Mason out for the year!

• 31 replies
Mason out for the year!
« on: November 21, 2008, 09:58:20 PM »
Hoping to get a medical red shirt!  Wow...not good!

http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/112108aah.html

St. John's Mason Jr. To Undergo Season-Ending Foot Surgery

Red Storm swingman to be sidelined as torn tendon is rehabilitated.

Nov. 21, 2008

QUEENS, N.Y. - St. John's All-BIG EAST senior swingman Anthony Mason Jr. will miss the rest of the 2008-09 season, head men's basketball coach Norm Roberts announced on Friday night. Mason Jr. will undergo surgery to repair a torn peroneal tendon in his right foot.

"We are all disappointed and feel for Anthony," said Roberts. "This is an unfortunate situation, but it is part of the game. We believe that Mase will come back from this, a stronger player and a stronger person."

Mason Jr. suffered the injury during this week's NIT Season Tip-Off Opening Rounds and a MRI and ultrasound of the foot on Friday afternoon revealed the extent of the injury. John Kennedy, M.D., of the Hospital for Special Surgery in Manhattan performed the examination on Friday. Last Tuesday Mason Jr. had received a MRI and ultrasound examination as well, both of which did not indicate a tear in the tendon.

Kennedy, who performed surgery on Mason Jr.'s left ankle in April 2008, will perform the corrective surgery on Mason Jr.'s foot, tentatively scheduled for Dec. 1, but it may be pushed back until after St. John's fall semester final exams. Rehabilitation from the surgery is expected to last approximately three months.

"I am obviously disappointed, but I am going to make the best of this situation," said Mason Jr. "I am going to look into getting my year back, and use the time to rehab and work on my game. I'll be with my teammates every step of the way this season, watch as our chemistry develops and have a good year, and look forward to an even better year next year."

Mason Jr. led the Red Storm in the NIT opening rounds earlier in the week, scoring 18.0 points per game across the two contests and making 44.4 percent of his field goals.

He averaged a team-best 14.0 ppg in 22 contests a season ago, and stepped up his production in BIG EAST contests by scoring 15.7 ppg. His ability to fill up the stat sheet did not go unnoticed, as he earned honorable mention All-BIG EAST honors and first team All-Met accolades from the Metropolitan Basketball Writers Association (MBWA).

After scoring six points in St. John's season-opening win over LIU, he followed with a 24-point effort against Cornell (Nov. 17) and a 12-point game against Boston College (Nov. 18). He now ranks sixth on the St. John's all-time 3-point shooting chart with 109 career 3-point field goals.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 09:59:13 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Randomhero423

Re: Mason out for the year!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:02:30 PM »
hope he gets better.

so i guess no lance?

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 10:07:36 PM »
hope he gets better.

so i guess no lance?

I still can't believe what I just read.  Unreal...feel bad for him.

Randomhero423

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:09:42 PM »
that really came out of nowhere.  wowwwwwww

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:13:23 PM »
that really came out of nowhere.  wowwwwwww

I meant the fact he got hurt...not your post. 

Randomhero423

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:14:21 PM »
i know.  the injury came outta nowhere.  i didn't hear any rumblings about it or anything.  he didn't seem like he was suffering an injury that bad.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 10:29:27 PM »
Stream of conciousness immediate reactions:

The program is snakebit.

Mase's feet are made of glass.

At least they'll be able to start two guards now.

Justin's ankle is probably going to go backwards next and then Malik's hip will then spontaneously combust.

Paris and Quincy are going to have to step up more than most of us believe they can to keep BE games even competitive.

I think I made a bad investment in the Full Court package, even at early bird rates and a $10 additional discount for cable company ineptitude.

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:32:05 PM »
hope he gets better.

so i guess no lance?

You keep posting this and I keep telling you that we can make room for Lance!  Scholarships are not guaranteed and are renewed year to year.  If Lance commits it is as simple as "Sorry Mr. Roberts and Mr. Edmonson, your scholarships will not be continued next year."

Randomhero423

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 10:32:42 PM »
Stream of conciousness immediate reactions:

The program is snakebit.

Mase's feet are made of glass.

At least they'll be able to start two guards now.

Justin's ankle is probably going to go backwards next and then Malik's hip will then spontaneously combust.

Paris and Quincy are going to have to step up more than most of us believe they can to keep BE games even competitive.

I think I made a bad investment in the Full Court package, even at early bird rates and a $10 additional discount for cable company ineptitude.

if your a NYK fan watch the top prospects.  

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 10:34:13 PM »
hope he gets better.

so i guess no lance?

You keep posting this and I keep telling you that we can make room for Lance!  Scholarships are not guaranteed and are renewed year to year.  If Lance commits it is as simple as "Sorry Mr. Roberts and Mr. Edmonson, your scholarships will not be continued next year."

