools who get away with using and hurting kids. In Chicago, the local coaches shut DePaul down for about 6 years after they felt kids were not treated right and area coaches were disrespected. Would he had done this to a St. Anthony's player? ummmmmmmm!

Gonzo owes this kid, SHU, the kids parents, and many others an apology for his remarks. Others might not think it was a big deal. I do and remember what I said in the beginning: My thoughts, my blog. I have defended Bobby on here and I have raved about SHU's Team to the point I have been attacked on various message boards. But as I always say. I only call it as I see it.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 12:52:47 PM »
I don't know brandon is in the big east. He doesn't belong here
But coach brought him in, and now he needs bodies.  Gotta talk positive about him.  I don't remember anyone saying stuff like that about the walk-ons who played for the Red Storm.  People know when a player doesn't belong, but a coach has to fill the kid with confidence, not tear him down or provide excuses.

Walters isn't a walk on. He's on ship. Is it much different than TJ or Coker?
Walters wasn't such a low level recruit.
Didn't know the guy was on a ship.  If a coach is going to do a player like that, he can ask the player to leave in the offseason.  Or maybe it's motivation.

Norm never threw TJ or Dele under the bus like that.

There is always a chance that the quote was taken out of context.  Reporters aren't exactly the biggest fans of Bobby and another Bobby mistake would be news.  Personally I believe in positive reinforcement and would probably never degrade a player publicly. 

People look at SH and think disaster waiting to happen, but I think they are a Justin Burrell away from an NCAA berth.  The team really went south last year after Gause got hurt, as he is really one of the best defenders in the league and they were one of the leagues worst defensive teams.  If Glover can some how get eligible they can really make some noise.  They only have eight players on schollie, but they have two great players in Lawrence and Pope to practice with and they have seven quality Big East players to rotate.  Nobody is going to be able to press them with 2-3 PG's on the floor and they will have two very good shooters with Mitchell and Hazell.  It could be a 'Nova type team when they hand Randy Foye playing the four at 6'6.

I remember Syracuse getting to the championship game with only two subs with Wallace, Burgain, Hart, etc.  They had the foreign shooter and one big and that was really IT! 

Of course an implosion is also very possible with Bobby G, but I'd would still take him over Norm any day.

Hart wasn't on that team. Cipolla, Sims, Burgen, Wallace, Hill, Reafsnyder and Janulis.
Bobby Lazor picked up garbage minutes, but he was soft.

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »
But coach brought him in, and now he needs bodies.  Gotta talk positive about him.  I don't remember anyone saying stuff like that about the walk-ons who played for the Red Storm.  People know when a player doesn't belong, but a coach has to fill the kid with confidence, not tear him down or provide excuses.

Didn't know the guy was on a ship.  If a coach is going to do a player like that, he can ask the player to leave in the offseason.  Or maybe it's motivation.

There is always a chance that the quote was taken out of context.  Reporters aren't exactly the biggest fans of Bobby and another Bobby mistake would be news.  Personally I believe in positive reinforcement and would probably never degrade a player publicly. 

People look at SH and think disaster waiting to happen, but I think they are a Justin Burrell away from an NCAA berth.  The team really went south last year after Gause got hurt, as he is really one of the best defenders in the league and they were one of the leagues worst defensive teams.  If Glover can some how get eligible they can really make some noise.  They only have eight players on schollie, but they have two great players in Lawrence and Pope to practice with and they have seven quality Big East players to rotate.  Nobody is going to be able to press them with 2-3 PG's on the floor and they will have two very good shooters with Mitchell and Hazell.  It could be a 'Nova type team when they hand Randy Foye playing the four at 6'6.

I remember Syracuse getting to the championship game with only two subs with Wallace, Burgain, Hart, etc.  They had the foreign shooter and one big and that was really IT! 

Of course an implosion is also very possible with Bobby G, but I'd would still take him over Norm any day.

Hart wasn't on that team. Cipolla, Sims, Burgen, Wallace, Hill, Reafsnyder and Janulis.

John Wallace carried that team in the tournament. Cipolla hit a couple of big shots

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 01:27:15 PM »

Every and any team has a chance. Thats the beauty of a new season. You are right Seton Hall could do very well this season but its more likely that they won't. Their players could play very well but its more likely that they won't. All their players could be eligible but its more likely that they won't.

You are right though they could be pretty good. I'll use a John Madden line to sum up Seton Hall, "Well if they score more points than the other team they have a good shot at winning the game."

Seriously though I've stressed this point with St. John's and for all of college basketball. There is a fine line from being very good and very bad over a course of a season. If Seton Hall pulls out 3 more wins in Big East season who knows they could have been NCAA team instead they weren't even a Big East Tourney team. I think they have some classic underachieving players on their roster who all have potential to be good but I don't think they will. Their roster is very Aaron Spears-esque.

