What is the most memorable SJU game you ever attended?

• 16 replies
What is the most memorable SJU game you ever attended?
« on: October 24, 2008, 01:33:29 PM »
2008 Johnnies upset #9 Pitt.

Randomhero423

Re: What is the most memorable SJU game you ever attended?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 01:55:31 PM »
STJ versus duke when STJ hit the free throws at the end.

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:49:06 PM »
There might be a better one.... but in recent memory.... Mase kicking it down low to Hamilton who then gets quickly triple teamed... but kicks it out to Wright for the 3... nothing but net!!!!

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 02:50:29 PM »
My most memorable one on TV was the Duke/SJU game where they won at Duke.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 03:12:38 PM »
Beating Uconn in 00 in the Championship.
Chudney Gray will forever be one of my favorites because of what he did in that game.

Too bad few SJU fans even know what I'm talking.

Some others:
SJU over Duke in March 03. I've seen an SJU beat beat a top 10 team by himself.
SJU over NC State in the Holiday Festival. Just because it came on the heels of a home loss to St.Francis.
SJU over Syracuse at the Garden in 90. Boo Harvey's jumper won it.
SJU over BC in 91. Malik's senior year. SJU was up 25-4 in the first half to start the game.

SJU losing to St.Francis at home during the Lou C court dedication game.
That is a memory, and a nightmare that I will never, ever forget. 

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 03:26:05 PM »
Even though they lost. . the SJU - DUKE game when Bootsy dropped 41 was one of the best college basketball games I have ever seen and the best I have ever witnessed...

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 03:39:17 PM »
Rowin from the side "Good"! Syr The Pearl in the paint.Blocked by Berry!!!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
Even though they lost. . the SJU - DUKE game when Bootsy dropped 41 was one of the best college basketball games I have ever seen and the best I have ever witnessed...
I wasn't there live but I watched at home.  That game was ALL heart.  What was Duke ranked, #3 then?  

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 03:49:20 PM »
hate to spoil the party...but it'll be a long time before i forget that blowout loss to maryland almost two years ago in the garden.  we lost by 30 plus...it could have been 50.

the only bright spot in that game was the play of ricky torres..to give you an idea.

on the positive side, i watched us beat georgetown at georgetown in 85 to be ranked number one in the country.  it never got better than that.

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »
December 29, 1976. Holiday Festival Final.
Indiana -76, St. John's - 69.
This was the Indiana team that is the last undefeated national champs. The Redmen fought them tooth-and-nail the entire way. It was a three-point game at the half. George Johnson scored 23 and was brilliant. It was probably the stiffest test Indiana faced that season -- a classic night of college hoops where the Garden was filled and rocking. In those pre-Big East days, you rarely saw that kind of scene in local college basketball. Come to think of it, we don't see these days either.

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 08:52:06 PM »
St. Johns beating UNC with Jordan, Perkins , Dougherty, etc in Springfield , Mass in November of 1982 to open the college bball season.
What a ride back to NYC.

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 09:27:15 PM »
STJ-Wisconsin in the NCAA Tournament in DC in 2002.  We booked a hotel and hand a busload of students go down.  Even though we lost it was amazing to see my favorite team in sports in the tournament.   It was just amazing driving down there and stopping and seeing all different fans in their jerseys and team garb and talking a little trash. 

LJSA

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 10:27:19 PM »

I don't think that game got the respect it deserved. Vitale should have been singing its praises for the rest of that season.

pmg911

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 07:27:27 PM »
hate to spoil the party...but it'll be a long time before i forget that blowout loss to maryland almost two years ago in the garden.  we lost by 30 plus...it could have been 50.

the only bright spot in that game was the play of ricky torres..to give you an idea.

on the positive side, i watched us beat georgetown at georgetown in 85 to be ranked number one in the country.  it never got better than that.

awesome awesome game. .  i forget who he blocked but early in the game Walter Berry blocked a shot out to halfcourt. . game was on National TV and the annoucers went crazy...

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 09:41:32 PM »
1965 NIT championship.  Houston, Sonny Dove, and the McIntyres delivered and the Old Coach went home with a victory in his last game. Everyone wept through the cheers for Joe Lapchick as he was revered in that building.
It was a night when even the mezzanine was into the game and not  only for the point spread.  There was then, and there will never be anything like, the love in that house when the kids won the NIT for Coach Lapchick gave him the ultimate  victory. t was massive.I

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 10:04:02 PM »
1999 NCAA Tournament vs. Indiana and Maryland

Me and a few buddies watched St. John's crush Indiana, 86-61, in a second-round NCAA Tournament contest on TV. The 25-point loss was the worst defeat in Indiana's 75-game NCAA Tournament history. As soon as the game was over, we booked flights to Knoxville, TN.

Had great seats for the Maryland game, which was another easy win for SJU. Ohio State game was also fun to be at. Not many SJU students made the trip, so me and my buddies where on tv a lot going crazy in the stands. Three more minutes and I truely believe that we beat Ohio State.

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 12:25:42 AM »
That Indiana game was the most memorable that I attended.  I was living in Florida at that time and the game wqs in Orlando.  I sat way up in the rafters with my daughters.  Indiana fans were so obnoxious at the start of the game.  As we started to open a lead, we bacame obnoxious.  Beating Bob Knights team so soundly was great.