Rob Thomas

• 70 replies

kob24

Re: Pre - Game Discussion St. Francis NY @ St. John's
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2008, 05:02:35 AM »
choz don't fight with them u and I both know rob Thomas at one point was a top five player in the country. The boy was named MVP of abcd his hops was crazy. Some of these guys just read websites and get their info. They can't go to kingdoms or dyckmans or is8 for that matter. They be flooding these websites with false info and innacurate assessment of talent. But the guys who are in the streets and on the court with these kids they want to say we wrong. It's disgusting
You have a chip on your shoulder the size of the grand canyon, dude.  Rob Thomas was a helluva player back when he ws healthy and in shape, but to say he was top five in the country is just insane.  Fully healthy the guy accepted a scholarship to USF.  And I've seen the kid and so have several other people on these sites.
I'm still glad Thomas chose St. John's over South Florida.

Let him believe that Thomas was the next LeBron James
or that if you can write a complete sentence, you've never been to the IS8.
He's got his hooks into a current player. It allows him to be condescending.

boo boo don't even go there. I wouldn't call it hooks or a current player I helped put 5  of my own players in division one schools. More than u have. I have coaches against the Steve smiths and mo hicks of the basketball worlds. And have spoken with and visited the Roy Williams and ben howlands in this here game people u nut over to come to ur school. How bout this when is speak with coach about how he is recruiting my kid sterling Gibbs I'll ask him about marillacs and the sleevless guys basketball knowledge and find out if he is gonna higher y'all as coaches. But marillac probaly knows him and red auerbach and David stern. Damn puppys.  And yes pardon I am posted on the wall holding my nuts. And pardon the spelling but the iPhone is hard to write on

Marillac

Re: Pre - Game Discussion St. Francis NY @ St. John's
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2008, 03:29:33 PM »
choz don't fight with them u and I both know rob Thomas at one point was a top five player in the country. The boy was named MVP of abcd his hops was crazy. Some of these guys just read websites and get their info. They can't go to kingdoms or dyckmans or is8 for that matter. They be flooding these websites with false info and innacurate assessment of talent. But the guys who are in the streets and on the court with these kids they want to say we wrong. It's disgusting
You have a chip on your shoulder the size of the grand canyon, dude.  Rob Thomas was a helluva player back when he ws healthy and in shape, but to say he was top five in the country is just insane.  Fully healthy the guy accepted a scholarship to USF.  And I've seen the kid and so have several other people on these sites.
I'm still glad Thomas chose St. John's over South Florida.

Let him believe that Thomas was the next LeBron James
or that if you can write a complete sentence, you've never been to the IS8.
He's got his hooks into a current player. It allows him to be condescending.

boo boo don't even go there. I wouldn't call it hooks or a current player I helped put 5  of my own players in division one schools. More than u have. I have coaches against the Steve smiths and mo hicks of the basketball worlds. And have spoken with and visited the Roy Williams and ben howlands in this here game people u nut over to come to ur school. How bout this when is speak with coach about how he is recruiting my kid sterling Gibbs I'll ask him about marillacs and the sleevless guys basketball knowledge and find out if he is gonna higher y'all as coaches. But marillac probaly knows him and red auerbach and David stern. Damn puppys.  And yes pardon I am posted on the wall holding my nuts. And pardon the spelling but the iPhone is hard to write on

What do you even coach?  Aren't you just an assistant to a coach?  You need to learn how to take an opinion different than your own without acting like a fourth grader.  It's not like your so accomplished that your opinion should be placed that much higher than anyone else's.  I guarantee I've coached at a higher level than you.  My roster was almost entirely NYC kids and I have done plenty to scout and recruit them.  That doesn't make me a basketball guru at all, but to dismiss my posts as somebody that never saw these kids play is just wrong.

Re: Rob Thomas
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2008, 03:47:52 PM »
Ok enough back and forth please spare us all. If you want to compare your basketball accolades please do it over PM.

You are both good guys and if you two actually sat down with each other, I think you two would get along pretty good and would have some good stories to exchange but you are both getting a bit defensive for no reason...just squash it. We're on the same team.

Also do you both realize how lame it is to say over the internet I know more than you, I've done more than you, etc. If you have thats great but you should both be above this. What do you have to prove? Who cares?

Ok I'm done playing Dr. Phil
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2008, 04:03:01 PM »
Ok enough back and forth please spare us all. If you want to compare your basketball accolades please do it over PM.

You are both good guys and if you two actually sat down with each other, I think you two would get along pretty good and would have some good stories to exchange but you are both getting a bit defensive for no reason...just squash it. We're on the same team.

Also do you both realize how lame it is to say over the internet I know more than you, I've done more than you, etc. If you have thats great but you should both be above this. What do you have to prove? Who cares?

Ok I'm done playing Dr. Phil

If you read my posts, I don't ever claim to know more than him.  It hasn't been a back and forth of who is smarter at all.  The guy continues to call me out and insult me like a fourth grader whenever I have an opinion different from his. He accuses me of commenting on players that I've never seen play.  It's just wrong.

To put us both in the same category here is not right.  I haven't attacked him personally.

