Big East one season ago?

“Winning this year,” senior swingman Anthony Mason Jr. said. “That’s
gonna be the difference.”

There are factors that will go into turning the tide. St. John’s, which
was selected 14th in the 16-team Big East preseason coaches’ poll, will
need those seven sophomores to do some growing up, especially power
forward Justin Burrell. Coach Norm Roberts has seen improvements in
every one of them, so far.

“We don’t have anymore Daddy Day Care,” the coach joked.

Roberts, in his fifth year, kept it light-hearted Wednesday at the
school’s annual basketball media day. But chances are he’ll get tough
when the season starts Nov. 14 against Long Island University – tougher
than he was last year, he conceded. If players aren’t following
instructions and filling their roles, he won’t be hesitant to yank them
from the game now.

“If you’re not doing it, we’ll get someone in there who could do it,”
Roberts said.

Every one of the Red Storm players stayed in Queens this summer to work
out together and train with strength and conditioning coach Pat Dixon.
Roberts thinks that will pay immediate dividends. Dele Coker, who
perhaps benefited the most, lost 20 pounds and has gained a tremendous
amount of agility, the coach said.

The sophomore from Nigeria will probably be the team’s sixth man,
backing up fellow sophomore Sean Evans. That will depend on match-ups,
though, according to Roberts. Burrell, Mason, D.J. Kennedy and Malik
Boothe will round out the Red Storm’s likely starting lineup. Sophomore
guard Paris Horne should also see significant minutes off the bench for
St. John’s.

“I don’t know if I can give you any significant numbers,” Roberts said,
“but I know we’re gonna be better.”

The climb up the Big East ladder is a tough one. Eight teams from the
conference made the NCAA tournament last year and three teams are in
the AP Poll’s top five in the country to start the season.

That’s a source of concern, but at least everyone – except for three
freshmen, Quincy Roberts, Tyshwan Edmondson and Phil Wait – know what
to expect now. That wasn’t the case last year.

“The expectations will be higher,” Roberts said. “They know how much
harder they have to work now. They realize in the Big East that’s how
it is.”

There was a lot of talk about roles on the team recently and Roberts
says St. John’s needs Mason to score double figures every game and
Burrell to put up a double-double almost every night. The Red Storm
struggled last year when they had players filling roles they weren’t
accustomed to or effective in.

Being picked second from the bottom doesn’t mean much to the Red Storm.
Mason and Boothe said it was just a number. But it could be used as a
source of motivation.

“When you haven’t accomplished anything,” Roberts said, “you shouldn’t
expect to be ranked high.”
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:17:17 AM by NYCbuckeye »

sjd8886

Re: No more 'Daddy Day Care' for St. John's men's hoops
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 10:21:45 AM »
i have a slightly higher amount of respect for him for this line.............

i've been one of many on this board to bash his coaching but i always said hes a good guy and im glad he doesnt bs whats been goin on too much...as a coach u cant just say these types of things everyday, a majority of the time u have to spin something in a positive way, but to every now and again say something like this takes some guts...as much as i want a new coach, ill continue to hope this guy can turn it around and start coaching well enough to win, and stay at st johns, bc if he can learn to actually coach a game, he'll be very good for this school, bc he's always had the right attitude off the court

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 11:38:54 AM »
vey nice read...hopefully this team will live up to their potential

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:36:38 PM »
i have a slightly higher amount of respect for him for this line.............

i've been one of many on this board to bash his coaching but i always said hes a good guy and im glad he doesnt bs whats been goin on too much...as a coach u cant just say these types of things everyday, a majority of the time u have to spin something in a positive way, but to every now and again say something like this takes some guts...as much as i want a new coach, ill continue to hope this guy can turn it around and start coaching well enough to win, and stay at st johns, bc if he can learn to actually coach a game, he'll be very good for this school, bc he's always had the right attitude off the court
FH should have said "when you haven't accomplished anything...you shouldn't expect to coach at a major division 1 school"

i don't see guts.  i see another excuse from someone who has to explain why, in year five, we're ranked at or near the bottom everywhere.  he has a lifetime contract.  no guts needed here.

