Roberts Looks to Take Back NYC

• 27 replies
Roberts Looks to Take Back NYC
« on: October 26, 2008, 01:06:31 AM »
http://bebballsju.blogspot.com/2008/10/norm-roberts-looks-to-take-back-nyc.html

An article written about how Norm is getting into the NY recruiting scene again with additions onto the staff and Omari commitment. Nothing really knew but a few interesting Norm quotes which I'm assuming are from BE media day. Interesting point of view about Mark Jackson. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

Re: Roberts Looks to Take Back NYC
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 02:21:28 AM »
Roberts continued,“St. John’s, for a long time, did not get everybody. Ed Pinckney went to Villanova, Rod Strickland went to DePaul, Kenny Smith went to North Carolina but what happened here is they got Mark Jackson. You didn’t worry about other guys going (out of New York). So we’ve got to deal with the guys we’ve got.”

That just sounds like such an excuse. 

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 03:11:49 AM »
He has a point to a degree but I think its definitely positively spinning a situation no coach wants to be in. You want to pick the creme of the crop not the pick of the litter.

We had that situation then...here is now.

Sylven Landesburg went to UVA, Kevin Jones went to WVU, Mookie Jones went to Cuse, we end up with Quincy Roberts.

Now Quincy Roberts may turn out to be a nice player and this is no slight to him what so ever but he wasn't even option 4 we had Devoe Joseph, Sean Kilpatrick, etc. on the list so I think the comparison is a bit off. I hope QR plays with that chip on his shoulder knowing that and proving people wrong.

Norm is at least smart enough to know how to spin the media a bit so he doesn't set himself up for failure by saying something that will come back to bite him then again it seems the bar is never set too high either which is a problem because then there is no accountability. 

Randomhero423

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 08:26:13 AM »
i was with norm for a while.  unfortunately my recording of him was not very clear so i didn't include it in my article.  i will say though, it seemed like he made many excuses....

he talked about how rock bottom we were and how long it was going to take to come back. and how we needed better faculties and how we can't compete with other big east schools because they have a lot more $ and a football program. 

i found it BS.  if we had a better coach, we'd have better players. plain and simple...

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:14:49 AM »
i was with norm for a while.  unfortunately my recording of him was not very clear so i didn't include it in my article.  i will say though, it seemed like he made many excuses....

he talked about how rock bottom we were and how long it was going to take to come back. and how we needed better faculties and how we can't compete with other big east schools because they have a lot more $ and a football program. 

i found it BS.  if we had a better coach, we'd have better players. plain and simple...

Its not as blunt or simple as you make it out to be. Facilities on campus do help out a lot. Its a recruits initial impression of the school when he visits. When other schools facilities are a lot more impressive then ours its much harder to sell and when you don't have the recruits you don't win. Its a vicious circle.

I do think we're starting to turn the corner in the arms race with facilities, campus looks great and when everything is finished its going to be a really nice campus. I hate to play the youth card on you but I don't think you fully grasp everything due to the fact you're not in college yet.

Randomhero423

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 09:25:58 AM »
if we had a john calipari, sean miller, or bob mckillop, from the start we would be MUCH better.  norm has failed as a recruiter, and a lot of coaches would have done a lot better.

pmg911

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 09:32:05 AM »

An article written about how Norm is getting into the NY recruiting scene again with additions onto the staff and Omari commitment.

"AGAIN". . that might make one believe he was ever in to begin with..   FAILURE is the only word to describe Norm's efforts to recruit NYC until he got a verbal from Omari Lawrence... 

Poison

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 10:08:03 AM »

Its not as blunt or simple as you make it out to be. Facilities on campus do help out a lot. Its a recruits initial impression of the school when he visits. When other schools facilities are a lot more impressive then ours its much harder to sell and when you don't have the recruits you don't win. Its a vicious circle.

I do think we're starting to turn the corner in the arms race with facilities, campus looks great and when everything is finished its going to be a really nice campus. I hate to play the youth card on you but I don't think you fully grasp everything due to the fact you're not in college yet.

facilities are important, but shouldn't they matter more to women?

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2008, 10:50:09 AM »

An article written about how Norm is getting into the NY recruiting scene again with additions onto the staff and Omari commitment.

"AGAIN". . that might make one believe he was ever in to begin with..   FAILURE is the only word to describe Norm's efforts to recruit NYC until he got a verbal from Omari Lawrence... 

or as in we've seen these types of articles time and time again this offseason.

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 10:53:57 AM »
if we had a john calipari, sean miller, or bob mckillop, from the start we would be MUCH better.  norm has failed as a recruiter, and a lot of coaches would have done a lot better.

If we had roy williams, dean smith, bob knight we would be much better too. We don't though and facilities are important aspect of recruiting. St. John's was behind the 8 ball and this does not help a first time head coach in the deepest conference in America. Its not an excuse its more fact.

