Davontay Grace - PG - Thomas Jefferson HS - Brooklyn, NY - MANHATTAN

• 157 replies

Moose

Re: Davontay Grace - PG - Thomas Jefferson HS - Brooklyn, NY - MANHATTAN
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2011, 12:24:42 PM »
Former St. John's and Manhattan commit Davontay Grace will reclassify and prep next season at CJEOTO.

http://twitter.com/#!/FlyerHoops/status/76134467802120192

Will he be collecting social security by the time he gets to a college? :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

LJSA

« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2011, 01:51:16 PM »
How come Norm isn't bringing him to Florida?

« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2011, 02:04:14 PM »
I asked the CW Post coaches about Grace and they didn't even want him.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

LJSA

« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2011, 02:33:39 PM »

That's brutal. I can't believe Norm recruited this guy.

Moose

« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2011, 02:51:22 PM »

That's brutal. I can't believe Norm recruited this guy.

AKA a Norm assistant :)

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2011, 03:46:15 PM »
Damn, that's sad.

SJUFAN

« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2011, 02:55:30 AM »
Damn, that's sad.
It is and it makes you wonder why Norm was even recruiting him. Norm ran this program like a mid-major plane and simple. I don't believe Norm even tried to recruit top 50 kids unless they were in the city. He didn't think STJ had anything to offer, that's why he failed as a recruiter for us.   

Gumby

« Reply #147 on: June 04, 2011, 09:22:43 AM »
When Coach Roberts was hired I believe we all thought his main attribute was recruiting.  After all, he was Coach Self's main recruiting coach at a few schools. 

So what happened?  As others have stated in the past, it was really Coach Self's reputation that was the key selling point, much like it will be for Coach Lavin.

However, I would have thought that Coach Roberts would have been skilled enough to land (and keep) some top 100 players.  The critical time for him was in his first two years when he could have possibly sold recruits on a brand new basketball image at St. John's, much like Coach Lavin has done in less than a year.

We all know that Coach Roberts failed in those initial two years.  For the rest of his tenure, I agree that he acted like a mid major school coach.  All the stuff he espoused about us not being able to recruit was garbage.  It was not the school, but the man.

MCNPA

« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2011, 09:35:37 AM »
When Coach Roberts was hired I believe we all thought his main attribute was recruiting.  After all, he was Coach Self's main recruiting coach at a few schools. 

So what happened?  As others have stated in the past, it was really Coach Self's reputation that was the key selling point, much like it will be for Coach Lavin.

However, I would have thought that Coach Roberts would have been skilled enough to land (and keep) some top 100 players.  The critical time for him was in his first two years when he could have possibly sold recruits on a brand new basketball image at St. John's, much like Coach Lavin has done in less than a year.

We all know that Coach Roberts failed in those initial two years.  For the rest of his tenure, I agree that he acted like a mid major school coach.  All the stuff he espoused about us not being able to recruit was garbage.  It was not the school, but the man.

No doubt.  Lavin comes along after almost a decade in broadcasting, and kids from all over including the gets ones from NYC are falling over each other to play at SJU.  Norm used excuses for a long time, and thought that "hard work" was the answer to lack of talent and lack of coaching prowess.  Hard work is necessary, but talent is more important.

« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2011, 10:17:57 AM »

We all know that Coach Roberts failed in those initial two years.  For the rest of his tenure, I agree that he acted like a mid major school coach.

All the stuff he espoused about us not being able to recruit was garbage.  It was not the school, but the man.

Norm failed in two areas, recruiting and developing any decent talent he brought in.  The only kids who developed were those who transferred out. Too bad some of this years seniors couldn't get another year under this coaching staff. When you think about it, players like Hardy and Brownlee only had one year of instruction.  >:(
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:32:57 AM by jumpinjohnny »

Poison

« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »
Hey realfan, I think you're being too hard on Norm. He was a nice man.

« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2011, 06:34:54 PM »
Hey realfan, I think you're being too hard on Norm. He was a nice man.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Moose

« Reply #152 on: June 06, 2011, 03:45:12 PM »
I never even heard of the 1st two schools.  Dayton?  Sorry but IF he had offer from Dayton and A-10 he should be running down there.  Ain't gonna get much better than that.

http://nychoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1228149

Coach Pollard said that Grace chose to attend the Prep School even though he had offers. "Davontay had offers from Townsend, Texas Southern and Dayton but he told me he thinks he can do better" said Pollard.

Gumby

« Reply #153 on: June 06, 2011, 04:07:23 PM »
Do better???

Davontay, take the scholarship and make something of yourself!  You are not going to the NBA.  Get a good education, so you can have a good life away from the court.

pmg911

« Reply #154 on: October 11, 2011, 02:51:55 PM »
does anyone know where this kid is now..?

Moose

« Reply #155 on: October 11, 2011, 03:15:42 PM »
does anyone know where this kid is now..?

Here is the most recent thing I found on Google.

http://www.hoopgroup.com/hoopgroup/tournaments/live-blog-day-1-of-fall-jam-fest.php/

Beacon Prep (GA) is headlined by former St. John’s and Manhattan commit, point guard Davontay Grace.

Grace is an interesting case because his skill alone could land him at a solid basketball school. The problem is, though, that he has been plagued by academic issues, as well as questions about his weight.

But, there is no denying that he has a solid foundation of skills. He has a strong crossover and can get into the lane and finish creatively at the rim. He is built similarly to LeVance Fields, formerly of the University of Pittsburgh: a large guard who can use his body well.

pmg911

« Reply #156 on: October 12, 2011, 09:08:12 AM »
Kid had some talent but had had academic issues since grammar school. He might be 21 and entering college as a Freshman...   something wrong with that picture.

Comparing him to LeVance is just not fair, LeVance was lightning quick with the ball in his hands

Moose

« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »
Where did this kid land?