Sterling Gibbs - PG - Seton Hall Preparatory - West Orange, NJ - TEXAS

• 94 replies
Re: Sterling Gibbs - PG - Seton Hall Preparatory - West Orange, NJ
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »
http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009/05/29/usa-development-team-player-quotes-s-gibbs--j-mcadoo-recruiting-updates.aspx

Sterling Gibbs listed Seton Hall, Villanova, Pitt, Indiana, Louisville, St. John's, UConn, Florida, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Rutgers. The speedy point guard added, "Indiana, Pitt, Seton Hall, and Rutgers have offered." Even though Sterling's older brother, Ashton Gibbs, plays at Pitt, the Panthers are not his favorite. "At this point, Villanova is in the lead," stated Gibbs. Why is that? "Because I like the way their guards play free, and [Head] Coach Jay Wright is a great coach, so it's a win- situation." Regarding when he will narrow his list, the sophomore standout told me, "I hope to cut down my list soon, but I'm also open to everyone, and I hope for more schools to come into the mix." So Gibbs is not near committing, right? "Yeah, I'm going to take my time and work my way through the process."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl_YZl2H1ng#

I am always seeing "highlight" flims of these kids. Wouldn't it be interesting to see some "lowlight" videos as well? :D

Here is a concept. Go to see some games! You can go to a tournament for 1 day and see a majority of these kids play.

Dave... it appears that I got you mad. FYI... It was meant as a joke.

I usually see a handful of games a year at Christ The King (I went there). However, I haven't within the last year due to the birth of my son.

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 10:44:36 AM »
http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009/05/29/usa-development-team-player-quotes-s-gibbs--j-mcadoo-recruiting-updates.aspx

Sterling Gibbs listed Seton Hall, Villanova, Pitt, Indiana, Louisville, St. John's, UConn, Florida, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Rutgers. The speedy point guard added, "Indiana, Pitt, Seton Hall, and Rutgers have offered." Even though Sterling's older brother, Ashton Gibbs, plays at Pitt, the Panthers are not his favorite. "At this point, Villanova is in the lead," stated Gibbs. Why is that? "Because I like the way their guards play free, and [Head] Coach Jay Wright is a great coach, so it's a win- situation." Regarding when he will narrow his list, the sophomore standout told me, "I hope to cut down my list soon, but I'm also open to everyone, and I hope for more schools to come into the mix." So Gibbs is not near committing, right? "Yeah, I'm going to take my time and work my way through the process."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl_YZl2H1ng#

I am always seeing "highlight" flims of these kids. Wouldn't it be interesting to see some "lowlight" videos as well? :D

Here is a concept. Go to see some games! You can go to a tournament for 1 day and see a majority of these kids play.

Dave... it appears that I got you mad. FYI... It was meant as a joke.

I usually see a handful of games a year at Christ The King (I went there). However, I haven't within the last year due to the birth of my son.

Sorry I didn't mean to come across mad. It really wasn't intended to be. If you don't want to see exclusively highlight tapes on these kids though then I do suggest going out to a game/tournament one weekend.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 11:52:02 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/07/15/sterling-gibbs-may-decide-this-summer-team-njabc-wins-joe-brown-memorial-tournament/#more-19245

After scoring 16 points and grabbing 6 rebounds in the New York Panthers 59-58 semifinal loss to Team NJABC at the Joe Brown Memorial Tournament, Gibbs said he plans to take unofficial visits this summer to Oklahoma, Indiana, Villanova, Kentucky and Duke.

His father, Temple Gibbs, said his son could decide later this summer.

“We want to make a commitment by the end of the summer. I just want to get him set,” Temple said.

gonzalo

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 04:57:07 AM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/11/15/sterling-gibbs-talks-recruiting/

Class of 2011 guard taking time and letting recruiting process play out

NBE Sports caught up with Seton Hall Prep junior point guard Sterling Gibbs earlier this week to see how things are going for the 6-foot-2, 180-pound, class of 2011 prospect. Once thought as a potential player that could make a decision early in the recruiting process, Gibbs seems more content to let things play out, at least through his junior season.

“St. John’s, Maryland, Seton Hall, Rutgers, Virginia, Pitt, Indiana, Tennesse and Providence,” responded Gibbs when NBE asked which schools are actively recruiting him.

While he has not taken any visits of late, Gibbs was expecting to be on a Big East campus for at least part of this weekend.