we're going into year five and you're posting that you hope he can actually coach a game.  that says it all.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 03:25:24 PM »

FH should have said "when you haven't accomplished anything...you shouldn't expect to coach at a major division 1 school"

i don't see guts.  i see another excuse from someone who has to explain why, in year five, we're ranked at or near the bottom everywhere.  he has a lifetime contract.  no guts needed here.

we're going into year five and you're posting that you hope he can actually coach a game.  that says it all.
He is realistically not giving a number to shoot for because it would then be something that alumni, fans, and writers can point to if and when he fails to achieve the stated goal.  It may be for career preservation, not to put undue pressure on his team, or both.

I have very little faith in Fr. Harrington or Chris Monasch.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 04:07:47 PM »
What coach in America predicts how many wins they will have in the upcoming season? Please someone find me one?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 04:17:12 PM »
From last night's red white party...

Apparently, they played a mature game against Drexel. That is what they came away with from it.

Phil Wait is a soph. That we heard from Roberts. He's over 21. It's a rule.
Hhe's a year away from really being able to contribute, BUT that he's an athlete.

Rob Thomas brought up in the Q and A.

Sadly, Rob Thomas will never be the athletic freak that we had signed years ago.
Roberts said the damage to his knee, and overall weight gain will prevent it from happening.

He did say that Rob Thomas would be able to help us, despite his knee.

Sean Evans was the answer given when asked Norm, who is the player that will surprise us the most? He also said that right now, Evans is starting over Coker, and Tomas.

Not sure if there was a media day yesterday of any kind, but when Roberts took the mic,
he opened with that daycare line.

When asked if the kids were aware that the NIT would be a great way to put a claim on MSG for the season, he said this:

The kids really don't feel that the Garden is their home, because of the inconsistent practicing that the Garden gives the team. He said it makes a huge difference in how they play. 

Norm is very happy with Boothe. Said he will be as good a defender as there is in the Big East. Likes that the ENTIRE team stayed at SJU to get better. DJ Kennedy is shooting 500 jump shots per day. EVERYONE is stronger, and slimmer.

Not as much talk about Mason and Burrell. Did say he said he's looking for Mase to be the go to guy.
Talked a bit about Coker's weight loss.

gonzalo

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 11:51:36 AM »

Apparently, they played a mature game against Drexel. That is what they came away with from it.

Hhe's a year away from really being able to contribute, BUT that he's an athlete.

Sadly, Rob Thomas will never be the athletic freak that we had signed years ago.
Roberts said the damage to his knee, and overall weight gain will prevent it from happening.

Sean Evans was the answer given when asked Norm, who is the player that will surprise us the most? He also said that right now, Evans is starting over Coker, and Tomas.

Not sure if there was a media day yesterday of any kind, but when Roberts took the mic,

When asked if the kids were aware that the NIT would be a great way to put a claim on MSG for the season, he said this:

The kids really don't feel that the Garden is their home, because of the inconsistent practicing that the Garden gives the team. He said it makes a huge difference in how they play. 

Norm is very happy with Boothe. Said he will be as good a defender as there is in the Big East. Likes that the ENTIRE team stayed at SJU to get better. DJ Kennedy is shooting 500 jump shots per day. EVERYONE is stronger, and slimmer.

Not as much talk about Mason and Burrell. Did say he said he's looking for Mase to be the go to guy.

Thanks for the report.

According to the rosters of 2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons Coker has the same weight: 270 lbs.

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 12:19:01 PM »
With everyone raving about Coker's physical changes. However, Evans is still starting over him (at least for now). That has to tell you that Norm is confident in his skills as a C.

gonzalo

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 06:50:01 AM »

According to the rosters of 2007-08 and 2008-09 seasons Coker has the same weight: 270 lbs.

The weights of the players have changed. There are new comments about the players:

http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/stjo-m-baskbl-mtt.html

Poison

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 08:29:41 AM »

Thanks for the report.

I think that's nothing more than a proofreading issue.