Lenn Robbins - 'AYE' OF THE STORM

• 4 replies
Lenn Robbins - 'AYE' OF THE STORM
« on: November 06, 2008, 11:47:58 AM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/11062008/sports/moresports/aye_of_the_storm_137276.htm

The momentum generated by Barack Obama's election as next president of the United States is sweeping the St. John's campus. When asked if St. John's could win at least 18 games this season, something it hasn't done since 2002-03, Red Storm coach Norm Roberts all but shouted, "Yes, We Can!"

"I would hope we can get there," Roberts said. "I'm not definitely going to say that could happen."

That's because the Big East is the deepest league in the nation. Although North Carolina is the undisputed preseason No. 1, no conference offers as talented and diverse an array of teams as the Big East.

The keys to success in the league have always been experience and toughness, which often go hand in hand.

Roberts returns seven sophomores, led by centers Dele Coker and Sean Evans, who took their lumps as freshmen last season. Swingman Anthony Mason Jr. and reserve center Tomas Jasiulionis are the team's only seniors.

"We don't have daddy day care anymore," Roberts said.

There will be three keys to the season. Mason Jr. finally appears healthy and must produce like a first-team All-Big East player. Justin Burrell must be a double-double player. And at least one of two freshmen - Quincy Roberts and TyShwan Edmondson - must emerge as a viable backup to Malik Boothe at point guard.

The Red Storm, picked 14th out of 16 in the coaches' preseason poll after an 11-19 (5-13 Big East) finish last season, opens the season Nov. 14 against LIU.

"Every year in the Big East, something different happens," Roberts said. "A team comes from where people didn't think they were going to be."

Can St. John's be that team?

"If we play to our roles and shoot the ball well, we can," he said.

Hey, no one gave Obama a shot at the start either.

lenn.robbins@nypost.com

Re: Lenn Robbins - 'AYE' OF THE STORM
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 11:52:16 AM »
I think Robbins wrote this while taking a dump. Poor effort

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 11:52:47 AM »
im not sure if norm heard the question properly.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:29:51 PM »
he said "18 wins between this year and next...yes we can"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 12:35:25 PM »
I think Robbins wrote this while taking a dump. Poor effort
I'd like to see more out of Robbins and the Post as well.