Best One Man Show In College Basketball (of All Time)

• 60 replies

Randomhero423

Re: Best One Man Show In College Basketball (of All Time)
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 07:20:23 PM »
adam morrison?

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 07:51:49 PM »
Bird would have been my pick.  He took a small school to the NCAA Finals that probably wouldnl't have even qualified for the tournament without him.  Pistol Pete put up some astonishing #'s, but the wins weren' t really there. 

kob24

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 08:07:58 PM »
I'm sure west wouldn't be where he is with out nelson. And I'm sure some of the other guys had a second option

Randomhero423

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 08:17:26 PM »
west was a first rounder and averaged 19 / 5 / 5.  it's not fair to say nelson made him.    not to mention he's proven to be quality NBA player.

Marillac

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 08:35:55 PM »
I'm sure west wouldn't be where he is with out nelson. And I'm sure some of the other guys had a second option

A case could be made that Nelson held West back as he got almost no burn at PG in college.  Also that St. Joe's team had another NBA player, 6'11 Dwayne Jones of the Orlando Magic. Three NBA players on one team would disqualify Nelson from this in my mind.  Not to mention current NBA player Matt Caroll's brother and that Greek kid were sick shooters for them. 

kob24

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 09:08:22 PM »
adam morrison?
[/quote
He had ravio, heytvelt, and turiaff at one point

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2008, 09:10:42 PM »
adam morrison?

Adam Morrison had good players around him.

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 09:13:12 PM »
Please keep in mind... I wanted to keep this thread as a question to what the player did in college only (with limited talent around him). Not what he did in the NBA. 

For instance:

Hatten and Douby (as another poster mentioned) come to mind.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 09:15:43 PM by Johnny4Life »

kob24

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
I think danny and jameer maybe I'm wrong and from what I have been told pistol

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »
Please keep in mind... I wanted to keep this thread as a question to what the player did in college only (with limited talent around him). Not what he did in the NBA. 

For instance:

Hatten and Douby (as another poster mentioned) come to mind.
I can go with Hatten.  His stats and usage were unreal, and he won an NIT championship on his freaking own.  Douby did no such thing.

And Adam Morrison was good, but he DEFINITELY had players around him.

I wouldn't put him as the best of anything, but anyone remember Harold "the Show" Arcenaux, about 10 years ago, Weber State?  He was killing it in the NCAAs, and the rest of that team was terrible.  And he looked like a loafy baller, but he kept getting his shot off.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/weber-state/harold-arceneaux

« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 10:34:07 PM »
Wouldn't Curry's accomplishments last year top both Hatten and Douby?

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 10:35:39 PM »
I can go with Hatten.  His stats and usage were unreal, and he won an NIT championship on his freaking own.  Douby did no such thing.

And Adam Morrison was good, but he DEFINITELY had players around him.

I wouldn't put him as the best of anything, but anyone remember Harold "the Show" Arcenaux, about 10 years ago, Weber State?  He was killing it in the NCAAs, and the rest of that team was terrible.  And he looked like a loafy baller, but he kept getting his shot off.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/weber-state/harold-arceneaux

I definitely remember him.  He was one that came to mind pretty quickly.

Also Randolph Childress in the ACC tourney was one of the best I've ever seen...back in 1995

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRJMsoIptQo&eurl=http://www.faniq.com/video/RandolphChildress-YouTube-172,2,206/team_recent

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

sjd8886

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 11:02:19 PM »
SJD, how could Pete be best "all-around?" He did one thing and that was score. And the reason he did that was because he took a TON of shots.
You would see headlines like "Maravich Scores 50." But he took 52 shots - plus free throws. Plus he never played defense in his life.
Plus, when he got out of college he ruined an excellent Hawks. Entertaining, yes. Great player, no.

Players like Oscar Robertson, Lew Alcindor, Bird, Russell, Walton, and many more were better all-around players.

possibly...but ur also discounting his handle and passing ability, both in number (5.2 per game) and skill (the passes he made were jaw dropping)...and maybe bc he put up alot of shots is the reason he scored so much but he still shot 44%...and it wasnt like he wasnt dunking everything in sight...and there was no 3 point line then, so if there was, it wouldnt have been alot of points, it would have been a ridiculous amount of points...but i see ur point about the defense, thats a valid point...but also, on the other hand, he wasnt the best guard but its not like he was incapable of guarding someone

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 11:15:52 PM »
Wouldn't Curry's accomplishments last year top both Hatten and Douby?

IMO... Yes. But I think he had a better supporting cast than Hatten and Douby did.

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 11:22:39 PM »
this is a great read...i would have opted for bird right off the bat.

magic johnson also comes to mind.  his team wins a national championship...he leaves...and michigan state loses to us in the lapchick tournament the next season.

Greg Kelser (Special K) was also on that team.  He graduated and was the 4th pick in the draft that year so they weren't devoid of talent in Magic's last year but of course Magic was an all time great.
if you look at kelser's short journeyman career in the nba, you'll conclude that he was a great beneficiary of magic's abilities to raise anyone's game to monster status.

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 11:36:37 PM »
Len Bais

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2008, 12:07:55 AM »
Immediately I agree what Curry has done so far over his career is way more impressive than Hatten and Douby.

Also the argument that Nelson had West when you pointed out Michael Beasley well he had Bill Walker so I find that whole argument hypocritical.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Carmelo Anthony yet. I wouldn't consider him the "Best One Man Show" because he did have a pretty good supporting cast but he did win a national championship in his only year.

Its pretty hard to argue against Pistol Pete or Larry Bird but what about Oscar Robertson in his days at Cincy?

Oscar's stat lines are crazy!

34ppg 15rpg and 5apg averaged over 3 seasons
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2008, 12:09:41 AM »
Immediately I agree what Curry has done so far over his career is way more impressive than Hatten and Douby.

Also the argument that Nelson had West when you pointed out Michael Beasley well he had Bill Walker so I find that whole argument hypocritical.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Carmelo Anthony yet. I wouldn't consider him the "Best One Man Show" because he did have a pretty good supporting cast but he did win a national championship in his only year.

Its pretty hard to argue against Pistol Pete or Larry Bird but what about Oscar Robertson in his days at Cincy?

delonte west was still much better than bill walker. 

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2008, 12:31:28 AM »

delonte west was still much better than bill walker. 

Their games are way different style but no way was Delonte West much better than Bill Walker. Walker averaged 17ppg coming off of tearing his ACL in his first year of school. Delonte West averaged 5ppg in his first year. West finished up in his 3rd year averaging 18ppg.

Their stats are very similar except for assists which could be attributed to St. Joes offense compared to Kansas St.'s and the fact West had the ball in his hands a lot more.

The fact of the matter is they were both 2nd option players who are comparable enough to put Nelson and Beasley into the same class of "One Man Shows"

Beasley was the more dominant of the two by stat comparison but Nelson was by far more entertaining to watch.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2008, 12:36:21 AM »
Keith MR Jennings