Agree they look to be in a world of trouble.  It'll take a couple of years for Glover's case to reach the Supreme Court, he's history.  I thought I had heard somewhere that Pope had lost his case for waiver and was considering heading to Europe?  Lawrence, whose case was weak to begin with (these waivers are for real economic or health related problems, not homesickness), didn't help his cause by not being academically eligible to apply for the waiver in the first semester.  And if you can't be academically eligible at a B12 school that's pretty amazing.  Combine that with the fact that the NCAA doesn't like loud mouth coaches and I sincerely doubt we'll see any of these guys this year and probably no more than one of them ever in a SHU uni.

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 04:21:49 PM »

Yesss...Lazarus Sims was the PG!  Real smart kid, under control all the time, strong, but not extremely athletic.  Otis Hill was their center at only 6'8.  Cipolla hit that huge shot from the corner.   Wallace was huge, but they all had their own roles and I wouldn't say he carried them.  Bugain was very big for them and Hill was a beast.  Sims was incredible during that run as well. 

They only ran seven kids and they were fine.

Poison

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 05:47:14 PM »

Yesss...Lazarus Sims was the PG!  Real smart kid, under control all the time, strong, but not extremely athletic.  Otis Hill was their center at only 6'8.  Cipolla hit that huge shot from the corner.   Wallace was huge, but they all had their own roles and I wouldn't say he carried them.  Bugain was very big for them and Hill was a beast.  Sims was incredible during that run as well. 

You didn't think Wallace carried them? I can't say for sure, because how I remember it may not be the way it actually happened. Cipolla didn't really start to play well until the dance. Burgen was a lunch pail guy, kinda like Postell. Sims really improved his shooting that year, and played great d. Even Reafsnyder made an impact.

Hill was the difference though inside. As a freshman, actually soph, he red-shirted, he was in foul trouble often, but he really same on strong during the big run.

Wallace seemed to drop 30 points and pull down 15 boards at will. But in many cases, they didn't even need him to be so good.

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 01:59:31 PM »
Anyone hear about Gonzo going off and kicking a camera man at Big East Media Day?

just kidding
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 02:00:08 PM by JJ »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 04:35:11 PM »

Yesss...Lazarus Sims was the PG!  Real smart kid, under control all the time, strong, but not extremely athletic.  Otis Hill was their center at only 6'8.  Cipolla hit that huge shot from the corner.   Wallace was huge, but they all had their own roles and I wouldn't say he carried them.  Bugain was very big for them and Hill was a beast.  Sims was incredible during that run as well. 

You didn't think Wallace carried them? I can't say for sure, because how I remember it may not be the way it actually happened. Cipolla didn't really start to play well until the dance. Burgen was a lunch pail guy, kinda like Postell. Sims really improved his shooting that year, and played great d. Even Reafsnyder made an impact.

Hill was the difference though inside. As a freshman, actually soph, he red-shirted, he was in foul trouble often, but he really same on strong during the big run.

Wallace seemed to drop 30 points and pull down 15 boards at will. But in many cases, they didn't even need him to be so good.

He was their best player, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't say he carried them.  Otis Hill was huge for them inside and Burgan was a great talent himself.  He took a lot of pressure off of Wallace.  The thing with Wallace was that he was a terrible defender.  The 2-3 matchup zone helped, but he got beat baseline all the time and was a total liability out on the permiter.  Offensively he was a beast. 

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 04:54:59 PM »
After that tournament, there was talk about Wallace skipping his senior year. He didn't, which gave scouts more opportunity to assess his weaknesses. He wasn't much of an NBA player at all; the bad defense continued and he never improved.

Poison

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 08:18:08 PM »
After that tournament, there was talk about Wallace skipping his senior year. He didn't, which gave scouts more opportunity to assess his weaknesses. He wasn't much of an NBA player at all; the bad defense continued and he never improved.

There was talk of Wallace skipping his senior year after a second round exit from the dance.
In 95-96, Wallace was a senior. That was te year, they beat Kansas to go to the FF.

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »
Gonzo is off his rocker...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=3659804

"If Herb Pope isn't able to play until next year I'll be thrilled to have him next year," Gonzalez said. "But he's a kid, where going to school without basketball is going to be tough for him. He has a lot of things to deal with, some of which I can't tell you. If I could tell you everything that's happened to that kid, you'd be stunned he's not off selling drugs or shooting people or something. Basketball for him is a motivating force."

Told of Gonzalez's argument, Notre Dame coach Mike Brey, who also was at media day and joined the NABC board this year, scoffed, "That's weak."
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 11:25:58 AM »
And the beat go on.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2008, 12:28:04 PM »
re:Gonzo   There is a saying up here in the country, "If you plant corn, you get corn".  Is anyone surprised?