There are plenty of things we could have done better over the Robert's tenure but I'm more concerned about the future(this season and next) then I am about last season and the season before.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 11:00:10 AM »
Only got three ballers from NYC on the team.
Probly the lowest ever in St. John histry.
Just statin facts is all.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 11:23:20 AM »
Is that because Norm isn't going after them or because they don't want to come here?  I once asked Bob Cimino, at one of the Garden games last year, to send us some players.  His response was, "Come and get 'em."  I took that to mean that Norm might not be aggressively recruiting Mount Vernon players.  It seems, though, that the top tier kids don't want to commit to us.

Kids are being convinced to go to programs where they have to compete with the talent already there, the guys coming in with them, as well as being recruited over the next year.  It's been said over and over but both Curtis Kelly and Doug Wiggins should have been able to foresee what happened to them at Uconn.  There are other kids from this area that I think will regret the choices they made (as far as playing time) but I will keep my speculations to myself.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 11:25:16 AM by simplyred »

pmg911

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 11:29:04 AM »

There are plenty of things we could have done better over the Robert's tenure but I'm more concerned about the future(this season and next) then I am about last season and the season before.

if you don't pay attention to the past you are bound to repeat it in the future..

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 11:32:31 AM »
norm is a cheap street hustler.  every word out of his mouth is self serving.

we won with lesser facilities.  we attracted studs with an old alumni hall as our "showcase".  

sure, he's a first time coach.  the questions are, what is he doing here in the first place...and why is he on a lifetime ticket??

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 11:33:44 AM »

if you don't pay attention to the past you are bound to repeat it in the future..

There is big a difference between knowing what happened in the past and dwelling on what happened in the past.

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 01:33:04 PM »
Is that because Norm isn't going after them or because they don't want to come here?  I once asked Bob Cimino, at one of the Garden games last year, to send us some players.  His response was, "Come and get 'em."  I took that to mean that Norm might not be aggressively recruiting Mount Vernon players.  It seems, though, that the top tier kids don't want to commit to us.

Kids are being convinced to go to programs where they have to compete with the talent already there, the guys coming in with them, as well as being recruited over the next year.  It's been said over and over but both Curtis Kelly and Doug Wiggins should have been able to foresee what happened to them at Uconn.  There are other kids from this area that I think will regret the choices they made (as far as playing time) but I will keep my speculations to myself.
Outside of the slow administration, no one believes that this mistake is the "hardest working coach." Huggins and Hill, who got Cimino's last two BE players, are much more aggressive recruiters.

JJ is right in that it's not simply the coach, the below-average BE faclities, or the below-average NYC talent during the Normie era. Whenever the administration acknowledges their mistake, they're going to need to go after an aggressive, name coach that can automatically get in the homes of higher profile recruits. They've been able to pay a below average salary for  the past four seasons at the expense of a dwindling fan base.

My hope is that they don't make the same mistake that Providence College did of viewing gradual improvement as meaningful and take a decade to figure out that this is not the coach to lead them out of the basement.

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 02:11:11 PM »
norm is a cheap street hustler.  every word out of his mouth is self serving.

we won with lesser facilities.  we attracted studs with an old alumni hall as our "showcase".  

sure, he's a first time coach.  the questions are, what is he doing here in the first place...and why is he on a lifetime ticket??

St Johns atrracted studs by paying them, for years
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 02:39:08 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 04:19:21 PM »
Roberts continued,“St. John’s, for a long time, did not get everybody. Ed Pinckney went to Villanova, Rod Strickland went to DePaul, Kenny Smith went to North Carolina but what happened here is they got Mark Jackson. You didn’t worry about other guys going (out of New York). So we’ve got to deal with the guys we’ve got.”

It does sound like an excuse and it is also fact.
1982-1983 there were 2 great pgs in NYC.
We were the runner-up for Pearl Washington which if we had gotten him we clearly would have won it all in 1985, were barely in the running for Kenny Smith and settled in the end for Mark Jackson.
Forget that MJ had a great NBA career, both Pearl and Kenny were MCAAs while Mark was barely top 100.
We have been settling for ages.

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 07:06:14 PM »

If we had roy williams, dean smith, bob knight we would be much better too. We don't though and facilities are important aspect of recruiting. St. John's was behind the 8 ball and this does not help a first time head coach in the deepest conference in America. Its not an excuse its more fact.

blame it on the facilities all you want, but honestly SJU had the worst facilities when Fran was here and he still recruited some of the best in NYC.

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 07:56:47 PM »

You are a little off on how we got Mark Jackson. .  it certainly wasn't "settling"

Coach Carnesecca offered all three scholarships and made it clear to all three guys that the the first person to say YES was going to get the slot. .  Mark said yes first...

It does sound like an excuse and it is also fact.
1982-1983 there were 2 great pgs in NYC.
We were the runner-up for Pearl Washington which if we had gotten him we clearly would have won it all in 1985, were barely in the running for Kenny Smith and settled in the end for Mark Jackson.
Forget that MJ had a great NBA career, both Pearl and Kenny were MCAAs while Mark was barely top 100.
We have been settling for ages.