Daily news Howard game- Mase & Lance notes

• 10 replies
Daily news Howard game- Mase & Lance notes
« on: November 23, 2008, 10:17:22 AM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/11/22/2008-11-22_st_johns_blows_away_howard_7944.html

The news Friday night that St. John's had lost Anthony Mason Jr. for the season due to injury hurt. The 79-44 blowout win over Howard Saturday eases that sting, at least temporarily.

The problem is the pain figures to return when the Johnnies get into the brutal Big East schedule, if not sooner. Teams don't get over losing their top returning scorer that easily, but as coach Norm Roberts said, "Major injuries happen in college basketball."

Justin Burrell recalled the Friday night meeting in which Roberts told the team that the 6-7 forward would need season-ending surgery for a torn tendon in his right foot and how he initially couldn't "grasp not having him on the court." But after sleeping on it, his optimism returned. "We have great guys on our team - I believe that," he said. "We've been a little shy, a little timid about stepping up," Burrell said. "Now we have to."

The immediate focus fell on sophomore Paris Horne, Mason's primary replacement, and he liked the spotlight. In his first career start Saturday, Horne had 15 points on 6-for-12 shooting plus four rebounds, three assists and two blocked shots in 35 minutes at Carnesecca Arena.

D.J. Kennedy scored 11 of his 17 points as St. John's (3-1) opened the game with a 19-3 run. Horne had eight points and three assists in a 19-4 run that closed the half with the Johnnies in front 42-18.

"It might be Paris one night, it might be me another," said Burrell, who scored 14. "We've seen Sean Evans step up."

"We have to do it by committee," Roberts said.

Mason first felt pain in his foot in the week before the Nov. 14 opener, but was determined to play through it. The pain worsened and he felt a "pop" in the foot in the win over Cornell in the first-round NIT Tip-Off tournament in Boston. He struggled in the quarterfinal loss, but said he "wanted to do whatever it might take to get us to the Garden."

He missed all or part of 10 games last season because of an ankle injury. "I was thinking about how bad the experience was last season and I wasn't going to let it hurt," he told the Daily News. "When I went for tests this week, it was rattling in my head that I might be done. They said I could play, but that it would get worse and worse and worse and worse."

Mason is expected to get the year of eligibility back. It means that the one remaining scholarship the Storm had would go to him, but Roberts indicated that if another recruit - presumably he meant city star Lance Stephenson of Lincoln High - chooses the Johnnies, something will happen to accommodate him.

If true quote, surprised to hear a coach come right out & be quoted ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:19:05 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Randomhero423

Re: Daily news Howard game- Mase & Lance notes
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:05:57 AM »
at the press conference (i was there...) norm just said he will keep on recruiting and recruiting because you never know what could happen.  i do not remember him saying he will accommodate anybody. 

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 12:56:28 PM »
IMO he has to say something like that because otherwise there's a chance Lance looks at our situation and stops looking since he doesn't think there will be a scholarship for him. It's a given that this program can't turn down Lance Stephenson right now if he somehow wanted to come.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 02:39:33 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/2008/11/22/2008-11-22_st_johns_blows_away_howard_7944.html

The news Friday night that St. John's had lost Anthony Mason Jr. for the season due to injury hurt. The 79-44 blowout win over Howard Saturday eases that sting, at least temporarily.

The problem is the pain figures to return when the Johnnies get into the brutal Big East schedule, if not sooner. Teams don't get over losing their top returning scorer that easily, but as coach Norm Roberts said, "Major injuries happen in college basketball."

Justin Burrell recalled the Friday night meeting in which Roberts told the team that the 6-7 forward would need season-ending surgery for a torn tendon in his right foot and how he initially couldn't "grasp not having him on the court." But after sleeping on it, his optimism returned. "We have great guys on our team - I believe that," he said. "We've been a little shy, a little timid about stepping up," Burrell said. "Now we have to."

The immediate focus fell on sophomore Paris Horne, Mason's primary replacement, and he liked the spotlight. In his first career start Saturday, Horne had 15 points on 6-for-12 shooting plus four rebounds, three assists and two blocked shots in 35 minutes at Carnesecca Arena.

D.J. Kennedy scored 11 of his 17 points as St. John's (3-1) opened the game with a 19-3 run. Horne had eight points and three assists in a 19-4 run that closed the half with the Johnnies in front 42-18.

"It might be Paris one night, it might be me another," said Burrell, who scored 14. "We've seen Sean Evans step up."

"We have to do it by committee," Roberts said.

Mason first felt pain in his foot in the week before the Nov. 14 opener, but was determined to play through it. The pain worsened and he felt a "pop" in the foot in the win over Cornell in the first-round NIT Tip-Off tournament in Boston. He struggled in the quarterfinal loss, but said he "wanted to do whatever it might take to get us to the Garden."

He missed all or part of 10 games last season because of an ankle injury. "I was thinking about how bad the experience was last season and I wasn't going to let it hurt," he told the Daily News. "When I went for tests this week, it was rattling in my head that I might be done. They said I could play, but that it would get worse and worse and worse and worse."

Mason is expected to get the year of eligibility back. It means that the one remaining scholarship the Storm had would go to him, but Roberts indicated that if another recruit - presumably he meant city star Lance Stephenson of Lincoln High - chooses the Johnnies, something will happen to accommodate him.

If true quote, surprised to hear a coach come right out & be quoted ?

Marillac told ya'll this days ago ;)

Poison

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 03:41:02 PM »
kid either pays how own way, or he doesn't return.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 03:57:07 PM »
kid either pays how own way, or he doesn't return.

Or Ty is asked to transfer.

kjd01067

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 04:59:44 PM »
Thats a good point, I could actually see Mase Sr. paying for Mase Jr. final year so him and Lance could play together.

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 05:41:59 PM »
Could it be possible getting one of the players who has a high gpa a academic scholarship instead?

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 06:49:45 PM »
Thats a good point, I could actually see Mase Sr. paying for Mase Jr. final year so him and Lance could play together.

I agree with the Mase Sr comment. Could see that happening.

pmg911

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 10:58:11 AM »
Guys..  there will be an open scholarship for Lance if he wants to come here next season...    we have averaged 2+ trasnfers every year under this staff. .    there is nothing happening to make me believe that two more kids, for whatever reason, will not trasnsfer at season end.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 11:19:17 AM »
pmg,
would you give norm another year if he signs lance in april?