Are the players of today better than the past?

• 10 replies
Are the players of today better than the past?
« on: October 27, 2008, 06:01:53 PM »
Honestly, does anyone see the difference between players of past and of today. What is difference from  Mark Jackson to Omar Cook? Mark Jackson was the leader of his team, he demanded the responsibility of his team, and he did not back away from it. Omar Cook may have been more talented athletely than Mark, he did not have his team back. But his game had to many flaws to began with. Mark plays was dictated on the ability of using his intelligences to oversee the game as whole, when to use the teardrop, bankshot, drive to hole, posting opposing guards, midrange jumpshot, bumpfake, fadeway and the many more things he had in his backpocket. Omar could do those things but he could not do with constantly as Mark. Everyone is looking at how athlete a kid maybe, but not look at whole. There is more to basketball than running up and down. There is studying, practicing, working your hardest to improve your game. Your sweat is most important thing than just being there.

Re: Are the players of today better than the past?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:54:10 PM »
Honestly, does anyone see the difference between players of past and of today. What is difference from  Mark Jackson to Omar Cook? Mark Jackson was the leader of his team, he demanded the responsibility of his team, and he did not back away from it. Omar Cook may have been more talented athletely than Mark, he did not have his team back. But his game had to many flaws to began with. Mark plays was dictated on the ability of using his intelligences to oversee the game as whole, when to use the teardrop, bankshot, drive to hole, posting opposing guards, midrange jumpshot, bumpfake, fadeway and the many more things he had in his backpocket. Omar could do those things but he could not do with constantly as Mark. Everyone is looking at how athlete a kid maybe, but not look at whole. There is more to basketball than running up and down. There is studying, practicing, working your hardest to improve your game. Your sweat is most important thing than just being there.
I dont know if they are better today but it seems that a while ago there was less movement of kids transferring ( kids always transferred it just seems like more now ) and kids leave early.

Awhile ago kids played together longer and to me at least the teams were more of a unit or more cohesive and developed better over a longer time.

I dont know if its statistically true it just seems like that to me

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 08:41:31 PM »
College basketball certainly seemed more pure back in the day if that makes any sense. It probably wasnt, but the scandals and cheating were well hidden. IMO, the whole Prep School and AAU scene is taking its toll on the College hoops world. Now some of these programs are great for the kids, its the whole "advisors" I find troubling

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:01:39 PM »
Well said, Marco. It seems as if the "advice" given to the more talented players is to use college ball as a way to audition for the pros. Get seen on TV, impress scouts with your raw ability, and bolt when your stock is high enough for first-round money. It's less of a team game these days. And on NBA draft night, most of the players taken are "projects." In too many cases, long-range projects.
So in a way, players from the past made better use of the skills needed to play the game. These days, the "skills" players seem to measure themselves by are who can jump highest, who can dunk the prettiest, and who has the best crossover move.
I also feel the three-point shot has hurt the game -- this coming from an old ABA fan. A criticism you read in lots of scouting reports is that a player lacks a three-point shot. Yet in actual games, it's more important to go mid-range and closer. Funny how we've seen the decline of good shooting with the advent of the three-pointer. Ther's nothing worse than seeing a team heave up 25-to-30 threes in a game.
My other pet peeve about the modern game: point guards who dominate the ball. A pass is always better than multiple dribbles, yet too many "playmakers" are content to pound the ball into the floor. It has made the NBA game unwatchable.
The college game is getting ugly, too. Tight as the game was, I thought the most recent national championship game was painful to watch.

Yet with all that whining, I still love the game of basketball. There's nothing more attractive in sports than seeing a well-coached basketball team playing together as a unit.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:30:33 PM »
There is more athletic talent and size today, but they were probably more skilled in the past.  I think the 80's and early 90's was where the high skill level and high athletic ability enjoyed the best balance.  You don't really have to look further than Jordan, Magic, Bird, and some of the bigs like Ewing and Hakeem to back that up.

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 10:25:35 AM »
The fundamentals are just not taught the way they were in the past. .   and it shows consistently when you watch youth basketball today...

Kids today play on so many teams and in so many tournaments...    they don't practice enough and practice is when you learn and get better at your basic skills...

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 10:55:46 AM »
The fundamentals are just not taught the way they were in the past. .   and it shows consistently when you watch youth basketball today...

Kids today play on so many teams and in so many tournaments...    they don't practice enough and practice is when you learn and get better at your basic skills...

I agree with the comment about fundamental and basic skill.

One of the big differences today is that every kid shows up on campus as a star. AAU has made every top 100 player a star. Years ago if a kid played significant minutes as a Fr he was a happy. If he started it was like wow. Now a days if a kid does not start as a Fr or play a key role he is a disappointment and we should look to recruit over him.

Today if you are a Sr in College in a major conferecne it is only because you are not good enough for the NBA.

pmg911

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 11:16:05 AM »

Today if you are a Sr in College in a major conferecne it is only because you are not good enough for the NBA.

or you have made a decision to complete your education...

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 02:56:30 PM »

Those are far and few. That really did not work out for Roy last year.

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 03:01:03 PM »

Those are far and few. That really did not work out for Roy last year.

In what sense. .  if he blows his knew out tomorrow..  he still had two years of guaranteed money and a degree from Georgetown to carry into the working wolrd...

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 06:34:07 PM »
The fundamentals are just not taught the way they were in the past. .   and it shows consistently when you watch youth basketball today... Kids today play on so many teams and in so many tournaments...    they don't practice enough and practice is when you learn and get better at your basic skills...

You are right on the mark, in my opinion.
Even at the younger ages, it's more games than practices these days.