“I haven’t taken any recent visits but I plan on visiting Pitt this weekend for their opening game,” Gibbs said.

Of course Pittsburgh is where Sterling’s older brother Ashton is a sophomore guard. Ashton scored eight points in Pitt’s 63-60 season opening win over Wofford Friday night.

While Sterling has a strong connection with Pittsburgh and an impressive listing of schools chasing after him, he is not thinking of deciding anytime soon.

“I plan on making my decsion after my junior season but if it takes longer I’m willing to wait,” said Gibbs.

For now, Gibbs will concentrate on his junior season with Seton Hall Prep of West Orange (NJ) where he plays for long-time head coach Bob Farrell, who has won more than 700 games in his coaching career. The night he won #700 is also a special night in the Gibbs family as it was the night Ashton broke Keven McDonald’s all-time school scoring record of 1,774 points late in the 2007-2008 season. it is a record that Sterling could threaten before his SHP career is over.

When it comes time to make a decision, Gibbs has a pretty good idea of the factors that will influence his decision. After seeing an older brother navigate his way through the process, expect Sterling to have a sound plan as his works towards a decision.

“I want a family enviorment, good education, good playing style and somewhere where I know I’ll be able to make an impact and play my game,” Gibbs said of the factors that will play an important role when he makes a decision.

NBE will certainly see Sterling Gibbs and his Seton Hall Prep teamates this season and you can follow along with us on his progress on the court and with his recruitment.

gonzalo

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 05:21:15 AM »
http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100113&content_id=7913762&oid=2&vkey=21

Davontay Grace, a junior point guard at Brooklyn Thomas Jefferson who orally committed to St. John's, said he plans to call Seton Hall Prep junior point guard Sterling Gibbs to try to persuade him to join him in Queens in 2011.

"Yeah, yeah definitely," Grace said. "I just got his number."

Grace said the St. John's staff would like to play Grace and Gibbs together the way Villanova plays two point guards in the backcourt.

"They're talking about playing us together, like Scottie Reynolds and Corey Fisher," Grace said.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »
This kid is a lock for Pitt.

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 09:56:05 PM »
This kid is a lock for Pitt.

No he's not.

I really like Sterling's game a lot. Always like watching him play.

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2010, 03:35:25 AM »
Who would u guys compare his game to?

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2010, 03:49:05 AM »
Hmmm tough to say....

http://johnnyjungle.com/recruiting/2011-class/sterling-gibbs/

What I like about Sterling is his basketball IQ is high. He had a few turnovers when I saw him but he was making passes and the guys he was playing with didn't even see the passing lanes. Sterling was making plays before they even happened. He was simply on another level than his teammates.

I'm trying to think of a player to compare him to but I'm drawing blanks. Sterling can score either shooting or driving. He's a crafty player who doesn't play above the rim but definitely has a knack for scoring while also having the ability to find open teammates.

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2010, 07:09:39 PM »
Ok cool, the thing that stood out to me in that quote up there is "HIS BASKETBALL IQ IS HIGH" .  Sheesh, watching these guys play sometimes it amazes me how uneducated they can be on the court.  That's something you really can't teach.  Hopefully we come out on top and land him.

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 12:18:12 AM »
Committed to Maryland via Facebook and then Zags

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/04/26/sterling-gibbs-to-maryland/

kob24

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 12:51:56 AM »
norm could of had him

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 02:20:04 AM »
Damn I really wanted Sterling. I like him a lot. He's going to be really good at Maryland. Damn they're scooping up NY talent left and right.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 07:45:53 AM »
Norm could have had him? Come on now Kob.

kob24

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »
he could had. that is oz cross player

Poison

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 01:20:14 PM »
he could had. that is oz cross player

Maybe he would have visited here, but would he have chosen us over Maryland? Under what circumstance would that have happened?

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 01:49:37 PM »
Damn I really wanted Sterling. I like him a lot. He's going to be really good at Maryland. Damn they're scooping up NY talent left and right.

The irony being that they can't get anyone off of the two major AAU programs within 12-15 miles of their campus, which, by the way, doesn't look as good as St. John's.

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 05:43:30 PM »
norm could of had him

Are you sayin if Norm was still here, Sterling Gibbs would be coming?

boo3

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 05:54:28 PM »
norm could of had him

Are you sayin if Norm was still here, Sterling Gibbs would be coming?
::)