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2008, 06:24:24 PM »
Thomas actually was an incredible prep player at one point, as he gained a great deal of notoriety playing against top competition in AAU/Prep League. Crazy as it sounds it would not have been unrealistic for one to argue he was top 5 player in his class. I've posted a link where the coach of South Kent claims he was the best player in the entire prep league his jr year. Another one describes his stellar play against Brandon Rush (can't imagine that now) as one of the most memorable moments (#7) of Adidas ABCD camp. He also scored 46 points against Dorrell Wright's team at IS8. He actually committed to South Florida after gaining a great deal of weight (he wasnt back in shape as his coach asserts) his Sr year at South Kent.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/442824.html

http://www.insidehoops.com/abcd-camp-highlights.shtml

http://www.insidehoops.com/hs-rob-thomas-011605.shtml

This was, however, 4-5 years ago while he was a soph at St. Thomas More and a Jr at South Kent. Senior year he gained a lot of weight at SK and became solely a Power Forward. Even overweight he was still productive playing against top prep school competition. Then, as we all know, Academics/Knee Injury/Getting more out of shape have plagued him in college.

Hopefully he will continue to get into shape and become more effective from the perimeter. Personally, I'd rather take my chances on a former gem who is out of shape than borderline big east talent.

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2008, 06:36:58 PM »
Thomas actually was an incredible prep player at one point, as he gained a great deal of notoriety playing against top competition in AAU/Prep League. Crazy as it sounds it would not have been unrealistic for one to argue he was top 5 player in his class. I've posted a link where the coach of South Kent claims he was the best player in the entire prep league his jr year. Another one describes his stellar play against Brandon Rush (can't imagine that now) as one of the most memorable moments (#7) of Adidas ABCD camp. He also scored 46 points against Dorrell Wright's team at IS8. He actually committed to South Florida after gaining a great deal of weight (he wasnt back in shape as his coach asserts) his Sr year at South Kent.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/442824.html

http://www.insidehoops.com/abcd-camp-highlights.shtml

http://www.insidehoops.com/hs-rob-thomas-011605.shtml

This was, however, 4-5 years ago while he was a soph at St. Thomas More and a Jr at South Kent. Senior year he gained a lot of weight at SK and became solely a Power Forward. Even overweight he was still productive playing against top prep school competition. Then, as we all know, Academics/Knee Injury/Getting more out of shape have plagued him in college.

Hopefully he will continue to get into shape and become more effective from the perimeter. Personally, I'd rather take my chances on a former gem who is out of shape than borderline big east talent.

I was there at ABCD, it was a good performance.  Also, would like to point out that Dorrell Wright and Rob did not guard eachother at all that game.
Rob was a very, very good player, but then again so was Tiki Mayben.  Top five to me is insane.  Rob was always older and he was quick to develop even for his own age.

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2008, 06:40:49 PM »
Tiki's averaging 11 pts, 5.5 assists and 4 to's per game at Binghamton so far while shooting more like Jio and Ced than Malik.   :D

« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2008, 07:18:25 PM »
I didn't say that he was a top 5 player, only that I understand why someone would argue that he possibly could have been. I don't think he was either. But when a very, very well respected coach calls you the best player in the best league in high school basketball, I think you are worthy of being mentioned with anyone.

Tiki Mayben was also a year older than his age group but so are a ton of other D1 prospects. Tiki still has high D1 talent but he has been plagued a notoriously bad attitude (why Syracuse dropped him after committing his Soph year). He has no leadership skills whatsoever and unfortunatley plays a position where they are vital. Tiki was babied by AAU coaches since he was 15 years old and it has showed in his college experience thus far.

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2008, 07:20:10 PM »
I didn't say that he was a top 5 player, only that I understand why someone would argue that he possibly could have been. I don't think he was either. But when a very, very well respected coach calls you the best player in the best league in high school basketball, I think you are worthy of being mentioned with anyone.

Tiki Mayben was also a year older than his age group but so are a ton of other D1 prospects. Tiki still has high D1 talent but he has been plagued a notoriously bad attitude (why Syracuse dropped him after committing his Soph year). He has no leadership skills whatsoever and unfortunatley plays a position where they are vital. Tiki was babied by AAU coaches since he was 15 years old and it has showed in his college experience thus far.

Tiki has also been plagued by one of the worst unibrows I've ever seen.

« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2008, 07:34:03 PM »
lol your right about the unibrow wow. one of his assistant coaches at hudson valley coached me this year at a camp and he told me that he was a pleasure there and that umass just wasnt the right fit with him and that it wasnt because of attitude. i believe the guy. im not sure what happened at umass though
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2008, 10:05:41 PM »
Yes that Unibrow is terrible haha.

I respect your source but if you look at Mayben's past I honestly don't buy it. He started a few games early on at UMass after playing well and then lost that spot to Lowe who started the rest of the season. He then transferred......

Mayben quit a high school team that was losing midway through the year as a sophmore. He went to a prep school and dropped out of there before the season even started. The only place he shined in high school was in AAU where he got babied and always had his way. In college he has only done well at HVCC where it was joke how much more talented he was than his competition.

He is very talented but I doubt UMASS was any different than any other place he has been. He is quitter who has ruined a potentially great career because of a big EGO.