Fact or Fiction: Will DJ Kennedy out rebound Justin Burrell during OOC Schedule?

• 18 replies
Both are averaging 5.7rpg through 3 games.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

Abso-freakin-lutely!!!!!

My boy Kennedy is about to go ape-sh'it on the boards the next few weeks.

How about can Mase outrebound Boothe? Right now Arnold Jackson is outrebounding Brick jr

Prediction: Burrell 7.2 before Big East play
               Kennedy 6.3 before Big East play

13 boards for DJ

2 for Burrell

whats up?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

13 boards for DJ

2 for Burrell

whats up?

DJ has more will than anyone on the court.  He's like Jared Dudley.  I think he should get a lot of minutes at the four next year in a small, running lineup.  You want to keep your best guys on the court and it just may be the case that our best frontcourt is Kennedy and Evans.

13 boards for DJ

2 for Burrell

whats up?

DJ has more will than anyone on the court. 

With the exception of Evans, I agree.  Although DJ was somewhat slow to get to a number of loose balls today.  Somewhat surprising.

Marillac

13 boards for DJ

2 for Burrell

whats up?

With the exception of Evans, I agree.  Although DJ was somewhat slow to get to a number of loose balls today.  Somewhat surprising.

13 boards for DJ

2 for Burrell

whats up?

35 pt blowouts tend to do that.  I'm sure Norm told all his players, DJ and Evans specifically, not to kill themselves after the half.

13 boards for DJ

2 for Burrell

whats up?

DJ has more will than anyone on the court.  He's like Jared Dudley.  I think he should get a lot of minutes at the four next year in a small, running lineup.  You want to keep your best guys on the court and it just may be the case that our best frontcourt is Kennedy and Evans.

against tougher competition, DJ's productivity will suffer as it did last year. He is a nice complimentary player, nothing more. 

sjd8886

13 boards for DJ

2 for Burrell

whats up?

against tougher competition, DJ's productivity will suffer as it did last year. He is a nice complimentary player, nothing more. 

his production will go down in big east play, but so does everyone elses...hes the go to guy on the perimeter now and our first to second best scoring option, so he should put up some good numbers this year...and if he doesn't, we are quite screwed

I like Kennedy and Horne too for that matter and I think both would be solid rotation guys on ANY BE team. Neither however should be leading players on a BE team. Mason jr wasn't a leading guy either for that matter, and in fact on a good team I think both Horne and Kennedy would both be better fits than Mase. Really Burrell was supposed to be the guy, but due to both Slappy's misuse and his own lack of intensity, it doesnot look like it will happen for him

*Sorry for the edit i hit it instead of Quote -kjd
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 11:09:44 AM by kjd01067 »

kjd01067

I agree with you on DJ, Horne and Mase but I want to see a few more games before I write JB off .  His performance so far has been not what anyone really expected out of him coming off a good freshman year.  Hopefully JB is able to get it going without Mase throwing up ridiculous 3s and hogging the ball.

I agree with you on DJ, Horne and Mase but I want to see a few more games before I write JB off .  His performance so far has been not what anyone really expected out of him coming off a good freshman year.  Hopefully JB is able to get it going without Mase throwing up ridiculous 3s and hogging the ball.

Burrell is a fine player and if he stays for 4 years I am sure he will get better, just not sure he has the intensity to get to the next level. I think you are born with that, it doesn't just develope. And if it could be developed, Slappy is not the coach to bring it out in someone.

Marillac

When you say "without Mase throwing up ridiculous 3s and hogging the ball" you realize this is because of the coach right?  Mason played on a VERY talented high school team and AAU program that both won and he was just one of the guys.  Since his soph year here Norm has been telling him--publicly even--to carry the scoring load.

