Sterling Gibbs - PG - Seton Hall Preparatory - West Orange, NJ - TEXAS

• 94 replies

kjd01067

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:46:33 AM by Dave »

Re: Sterling Gibbs - PG - Seton Hall Preparatory - West Orange, NJ
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:56:58 PM »
Sterling Gibbs '11, Seton Hall Prep (NJ)
The younger brother of current Pitt freshman Ashton Gibbs, Sterling had a nice showing at the EGC. Gibbs, a point guard who seems to move awkwardly around the court, got to the rack with ease on the big stage. Once there though, is when a noticeable issue with Gibbs' game showed. The quick point guard struggled to finish upon getting to the hoop. Many times Sterling would draw contact and get to the charity stripe, yet it was rarely for an and-one as he had a problem scoring with said contact. The sophomore did show a nice up-and-under-esque move and also displayed a good spin move. Overall, it was a solid showing for Sterling, who was key to the NJ squad.

http://blog.northstarbball.com/2008/11/04/eddie-griffin-challenge-scouting-reports-new-jersey-sophomores.aspx

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 06:58:03 AM »
Coach Q along with Billy Singleton and Oz Cross was in New Jersey on Sunday evening watching Sterling Gibbs lead his Seton Hall team to a victory over a Plainfield team featuring Isiah Epps. Sterling looks like the real deal running the point for his team. Only a sophmore, he plays with a poise beyond his years.

kjd01067

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
Coach Q along with Billy Singleton and Oz Cross was in New Jersey on Sunday evening watching Sterling Gibbs lead his Seton Hall team to a victory over a Plainfield team featuring Isiah Epps. Sterling looks like the real deal running the point for his team. Only a sophmore, he plays with a poise beyond his years.

Thanks for the update.  Keep us informed

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 11:16:06 AM »

Jamie Dixon was also in the house checking him out too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 08:53:25 PM »
Looks like Pitt has the inside track but nice to see the STJ staff being aggressive.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 01:41:04 AM »
I know nothing about this kid, but he has the name of a star.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 01:48:05 AM »
I've seen him play once but everyone told me forget what I saw because it was the worst game he's ever played. He's quick, good iq, has a little bit of a push shot but he's young.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 11:30:54 AM »
Most people that I've talked to believe that Sterling is going be a better player than his older brother.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 02:01:21 PM »
http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009/05/29/usa-development-team-player-quotes-s-gibbs--j-mcadoo-recruiting-updates.aspx

Sterling Gibbs listed Seton Hall, Villanova, Pitt, Indiana, Louisville, St. John's, UConn, Florida, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Rutgers. The speedy point guard added, "Indiana, Pitt, Seton Hall, and Rutgers have offered." Even though Sterling's older brother, Ashton Gibbs, plays at Pitt, the Panthers are not his favorite. "At this point, Villanova is in the lead," stated Gibbs. Why is that? "Because I like the way their guards play free, and [Head] Coach Jay Wright is a great coach, so it's a win- situation." Regarding when he will narrow his list, the sophomore standout told me, "I hope to cut down my list soon, but I'm also open to everyone, and I hope for more schools to come into the mix." So Gibbs is not near committing, right? "Yeah, I'm going to take my time and work my way through the process."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl_YZl2H1ng#
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 02:02:11 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 02:25:20 PM »
Sterling also did very well at Bob Gibbons too. He led the Panthers deep into the tournament further than expected.

kob24

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 02:31:16 AM »
just found out he made the fiba 16u team. and he is only 15!!!!!!! st.johns has a legit shot at him. he has a great relationship with oz. i pray yall get him i think he will end up a 5 star player after this year.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 09:06:46 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/06/19/gibbs-says-villanova-is-his-leader/

Sterling, a 6-foot point rising junior guard out of West Orange (NJ) Seton Hall Prep, says Villanova is his leader at this point.

“I would say right now the favorite would be Villanova,” Gibbs said Thursday by phone after he scored 13 points as the U.S. beat Venezuela 102-76 in the FIBA Americas U16 Championship in Mendoza, Argentina.

“I just like the way that they play and how their guards play. They’re just an open offense. There’s not real set plays. They just like to have players who could just make plays.”

Temple Gibbs, the boys’ father, said in an interview that the Villanova assistant coaches had seen Sterling play but that an official offer likely wouldn’t come until head coach Jay Wright sees him in person.

Sterling said he’s also hearing from Oklahoma, St. John’s, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Indiana and Maryland.

Temple said they would take a visit to Oklahoma’s Elite Camp in August.

As for when he might decide, Sterling said: “I can’t even say right now. I think if the right school offers, that’ll determine my decision.”

kob24

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 12:02:45 AM »
Congrats to sterling and team USA they won the fiba tournament I just found out. He was the 6th man and his stock went hella up

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 12:12:16 AM »
"hella"? lol kob u from cali now?
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

kob24

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 03:08:41 AM »
Nah that's southpark slang

kob24

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 01:49:15 AM »
just heard duke offered florida next please

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 04:50:22 PM »
http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009/05/29/usa-development-team-player-quotes-s-gibbs--j-mcadoo-recruiting-updates.aspx

Sterling Gibbs listed Seton Hall, Villanova, Pitt, Indiana, Louisville, St. John's, UConn, Florida, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Rutgers. The speedy point guard added, "Indiana, Pitt, Seton Hall, and Rutgers have offered." Even though Sterling's older brother, Ashton Gibbs, plays at Pitt, the Panthers are not his favorite. "At this point, Villanova is in the lead," stated Gibbs. Why is that? "Because I like the way their guards play free, and [Head] Coach Jay Wright is a great coach, so it's a win- situation." Regarding when he will narrow his list, the sophomore standout told me, "I hope to cut down my list soon, but I'm also open to everyone, and I hope for more schools to come into the mix." So Gibbs is not near committing, right? "Yeah, I'm going to take my time and work my way through the process."

I am always seeing "highlight" flims of these kids. Wouldn't it be interesting to see some "lowlight" videos as well? :D

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 02:17:11 AM »

I am always seeing "highlight" flims of these kids. Wouldn't it be interesting to see some "lowlight" videos as well? :D

Here is a concept. Go to see some games! You can go to a tournament for 1 day and see a majority of these kids play.