SJU season prediction

• 51 replies
Re: SJU season prediction
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 02:03:21 PM »
we will be better and surprisingly better. (even with absence of lw)

Can you elaborate on the areas where you think this will happen..?

pmg,
i simply dont know. just a feeling. i believe sju is due for significant improvement (yes even under norm). so many with low expectations, I'm a contrarian.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 02:07:05 PM by NYCbuckeye »

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 02:21:39 PM »

Re Larry I was not a huge fan of though I do believe he would have brought one thing to this team - an outside threat.  But when he wasn't shooting what was he doing?  Answer, not much.  I believe due to the overall lack of talent the past 4 years lots of folks made Larry out to be better than he was.  There's a reason he transferred to the school he did and not a B10 or even MAC or Horizon League team closer to home.  I appreciate all he did for the team the past couple years and would welcome his presence on the team as a designated shooter but he's not JJ Redick and I'm pretty sure if he couldn't start last year he wasn't going to start this year.  I just hope a couple wings can shoot at least 35% from beyond the (new further) arc while playing D and contributing assists at the same time.

LW dropped in 9 a night playin severely limited mins on a team that could hardly score.

Larry gonna be missed big time y'all.

He will be missed if only because he's capable of shooting, and we have no returning legit threat.
However, Wright hit a lot of his threes when we were down by 25. He was given a chance, and he really didn't get it done against the good teams.

When he was given minutes he got it done.  He was the leading scorer in the win against Providence at CA, and hit big shots in the Seton Hall win.

Poison

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »

Re Larry I was not a huge fan of though I do believe he would have brought one thing to this team - an outside threat.  But when he wasn't shooting what was he doing?  Answer, not much.  I believe due to the overall lack of talent the past 4 years lots of folks made Larry out to be better than he was.  There's a reason he transferred to the school he did and not a B10 or even MAC or Horizon League team closer to home.  I appreciate all he did for the team the past couple years and would welcome his presence on the team as a designated shooter but he's not JJ Redick and I'm pretty sure if he couldn't start last year he wasn't going to start this year.  I just hope a couple wings can shoot at least 35% from beyond the (new further) arc while playing D and contributing assists at the same time.

LW dropped in 9 a night playin severely limited mins on a team that could hardly score.

He will be missed if only because he's capable of shooting, and we have no returning legit threat.
However, Wright hit a lot of his threes when we were down by 25. He was given a chance, and he really didn't get it done against the good teams.

When he was given minutes he got it done.  He was the leading scorer in the win against Providence at CA, and hit big shots in the Seton Hall win.

if that's where ends, cedric jackson was better than him.

« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2008, 03:10:37 PM »

You're saying that Wright score a lot of his points in garbage minutes.  But go back to some of last years games, 20pts in 25 minutes in the OT loss to WV, 9pts in the Cinci win, 18 pts in the Niagara win.  IMO Wright produced when he was given the minutes.

Poison

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2008, 04:05:59 PM »

You're saying that Wright score a lot of his points in garbage minutes.  But go back to some of last years games, 20pts in 25 minutes in the OT loss to WV, 9pts in the Cinci win, 18 pts in the Niagara win.  IMO Wright produced when he was given the minutes.

We LOST to Niagara in that game, and the time for Wright for be hitting his shots wasn't when the game was over, and out of reach. We needed him to match their offense, and he couldn't.

I didn't see the Cincy win as the Larry Wright show. I saw a team effort. And yes, he finally hit some shots against WV, but at the end of the day, we chased Avery Patterson out because he didn't play d. No one expected Wright to be so uninterested in defense.

Wright basically lost his minutes, when he had a terrible game in Miami, and came up empty in Hawaii.

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »
how many points did Wright give up? Matador D

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2008, 08:46:37 PM »
17 Wins total 6 in BE.

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2008, 08:49:42 PM »
we will be better and surprisingly better. (even with absence of lw)

Can you elaborate on the areas where you think this will happen..?

pmg,
i simply dont know. just a feeling. i believe sju is due for significant improvement (yes even under norm). so many with low expectations, I'm a contrarian.

i feel just like you.

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2008, 10:27:07 PM »
Sorry but I can not see this team winning more than 15 games in this loaded conference. Roberts will probably not survive another sub .500 season either.  He had better pray that Mason stays healthy for the entire season, which incidentily he has yet to do his entire career at st. johns.

14-16, 6-12, no postseason, new coach.
He may very well survive another losing season.
What would lead you to believe that there would necessarily be an improvement in standards?

You could be right. However if the fans, students and even some of the alumni start chanting for Roberts to be fired at both CA and MSG to close out the season. I think he is a goner at that point. The st. johns administration is very image conscious. It is one thing for fans to be calling for his ouster on the net. But it is a whole different ballgame if it happens on a regular basis in our home arena for all to see and hear and for the media to report on a daily basis.

werent the fans chanting that towards the end of last season?

In the last few home games there were segments of the crowd that were clearly unhappy and pretty vocal about it. Nothing like it will be this year around mid season if there are no clear signs we will be nothing but a mediocore basketball team with Roberts and this staff. How much string can they give this guy untill he has finally hung himself? I have to  believe the collective outcry of alumni, students, long time fans and season ticket holders will be too much for a change not to be made.

Another sub .500 season and he is gone. If not I will never give another red cent to this university for any reason.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 10:29:28 PM by redstorm55 »

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2008, 10:47:03 PM »
Norm isnt going anywhere. Wasnt he just given a 5 year contract? Hes bringing in a top player and the best so far of the Norm years

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2008, 01:14:38 PM »
Norm isnt going anywhere. Wasnt he just given a 5 year contract? Hes bringing in a top player and the best so far of the Norm years

That extension will not prevent them from firing him if this team finishes .500 or worse.  I doubt the buyout is that big. And untill i see Stephenson in a red and white jersey I really doubt it will ever happen.  Hey don't get me wrong. marco i  hope you are right. And i like some of the recruits  he has brought to the program.  But i still think he goes if there is no lance and no major improvement in both our level of play and the win total.

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2008, 04:38:10 AM »
realistically...norm's coaching costs us between ten and 15 points a game.  if we play 33 games, we'll be hard pressed not to lose 20.

i say 14-19...and i'm always optimistic.