Best One Man Show In College Basketball (of All Time)

• 60 replies
Re: Best One Man Show In College Basketball (of All Time)
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2008, 12:37:01 AM »
Harold Arcenaux

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2008, 01:39:48 AM »
Harold Arcenaux

The kid had a great tournament.  Not a great athlete, but smoothe.

Marillac

« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2008, 01:42:07 AM »
Immediately I agree what Curry has done so far over his career is way more impressive than Hatten and Douby.

Also the argument that Nelson had West when you pointed out Michael Beasley well he had Bill Walker so I find that whole argument hypocritical.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Carmelo Anthony yet. I wouldn't consider him the "Best One Man Show" because he did have a pretty good supporting cast but he did win a national championship in his only year.

Its pretty hard to argue against Pistol Pete or Larry Bird but what about Oscar Robertson in his days at Cincy?

Oscar's stat lines are crazy!

34ppg 15rpg and 5apg averaged over 3 seasons

delonte west was still much better than bill walker. 

Sooooooo much better!  and figure in Dwayne Jones in the NBA as well.

Marillac

« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2008, 01:48:03 AM »
Immediately I agree what Curry has done so far over his career is way more impressive than Hatten and Douby.

Also the argument that Nelson had West when you pointed out Michael Beasley well he had Bill Walker so I find that whole argument hypocritical.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Carmelo Anthony yet. I wouldn't consider him the "Best One Man Show" because he did have a pretty good supporting cast but he did win a national championship in his only year.

Its pretty hard to argue against Pistol Pete or Larry Bird but what about Oscar Robertson in his days at Cincy?

Oscar's stat lines are crazy!

34ppg 15rpg and 5apg averaged over 3 seasons

I agree with you on Anthony.  He had a very good supporting cast, but they were YOUNG and didn't achieve the same after him with the same players with more experience. 

'Melo is my favorite player and I think he will win an NBA title before all is said and done if he can get some help.  He was NBA 20 PPG ready from the moment he stepped foot on campus and he was the perfect size/position to dominate.  IMO nobody can dominate the college game like an awesome combo forward like John Wallace, 'Melo, Bird, etc. 

I dont know if I'd label it the best one man show, but what 'Melo did as a freshman has to be at the top of the most amazing accomplishments of a player in the NCAA and I doubt it will be duplicated for a long time.  He was a man amongst boys. 

« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2008, 02:53:19 AM »

If you say Douby or Hatten, you're overrating the importance of the NIT in this modern era.
Curry nearly brought his team to the Final Four.

Mr. Jennings had Greg Dennis.
How about Ken Jennings? Now there was a one-man team. Right, Alex?

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2008, 02:57:11 AM »

If you say Douby or Hatten, you're overrating the importance of the NIT in this modern era.

Mr. Jennings had Greg Dennis.
How about Ken Jennings? Now there was a one-man team. Right, Alex?

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2008, 02:15:26 PM »
this is a great read...i would have opted for bird right off the bat.

magic johnson also comes to mind.  his team wins a national championship...he leaves...and michigan state loses to us in the lapchick tournament the next season.

Greg Kelser (Special K) was also on that team.  He graduated and was the 4th pick in the draft that year so they weren't devoid of talent in Magic's last year but of course Magic was an all time great.
if you look at kelser's short journeyman career in the nba, you'll conclude that he was a great beneficiary of magic's abilities to raise anyone's game to monster status.

Well he clearly wasn't worthy of a #4 pick, that's for sure.  And without a doubt Magic was a guy who could make almost anybody better.

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2008, 02:31:07 PM »
Oscar Robertson....no one?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2008, 02:40:46 PM »
Harold Arcenaux

I think that's definitely noteable... he did make that tourney run by himself.

« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »

I am not arguing with you. What Curry accomplished was phenominal. However, IMO, I think he had much better talent/team (and coaching) around him than Douby and Hatten. The Davidson team at least played together (passing, team defense, etc.). I think Douby and Hatten were given the ball to their coaches and told "make something happen" when everyone else on the floor were there to rebound and be spectators.

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2008, 02:58:43 PM »

I am not arguing with you. What Curry accomplished was phenominal. However, IMO, I think he had much better talent/team (and coaching) around him than Douby and Hatten. The Davidson team at least played together (passing, team defense, etc.). I think Douby and Hatten were given the ball to their coaches and told "make something happen" when everyone else on the floor were there to rebound and be spectators.

Name one guy on Davidson besides Curry...quick...don't use google.

« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2008, 03:24:10 PM »

Name one guy on Davidson besides Curry...quick...don't use google.

LOL... Brendan McKillop!

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2008, 03:31:08 PM »
Seriously... Jason Richards was Curry's sidekick.

pmg911

« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2008, 03:35:33 PM »
this is a great read...i would have opted for bird right off the bat.

magic johnson also comes to mind.  his team wins a national championship...he leaves...and michigan state loses to us in the lapchick tournament the next season.

Greg Kelser (Special K) was also on that team.  He graduated and was the 4th pick in the draft that year so they weren't devoid of talent in Magic's last year but of course Magic was an all time great.
if you look at kelser's short journeyman career in the nba, you'll conclude that he was a great beneficiary of magic's abilities to raise anyone's game to monster status.

Well he clearly wasn't worthy of a #4 pick, that's for sure.  And without a doubt Magic was a guy who could make almost anybody better.

I believe Jay Vincent was on the Michigan State team too...

pmg911

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2008, 03:36:19 PM »
For one season. . Chris Jackson at LSU was unstoppable...

pmg911

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2008, 03:37:26 PM »
and guys...   when he played...   and even thought he was surrounded by top talent. . how can you not mention Lew Alcindor in college...

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2008, 03:37:51 PM »
GREG ODEN - OHIO STATE

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2008, 03:39:20 PM »
yes he was.

i looked it up.  vincent lit us up for 30 in the lapchick, but we still won by 15.

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2008, 03:39:36 PM »
Seriously... Jason Richards was Curry's sidekick.

Did you know who Jason Richards was before the tournament? Also do you really consider the talent surrounding Curry was better than anything that Douby or Hatten had? Perhaps they were better coached but the players were no better than what those guys had.

If you wanted to argue the fact that Davidson wouldn't have made the tourney if they were in the Big East that would be a better argument because they were a virtual unknown going into the tourney if they would have been playing a Big East schedule they could have been a little more exposed. However Curry is one hell of a one man show.

« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2008, 03:41:30 PM »
yes he was.

i looked it up.  vincent lit us up for 30 in the lapchick, but we still won by 15.
this, of course, refers to pmg911's post saying jay vincent was on the michigan state national championship team.