Good Luck handing out the next scholarship if thats the way the coach treats them.

It may work for Calhoun but Norm's not Calhoun.

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 10:37:21 PM »
i know.  the injury came outta nowhere.  i didn't hear any rumblings about it or anything.  he didn't seem like he was suffering an injury that bad.

Rumblings???
Did you happen to watch any games played so far this season???

Did you happen to hear Norm and the TV talking heads mentioning his foot is hurt?

This really should not come as a surprise. Yes, season ending is more severe than expected, but most expected him to sit down for a few weeks.

Poison

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 10:42:54 PM »
unbelievable, but so is st.john's.

Randomhero423

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 10:47:48 PM »

Rumblings???
Did you happen to watch any games played so far this season???

Did you happen to hear Norm and the TV talking heads mentioning his foot is hurt?

This really should not come as a surprise. Yes, season ending is more severe than expected, but most expected him to sit down for a few weeks.

it seemed like a nagging injury.  no one said it's something sevre.  norm said he was 80%.  how does a guy go from 80% to 0%?  that's a surprise.  but of course you want to get on me for everything humanly possible for some odd reason.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 10:48:16 PM »
hope he gets better.

so i guess no lance?

Good Luck handing out the next scholarship if thats the way the coach treats them.

It may work for Calhoun but Norm's not Calhoun.

It doesn't have to be public like that.  It can be handled better.  Sitting down with the players and telling them that with Mase coming back and Omari, Lance, and Hardy coming in they will not get playing time and it would be best for them to transfer if they want to play.  The coach can put in a good word to another team and help them find a better fit.

It's not like they come from programs that we want to establish a pipeline with.

Besides, do you really think we would not get recruits simply because Lance came here?  It's as simple as pointing to an NBA player and saying we helped him get there.  

We would gain more recruits by landing Lance then we would ever lose by not renewing two scholarships to out of state marginal talents.

Marillac

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 10:49:57 PM »
Two questions now:

1. Is this ANOTHER excuse for Norm to stay coach here?

2. Does Norm or the next coach bring Mason back?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 11:04:44 PM by Marillac »

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2008, 10:54:52 PM »
Two questions now:

1. Is this ANOTHER excuse for to stay coach here?

2. Does Norm or the next coach bring Mason back?

1.  You bet it is.
2.  I find it hard to believe they wouldn't.

LJSA

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2008, 11:33:10 PM »
It doesn't have to be public like that.  It can be handled better.  Sitting down with the players and telling them that with Mase coming back and Omari, Lance, and Hardy coming in they will not get playing time and it would be best for them to transfer if they want to play.  The coach can put in a good word to another team and help them find a better fit.

It's not like they come from programs that we want to establish a pipeline with.

Besides, do you really think we would not get recruits simply because Lance came here?  It's as simple as pointing to an NBA player and saying we helped him get there.  

We would gain more recruits by landing Lance then we would ever lose by not renewing two scholarships to out of state marginal talents.

I think Rob Thomas finishes his career playing under Tim Cluess. We'll see how much time Edmondson gets now that Mase is out, but for months I've had him on the fast track to a transfer.

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 12:51:38 AM »
Man this is killer but.....if he is able to come back next season, and we are able to get Lance some how, we could be pretty good.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:54:28 AM by Mparty7441 »

sjd8886

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 01:40:09 AM »
Man this is killer but.....if he is able to come back next season, and we are able to get Lance some how, we could be pretty good.

mase has never really shown the ability to be the go to guy for a stretch of more than a few games...kennedy has been playing better this season than mase has ever played...so im not really upset about this...however i do wish the kid a speedy recovery, i dont like to see anyone injured...btw, now would be a good time for rob thomas to step in...where is the kid? is he in shape? ready to play?

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 02:07:44 AM »

mase has never really shown the ability to be the go to guy for a stretch of more than a few games...kennedy has been playing better this season than mase has ever played...so im not really upset about this...however i do wish the kid a speedy recovery, i dont like to see anyone injured...btw, now would be a good time for rob thomas to step in...where is the kid? is he in shape? ready to play?

The key with Kennedy is can he do it against Big East teams?  He was very impressive last year against bad teams, but was 1/2 that during the conference schedule.

I just don't know who is going to score for us now.  I feel for Kennedy if he is going to be that guy by default.  It's one thing to score, it's another thing to carry a team and be the guy that defenses concentrate on. 

We are going to be cruising for a 9-10 win season now.  Hopefully it will be enough to get a new coach in here and not be an excuse to give this guy another year.

Oddly enough, this may help us with Lance.  Now Lance knows he'll be playing with a 5th year senior in Mason, JB, Malik, Hardy, Omari, and Kennedy.  Plus Mason's dad is a pretty popular guy in and it can't hurt to play with an NBA players son.