A reason for optomism?

• 35 replies
A reason for optomism?
« on: October 30, 2008, 07:19:41 AM »
Before class last night i picked up a copy of the school paper and was pleasntly surprised by this article. It appears that  pitino, calhoun and a few pro scouts think we are going to be pretty good this year.

Let's hope they are correct.

http://media.www.torchonline.com/media/storage/paper952/news/2008/10/29/EditorColumns/From-Right.To.Left-3513056.shtml

"Watch out for St. John's," said Louisville head coach Rick Pitino to a group of reporters at last week's Big East media day at the Garden.

I don't know if Pitino's words matter, but I do know he's been named coach of the year by the SEC three times, the NABC once and Conference-USA once. He won the John Wooden National Coach of the Year in 1987 and the NCAA National Championship in 1996.

In total fairness, Pitino was reiterating what he had heard from UConn coach Jim Calhoun, who had himself gotten the news from some pro scouts who had seen the Johnnies practice.

"Pro scouts!!" Pitino and I had the same reaction.

"They said St. John's isn't what everyone thinks they are," Pitino said of the scouts. "They are young, tenacious, they are very gifted and talented."

Re: A reason for optomism?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 07:26:08 AM »
hes mocking us!

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 08:44:48 AM »
He is not mocking us.

This is the most optomistic I have been about our team in all of Norm years and throw in the last 2 years of Jarvis.

I know it is hard to believe based on his Fr year, but Dele Coker is a completely updated improved player. If he can stay out of foul trouble, he is going to contribute big time.

Burrell look like he has taken his game to another level. Foot work looks great on his low post moves. Most to all teams will need to double down on him. The next thing I say could be good or bad. Burrell has really expanded his range on his Jump shot.

Mason is Mason. If he plays within the team concept he will really help our team win. If he plays for PT's and showing he belongs in the NBA he will hurt the team.

I for have no concerns about Malik. You know what he is going to bring. He is going to play strong D. I am not concerned with him guarding any PG in the Big East. People are going to back off him to make him shoot but he just has that knack of getting his teammate the ball in a position for them to score.  Shooting will not be that much of an issue.

Now are the X factors. Who steps up Paris, DJ, Rob, Sean, Q.  What do these guys bring this year determine a lot about our season.

The glass is half full.

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 08:56:51 AM »
He is not mocking us.

I didnt really think he was, but hey lets hope for the best.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:31:39 AM »
He is not mocking us.

This is the most optomistic I have been about our team in all of Norm years and throw in the last 2 years of Jarvis.

I know it is hard to believe based on his Fr year, but Dele Coker is a completely updated improved player. If he can stay out of foul trouble, he is going to contribute big time.

Burrell look like he has taken his game to another level. Foot work looks great on his low post moves. Most to all teams will need to double down on him. The next thing I say could be good or bad. Burrell has really expanded his range on his Jump shot.

Mason is Mason. If he plays within the team concept he will really help our team win. If he plays for PT's and showing he belongs in the NBA he will hurt the team.

I for have no concerns about Malik. You know what he is going to bring. He is going to play strong D. I am not concerned with him guarding any PG in the Big East. People are going to back off him to make him shoot but he just has that knack of getting his teammate the ball in a position for them to score.  Shooting will not be that much of an issue.

Now are the X factors. Who steps up Paris, DJ, Rob, Sean, Q.  What do these guys bring this year determine a lot about our season.

The glass is half full.

I think (and hope) Paris, DJ and Sean will step up. Not sure about Rob and Quincy. What needs to be done is (1) everyone needs to know their role and play as a team (2) Norm needs to have some sort of strategy (I am hoping for more presses on D; We run more; We get some HI/LOW action with Burrell and Mase)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 10:34:22 AM by Johnny4Life »

pmg911

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 10:38:07 AM »
He is not mocking us.

The glass is half full.

I hope the glass half full view is correct...

BUT its been to much of the same old same old with Norm..   until the team proves me wrong I see no reason, besides the beginning of a new season, to be optimistic...

Poison

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 12:10:33 PM »
I admit i liked reading that, but how does Rick Pitino know that we could be good?
What is basing that on? Certainly not from our most recent game against Louisville, where they trounced us.

And if there was an NBA scout on hand to watch us play, it was probably because Jamaica is on the way to Hempstead.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:12:56 PM »
Yea I saw this all on their blog almost a week ago now right after BE media day

http://torchsports.wordpress.com/2008/10/22/notes-from-the-big-east-basketball-media-day/#more-121
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kob24

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 12:17:03 PM »
the knicks spurs and bobcats have been to practice.

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 12:45:48 PM »

why..?

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 01:43:27 PM »
i'd be optomistic if i found out norm had worked in the off season on his coaching skills...or if he brought in a stud x and o guy.

the players may have worked hard...but we haven't seen any indication of that from roberts.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »
guys before we all start picking up bad habits, it's optimistic.

kob24

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 04:20:02 PM »

why..?
I don't know pmg that is their job. I guess because they looking at mass and burrell had alot of guys eyeing him in vegas he did his thing. Word travels fast in this game

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 04:39:16 PM »

why..?

I don't know pmg that is their job. I guess because they looking at mass and burrell had alot of guys eyeing him in vegas he did his thing. Word travels fast in this game
Don't they know Burrell is 6'8"? ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:39:45 PM by peter »

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 04:58:14 PM »

why..?

Knicks want to set up a team composed of the sons of their former employees. Ewing, Mason, Grunfeld, etc.

Poison

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 05:51:40 PM »
I thought they should have kept Ewing Jr. He gave them a spark off the bench.
Who do thy have now? Malik Rose. Big deal. Time for him to retire.

Mason won't sniff the NBA unless he drops 22 a game this year,
and makes SJU a winner. A lot to ask.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:55:40 PM by Poison »

sjd8886

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 07:50:35 PM »
its pitino...its not gonzo...he wouldn't mock another team bc he is a professional

sjd8886

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 07:54:01 PM »
I thought they should have kept Ewing Jr. He gave them a spark off the bench.
Who do thy have now? Malik Rose. Big deal. Time for him to retire.

Mason won't sniff the NBA unless he drops 22 a game this year,
and makes SJU a winner. A lot to ask.

more so to make us a winner...i used to think u needed big numbers to make the nba...not true...u need to show the skills necessary to play in the nba and the potential to build on those skills...but most importantly, to be a winner

Poison

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 07:58:33 PM »
its pitino...its not gonzo...he wouldn't mock another team bc he is a professional

"Watch out for St. John's," said Louisville head coach Rick Pitino.
How does Pitino know anything at all about us?

All he saw was a team that struggled to put up 40 points against an overrated Louisville team.

sjd8886

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 08:11:28 PM »

"Watch out for St. John's," said Louisville head coach Rick Pitino.
How does Pitino know anything at all about us?

All he saw was a team that struggled to put up 40 points against an overrated Louisville team.

so you have inside information saying he knows nothing about our team?   like it matters bc even if he doesnt know anything about us he could still be saying something nice in passing like ohh yea, jimmy, hes a good kid...my only point was he wouldnt mock another team