That is not his game.  We would all love this kid if he was Robin instead of Batman.  He is our best payer--make not mistake about that--but he doesn't have the skillset to be a guy that constantly beats double teams to score points.  He is a guy that could easily averag 14 pts and 7 boards hitting the offensive glass, taking open three's (he is a very good shooter), playing in transition, and taking midrange shots against one man (not threee). 

This talk of us being better without Mason is patently ridiculous.  He is our most talented player and a legit top 50-75 recruit.  We keep whining about getting recruits like that when we misuse them when we get them?  How good would Bruce Bowen be if the Spurs asked him to score 30 a game?   

What's next, are we going to ask Dwight Hardy to play center?

JB gonna get the eye of the tiger. Like Rocky. Best believe.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

kjd01067

When you say "without Mase throwing up ridiculous 3s and hogging the ball" you realize this is because of the coach right?  Mason played on a VERY talented high school team and AAU program that both won and he was just one of the guys.  Since his soph year here Norm has been telling him--publicly even--to carry the scoring load.

That is not his game.  We would all love this kid if he was Robin instead of Batman.  He is our best payer--make not mistake about that--but he doesn't have the skillset to be a guy that constantly beats double teams to score points.  He is a guy that could easily averag 14 pts and 7 boards hitting the offensive glass, taking open three's (he is a very good shooter), playing in transition, and taking midrange shots against one man (not threee). 

This talk of us being better without Mason is patently ridiculous.  He is our most talented player and a legit top 50-75 recruit.  We keep whining about getting recruits like that when we misuse them when we get them?  How good would Bruce Bowen be if the Spurs asked him to score 30 a game?   

I agree with most everything you said but my point about JB hopefully playing better without Mase is based on how I feel the offense moves without Mase in the game.  When Mase is in the game the offense looks stagnat with people looking to get him the ball.  Mase is without a doubt our best player BUT do i feel we play as a team better without him yes.  That being said do I think we will win more games without Mase than we would with him no.

I agree with most everything you said but my point about JB hopefully playing better without Mase is based on how I feel the offense moves without Mase in the game.  When Mase is in the game the offense looks stagnat with people looking to get him the ball.  Mase is without a doubt our best player BUT do i feel we play as a team better without him yes.  That being said do I think we will win more games without Mase than we would with him no.

I was told last year that team did not like playing with Mase jr. So maybe a Marbury type thing addition by subtraction?

sjd8886

he should be able to be the go to guy by now...3 years experience, u expect some sort of improvement and judgment on the court...kid throwing up bricks all game and not driving to the hoop is a lacking in mason...u cant blame norm for anything other than not screaming his head off at mason every game...i think i should say again why evans is my favorite player on this team...the kid will bust his ass every play, and has the balls to drive to the basket against anyone, even though he has a 4th of the talent of a guy like burrell...some he makes, some he misses, but in the end, u cant ever say anything bad about evans...mason however, well....

Marillac

he should be able to be the go to guy by now...3 years experience, u expect some sort of improvement and judgment on the court...kid throwing up bricks all game and not driving to the hoop is a lacking in mason...u cant blame norm for anything other than not screaming his head off at mason every game...i think i should say again why evans is my favorite player on this team...the kid will bust his ass every play, and has the balls to drive to the basket against anyone, even though he has a 4th of the talent of a guy like burrell...some he makes, some he misses, but in the end, u cant ever say anything bad about evans...mason however, well....

He is not a guy that can CREATE a shot against double teams.  It's that simple.  When he can set his feet and shoot an open three he is very good. When his shot is falling, he can take his man to the hole and pullup for a ver good midrange jumper.  He's not a guy that can dribble by guys and beat two to three men every possession when defenses key on him.  That's what Norm wants him to do and he could be here for 10 years and not be that player.

A good coach would utilize his length and athleticism and shooting ability.  He's not good off the dribble--big deal?  Play to his strengths.  Why is he even allowed to fire those horrible fadeaway three's off the dribble? 

It's not fair that he has to shoulder the load because Norm cannot draw up plays to get the guys better shots.